BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Acute Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
CalSE
New Member
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: OC

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

Idle Dip at Engine Start-up | 2011 E92 M3

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.....

1. Engine first start-up in the morning: once the cold start sequence is completed, no idle fluctuations and off I go.

2. Engine start-up about two to three hours after shutdown: about 10 seconds after the cold start sequence is completed, the idle quickly dips from about 700 rpm to 500 rpm and then quickly bounces back to up to 700 rpm. The engine sounds like it is choking and starting to die when this dip occurs.

3. Also tried start-up again after say 15 minutes but no dip. It seems to only occur when I wait two to three hours later.

Any thoughts?
CalSE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,865
iTrader: (5)

What year is your car ? Some of the M3s have an ICV "Idle Control Valve" issues which can be replaced under warranty if that's the issue.
You run 93 octane all the time ?
Get in the habit of using a reputable gas stations,also try to run an injector cleaner every couple thousand miles.
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
CalSE
New Member
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: OC

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

It is a 2011 E92 M3, I use 91 octane here in CA, and I go to Chevron or Shell only.

Note that the idle dip only occurs at start-up as I mentioned in the OP. No dip, at least I don't notice anyways, while driving or at a stop light.
CalSE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,865
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///E-Rod///
It is a 2011 E92 M3, I use 91 octane here in CA, and I go to Chevron or Shell only.

Note that the idle dip only occurs at start-up as I mentioned in the OP. No dip, at least I don't notice anyways, while driving or at a stop light.
The E9X M3 S65 doesn't have an air mass meter so the rpm keeps jumping between 400-700 till it warms up.
It gets the afr from the primary O2 sensors. So you are fine and I won't worry about anything.
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,406
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Every time I've had this happen on previous BMWs, I'd run a tank or two back-to-back of Techron concentrate and it cleared up. A few times, the rpms would bounce rapidly like this:



and

__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
CalSE
New Member
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: OC

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Every time I've had this happen on previous BMWs, I'd run a tank or two back-to-back of Techron concentrate and it cleared up. A few times, the rpms would bounce rapidly like this:
Wow! That is really bad! Makes my single idle dip seem minor. Thanks for sharing.
CalSE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,324
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
The E9X M3 S65 doesn't have an air mass meter so the rpm keeps jumping between 400-700 till it warms up.
It gets the afr from the primary O2 sensors. So you are fine and I won't worry about anything.
Has nothing to do with not having a mass airflow meter. It has a MAP sensor which is arguably more accurate because you get pressure in the manifold instead of a reading of metered air flowing in.

My car did that twice in 5 years and 48k miles. Old software can cause this issue. BMW deems it "normal". Removing the cold start routine would likely get rid of that completely.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
RBB
First Lieutenant
 
RBB's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NOVA

Posts: 344
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Has nothing to do with not having a mass airflow meter. It has a MAP sensor which is arguably more accurate because you get pressure in the manifold instead of a reading of metered air flowing in.

My car did that twice in 5 years and 48k miles. Old software can cause this issue. BMW deems it "normal". Removing the cold start routine would likely get rid of that completely.
My car starting doing that this fall as the temps got colder in the mornings. The idle would bounce around during the cold start sequence for a couple seconds.

As usual, Mike is correct. I had ESS send me another version of my tune with cold start removed and I haven't had any problems since.
RBB is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
tmntmn
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 1,826
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Has nothing to do with not having a mass airflow meter. It has a MAP sensor which is arguably more accurate because you get pressure in the manifold instead of a reading of metered air flowing in.

My car did that twice in 5 years and 48k miles. Old software can cause this issue. BMW deems it "normal". Removing the cold start routine would likely get rid of that completely.
Hey Mike should we use Techron concentrate Plus in our cars? been doing searches but its been 50/50 review some say its bad some said they use it often. Even read something about BMW rebranded Techron cleaners
__________________
THANKS TO:~<RPM>~~<SONICMS>~ ~<MODECARBON>~ ~<McKenna Performance>~
MODS: MODE CARBON GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (POWDER COATED),LUX V4, MTECH 6K D1S, KW SLEEVES, Megan Exhaust, ACM TP, BMS FIX, BMW LED INTERIOR
tmntmn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,284
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
Hey Mike should we use Techron concentrate Plus in our cars? been doing searches but its been 50/50 review some say its bad some said they use it often. Even read something about BMW rebranded Techron cleaners
Ive been using Techron since day one and have not use any other gas station in my M3 and its been 4 years 76k miles and the only problem on idle i had within 76k miles was

1. fuel low pressure sensor (REPLACED) fixed the issue
2. bad gas recently (idle at 700 then drops to 400/500 and almost stall thens go back to normal) keep in mind that it does not go up more than 700 rpm... filled it full tank of Chevron 91 and a Techron bottle and it stopped.

so im guessing its working.
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
tmntmn
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 1,826
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
Ive been using Techron since day one and have not use any other gas station in my M3 and its been 4 years 76k miles and the only problem on idle i had within 76k miles was

1. fuel low pressure sensor (REPLACED) fixed the issue
2. bad gas recently (idle at 700 then drops to 400/500 and almost stall thens go back to normal) keep in mind that it does not go up more than 700 rpm... filled it full tank of Chevron 91 and a Techron bottle and it stopped.

so im guessing its working.
Thanks Sean
__________________
THANKS TO:~<RPM>~~<SONICMS>~ ~<MODECARBON>~ ~<McKenna Performance>~
MODS: MODE CARBON GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (POWDER COATED),LUX V4, MTECH 6K D1S, KW SLEEVES, Megan Exhaust, ACM TP, BMS FIX, BMW LED INTERIOR
tmntmn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST