BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
tbucella
New Member
 
tbucella's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rochester, NY

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Question Shift Light for 6MT?

Has anyone installed a shift light on a six speed E9x M3? (Let's not discuss why BMW chose to omit this.) I would really like to install one.
tbucella is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
 
Genro757's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NOVA/Virginia Beach, VA

Posts: 670
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
I have shift lights on my BMW Performance Steering wheel...
__________________
2013 "Frozen Red Edition" E92 M3, M-DCT with all the 'fixin's, Akrapovic Evolution w/CF Tips, BPM Stage 2 Tune, BPM DCT Software
Genro757 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
SOARISTO
Enlisted Member
 
SOARISTO's Avatar
 
Drives: New M3 Coupe M-DCT
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Technopolis, Tokyo

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Cool

Hello, M3 Fighter Pilots!!

My M3 friend (6MT) has succeeded to install Shift Indicator, using the information of my site.

In Japan, some products are sold as follows.



This is DIGITAL type, like BMW Performance Steering LED.



This is ANALOG type.

These Shift Indicator is made by Pivot, and model list is here.



The Tacho Signal (Engine Spark Pulse Signal) can get form OBD-II Port.



Pin 9 is "Tacho Signal" and pin 4 or pin 5 is "Earth" (Signal Ground).



Some information about "Tacho Signal" (OBD-II Port) see here.
(Sorry, This site is written in Japanese.)

Last edited by SOARISTO; 05-10-2009 at 09:21 AM.
SOARISTO is offline   Japan
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
tbucella
New Member
 
tbucella's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rochester, NY

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Smile

Thanks for the information, I will look for this connector. I'm an Electrical Engineer so I will check out the signal with an oscilloscope.

This is very helpful!
tbucella is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

If someone can post a detailed DIY on this, that would be highly appreciated!
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
syncros
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal

Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Very interesting.
syncros is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
 
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Posts: 4,750
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genro757 View Post
I have shift lights on my BMW Performance Steering wheel...
I think if someone really wants shift lights, the Performance SW is the way to go! Plus you get the other functionallity that comes with it.
__________________
Mr.Metak2you is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
tbucella
New Member
 
tbucella's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rochester, NY

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
I think if someone really wants shift lights, the Performance SW is the way to go! Plus you get the other functionallity that comes with it.
I was just about to by a light when I read the above. When you get performance SW what is used as the light? What software would you recommend?
tbucella is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
SlammedR8
Brigadier General
 
SlammedR8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,936
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
Really? Some of you guys think this is necessary in a 6MT? I don't see why you would need it, and especially not the ones posted above. They belong in Hondas/Toyotas.

If you really want one, then throw the money down for a Performance SW
__________________
SlammedR8 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Really? Some of you guys think this is necessary in a 6MT? I don't see why you would need it, and especially not the ones posted above. They belong in Hondas/Toyotas.

If you really want one, then throw the money down for a Performance SW
To avoid catching the limiter on the track...I'd rather not spend $1k on a new steering wheel I don't need if I can find an alternative solution for much less.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
 
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Posts: 4,750
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbucella View Post
I was just about to by a light when I read the above. When you get performance SW what is used as the light? What software would you recommend?
The shift lights are on the steering wheel(see picture) Just check out this thread, PencilGeek did a nice write up.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163635

__________________
Mr.Metak2you is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
tbucella
New Member
 
tbucella's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rochester, NY

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
To avoid catching the limiter on the track...I'd rather not spend $1k on a new steering wheel I don't need if I can find an alternative solution for much less.
I agree. I misread the previous posts with performance SW as "performance software", hence my question about which SW. With all deference to those who have installed the performance wheel, I don't like the look of it, I prefer the standard wheel. In addition, the installation looks like a full days work for a pro, more if you are an amateur tinkerer. And... it does cost a $1000 bucks.

I have found two shift lights that look like winners and have made some paper tube models to try and figure out where to mount them. Right now I am leaning toward an A-pillar mount. But there are options within the tech screen recess, on top of the dash between the humps and also within the instrument cluster on the right side. I am also considering a single super bright LED mounted so it's completely out of sight when unlit. The solutions cost between $100-$150 and should be able to be installed in a couple of hours. It'll probably still take me some time to get around to it, but I'll post my install once I have it done.

Here are the shift lights I have been looking at:

http://www.raptorperformance.com/pro...hift_light.htm

http://www.speedhut.com/product_deta...NUMBER-737.htm

Or this one with an external lamp for a more stealthy install:

http://www.raptorperformance.com/pro...RPM_Switch.htm
tbucella is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #13
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbucella View Post
I agree. I misread the previous posts with performance SW as "performance software", hence my question about which SW. With all deference to those who have installed the performance wheel, I don't like the look of it, I prefer the standard wheel. In addition, the installation looks like a full days work for a pro, more if you are an amateur tinkerer. And... it does cost a $1000 bucks.

I have found two shift lights that look like winners and have made some paper tube models to try and figure out where to mount them. Right now I am leaning toward an A-pillar mount. But there are options within the tech screen recess, on top of the dash between the humps and also within the instrument cluster on the right side. I am also considering a single super bright LED mounted so it's completely out of sight when unlit. The solutions cost between $100-$150 and should be able to be installed in a couple of hours. It'll probably still take me some time to get around to it, but I'll post my install once I have it done.

Here are the shift lights I have been looking at:

http://www.raptorperformance.com/pro...hift_light.htm

http://www.speedhut.com/product_deta...NUMBER-737.htm

Or this one with an external lamp for a more stealthy install:

http://www.raptorperformance.com/pro...RPM_Switch.htm
Thanks for the info/links.

I would like to have the light right above the dash so that I don't have to look down or to the side. But if it is bright enough, it might not matter all that much as it would get your attention.

Please let us know how you end up setting this up. If you post a DIY for the wiring, that would be great; I'll add it to the DIY index.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
Factoy Pilot
Factory Pilot
 
Factoy Pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Jerez Blk ZCP 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Netherlands

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 528i  [0.00]
2013 M328i  [0.00]
2011 M3  [3.00]
Shift lights, REALLY? Why buy a MT? IMO I'd spend the $$$ on another mod.
__________________
Factoy Pilot is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
janeym3
Registered
 
Drives: Blue M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

M Performance Steering Wheel

This thread may have already answered your steering question, but I'm jazzed that this ties in perfectly with something I was listening to yesterday

http://stitcher.com/s?ABoAAKnyu=refid&twsn

Embedded in the steering wheel is a display embedded that features Gforces, with shift lights, an accelerometer, & a 1/4 mile mode, with red, yellow & green start. The audio specifically about the wheel is in the final 5 minutes of the clip linked above.
janeym3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #16
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,698
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
I tried for a week getting the DCT shift lights to work in a 6MT and I'm sorry to say that it seems impossible using the factory modules... I believe the DCT control unit is what sends the command to the cluster to make the lights go on, so without the DCT control unit in there there is nothing telling them to turn on ;(

I was really disappointed by this, but am going to look into adding a module which will make the shift lights work in manual cars.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #17
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-State

Posts: 557
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
I tried for a week getting the DCT shift lights to work in a 6MT and I'm sorry to say that it seems impossible using the factory modules... I believe the DCT control unit is what sends the command to the cluster to make the lights go on, so without the DCT control unit in there there is nothing telling them to turn on ;(

I was really disappointed by this, but am going to look into adding a module which will make the shift lights work in manual cars.

Good man, make it happen. I'll buy the first one.
__________________
S65NAPWR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
ruff1017
Private
 
ruff1017's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 6speed
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
I tried for a week getting the DCT shift lights to work in a 6MT and I'm sorry to say that it seems impossible using the factory modules... I believe the DCT control unit is what sends the command to the cluster to make the lights go on, so without the DCT control unit in there there is nothing telling them to turn on ;(

I was really disappointed by this, but am going to look into adding a module which will make the shift lights work in manual cars.


That will be great! I will get one also.Keep it up!
ruff1017 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 02:29 AM   #19
kaiv
Major
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedM6
Really? Some of you guys think this is necessary in a 6MT? I don't see why you would need it, and especially not the ones posted above. They belong in Hondas/Toyotas.

If you really want one, then throw the money down for a Performance SW
100% agree.

And if you need a light to tell you when to shift at an hpde that's kinda sad :X
kaiv is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 03:02 AM   #20
whats77inaname
Native Texan
 
Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

Posts: 1,758
iTrader: (16)

whats77inaname is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #21
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,112
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
That is pretty dumb.. The temp gauge looks like it is indicating boost? What if you actually want to use the temp gauge? That is probably the most valuable gauge when you are on track.
Z K is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #22
whats77inaname
Native Texan
 
Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

Posts: 1,758
iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
That is pretty dumb.. The temp gauge looks like it is indicating boost? What if you actually want to use the temp gauge? That is probably the most valuable gauge when you are on track.
Actually, it's programmable, and it's AFR.

whats77inaname is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
shift light

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST