BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

01-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
njdrive
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

Do Service Advisors make commission ?

Do Service Advisors make commission ?

Do the SA or BMW Techs / dealership mechanics get paid a percentage of the total cost of the repair? It never fails, I’ll bring the car in for one thing, they find 3 more things wrong.
I took my DD in for maintenance. I had the key to the M3 with me so I asked my SA to do a key read because I bought the M3 from another dealership a few weeks earlier. “oh wow, you need a brake fluid flush” and an air filter. The M3 only had 16,000. Last week my DD’s water pump died, I was back at the dealership. My SA said, wow I thought you were going to sell that car. (Yes, my SA has suggested that I should sell my E90 330i.) The next thing he said was, you still haven’t brought the M3 in for the flush and filter. Lucky for him, the service light went on this weekend, lucky for me, I’m still under warranty.

Do SAs get a cut of the final bill or some kind of incentive or award system for getting owners to approve additional repairs ?
      01-12-2015, 12:30 AM   #2
Seattle M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 Comp Pack

Absolutely!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
mjposner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

They also get rewarded for good grades (remember all 5s?). Apparently BMW has now changed to a 10 point scale.
My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
Helmsman
Major
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 AW ZCP 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
They also get rewarded for good grades (remember all 5s?). Apparently BMW has now changed to a 10 point scale.
This one is interesting - thanks. Will check if applied here too.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
SuckaGDog
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M

Yes lol...

If they are able to keep their CSI score above 95% (the score is from the surveys you fill out in the email) then they will make up to 7% of each repair order they write up on top of whatever their regular salary is. One my the advisers at my dealer makes $140-$200k a year but he is on another level compared to the other service advisers there. They milk the new car warranty and look for anything even remotely wrong with your car while it is under warranty. Both the techs and advisers benefit from the large dollar amounts from repair orders. Usually dealer management will offer large bonuses at the end of the month/ year depending on their performance. And there is sketchy stuff done at the service level to make this kind of money believe me, I've seen it all.

The percentage will be different depending on that particular dealer's policy I am just speaking from what I know at mine.

And the all 5s and 10s have always been there on the survey they just moved the questions around and the majority of the questions are scaled from 1-10, 10 being the highest.

Source: I work at one lol

Last edited by SuckaGDog; 01-12-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 04:08 PM   #6
modkrazy
Major
Rep
Drives: m3

I am going to give my substitute service adviser all 1s on the survey, because they've had my car for a week with no substantial updates, and he was a jittery nervous twit the whole time I was talking to him. Sucks for your bonus, bitch.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
Nuriaga
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: M3

I don't think they do. That would not be ethical.

Not that am anything near a trusted authority on ethics. After all, I spend a decent chunk of time circumventing the authorities around here just so I can break the rules over and over. They own me.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
JoeKixxon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

I don't know if they get commish or not, but I just had another great experience at BMW of Austin today.

Brought in my 2008 M3 for an oil change and inspection sticker. Got exactly that - nothing more or less.

The best part: My rear tire tread was right at the pass/fail level... no extra tread, just right there on the bubble. They passed me and gave me a heads-up on the (almost) low tread. Would have been such an easy time to sell me some new Pilot Super Sports. (Which I will buy from them anyway).

Oh and the car is out of warranty now, but they still offered me a service loaner at no charge. FOR AN OIL CHANGE! (I had a ride so I declined).

LOVE THOSE GUYS. BMW of AUSTIN ROCKS.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 08:59 PM   #9
WickedE93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

They get commission, I used to work at a Honda dealer back in the day. Dealerships are fine when under warranty because it's not coming out of pocket but beware once you're out of it unless you formed nice tight bond with your service writer over the period of time you warranty was active. Otherwise I advise finding a good indy shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog View Post
Yes lol...

If they are able to keep their CSI score above 95% (the score is from the surveys you fill out in the email) then they will make up to 7% of each repair order they write up on top of whatever their regular salary is. One my the advisers at my dealer makes $140-$200k a year but he is on another level compared to the other service advisers there. They milk the new car warranty and look for anything even remotely wrong with your car while it is under warranty. Both the techs and advisers benefit from the large dollar amounts from repair orders. Usually dealer management will offer large bonuses at the end of the month/ year depending on their performance. And there is sketchy stuff done at the service level to make this kind of money believe me, I've seen it all.

The percentage will be different depending on that particular dealer's policy I am just speaking from what I know at mine.

And the all 5s and 10s have always been there on the survey they just moved the questions around and the majority of the questions are scaled from 1-10, 10 being the highest.

Why the hell do some dealers try not to cover stuff that should be covered?? You read stories all the time of the dealer not wanting to cover stuff under warranty.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #11
mjposner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Why the hell do some dealers try not to cover stuff that should be covered? Because they no or believe they will not get reimbursed from the factory. If you want a good laugh look at the shop manuals BMW uses. For many issues it will say, tell customer hat it is supposed to sound/act/do that, and if and only if customer complains do service x to fix.

As for SAs, I always give my guy 5s (now 10s) even if they take too long or screw up because I need him on my side at all times.
My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #12
WickedE93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Why the hell do some dealers try not to cover stuff that should be covered?? You read stories all the time of the dealer not wanting to cover stuff under warranty.
Because for certain types of jobs the approval of the service manager is required and he or she is on a different system than the service adviser (ways to obtain a bonus ETC).
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #13
MTM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
I am going to give my substitute service adviser all 1s on the survey, because they've had my car for a week with no substantial updates, and he was a jittery nervous twit the whole time I was talking to him. Sucks for your bonus, bitch.
Just curious...what dealer is it at?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #14
Flying Ace
aviateur de premičre classe
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic E90 M3, X5d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog View Post
Yes lol...

wow, no wonder SA's never says no to anything you bring up regarding the car...the Service Manager is the control ensuring that BMW doesn't fix frivolous items.
      01-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #15
1MOREMOD
2015 Track Days - 7|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
wow, no wonder SA's never says no to anything you bring up regarding the car...the Service Manager is the control ensuring that BMW doesn't fix frivolous items.
Yep they will try to fix things you think are the problem even if it isnt!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
SuckaGDog
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
The tech can write down what he believes will fix the problem but lets say for example he has to get the shop foreman approval and that foreman disagrees then you have a situation of them not wanting to cover that item or component. The foreman is the one who says yes or no to cover something under warranty along with the service director/manager. But sometimes the dealer has to eat the cost if the warranty doesn't want to cover something and is looking out for customer retention and good relations.

Or if the foreman says ok but it escalates to BMW NA for some reason and the regional engineer comes out to inspect they can say yes or no.

Just a few examples of why something might not end up being covered.

Along with the sketchiness I mentioned in the previous post I will explain a bit on it. Here is a situation I've seen involving 3rd party warranty, customer brings in car and complains about oil leak and tech notes down it requires replacement of external line along with the internal line that goes into the engine. Said replacement time was 12hrs but tech got it done in much less time than that, about 3hrs.

Long story short customer found out through various channels and requested management to inspect, dealer inspected and it turns out the internal line was never replaced. The original date of manufacture on that part was year model of car. So the tech pocketed the extra paid labor hours plus parts. This also benefited the service adviser who wrote the car up because they make money off repair orders.

So moral of the story is if you are feeling like you are getting played or getting your 3rd party extended warranty milked ask for the old parts back. Normally 3rd party warranty companies don't require old parts to be sent to them, hardly ever. Only things replaced under BMW warranty are required to be sent back.

3rd party warranties are actually capped to value of your car at the time of purchase and or the total repairs accumulated to the value of the car at the time it is in for repairs. If you read the fine print on your contract it will state their exact policies regarding it. If you get repairs authorized by the warranty company but the work isn't actually performed not only is it screwing the warranty company it is screwing you back because it is taking away from your allowed dollar amount for future repairs.

Hope this answers anyone's questions and sorry for the mess I was trying to type it quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKixxon View Post
I don't know if they get commish or not, but I just had another great experience at BMW of Austin today.

Brought in my 2008 M3 for an oil change and inspection sticker. Got exactly that - nothing more or less.

The best part: My rear tire tread was right at the pass/fail level... no extra tread, just right there on the bubble. They passed me and gave me a heads-up on the (almost) low tread. Would have been such an easy time to sell me some new Pilot Super Sports. (Which I will buy from them anyway).

Oh and the car is out of warranty now, but they still offered me a service loaner at no charge. FOR AN OIL CHANGE! (I had a ride so I declined).

BMW of Austin is very good one of the best dealers in Texas, no doubt.

Last edited by SuckaGDog; 01-13-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Appreciate 1
aus148

01-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #17
Wilsel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Currently seeking

No wonder they are always trying to sell alignments on cars under warranty with very little miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #18
Patrón
4th ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS 625 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKixxon View Post

I've heard nothing but great things about Austin BMW.
      01-13-2015, 10:21 PM   #19
Race_Doc11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi RS5 & 08 M3 E93 SOLD

Garage List
2013 Audi RS5  [5.00]
2008 E93 M3  [5.00]
Yes! Absolutely on commission..
Appreciate 0