BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Zeus69
Second Lieutenant
Zeus69's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
217
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Stealth subwoofer box for E90?

I found this online. I realize the product description says "E92 Coupe" (I have an E90 Sedan), but curious exactly what the difference in dimensions is for the battery corner between Coupe/Sedan. Why wouldn't this fit my 4-door?

http://wickedcas.com/product.php?pro...&cat=10&page=1
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
irish100p
New Member
1
Rep
29
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

The guys there are great. If you send them a message or give them a call they will definitely get back with you on the fitment for a Sedan. I have used their boxes before and they sound great, look nearly factory, and are definitely at a great price.

James
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
kmarei
Major General
kmarei's Avatar
Egypt
130
Rep
6,481
Posts

 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

iTrader: (33)

Garage List
i had their box for the E92
kicks ass
sounds damn good
i had a Jl 10W3v3 sub in it
sounds damn tight
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,187
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus69 View Post
I found this online. I realize the product description says "E92 Coupe" (I have an E90 Sedan), but curious exactly what the difference in dimensions is for the battery corner between Coupe/Sedan. Why wouldn't this fit my 4-door?

http://wickedcas.com/product.php?pro...&cat=10&page=1
Please support your local forum vendor: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623726
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Zeus69
Second Lieutenant
Zeus69's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
217
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

I just called them (should've done this before I posted ) and they are in the process of making a stealth box for the E90. It will go on the driver's side. Should be ready in about a week or two. I will be ordering one ($349) and will share my impressions...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Zeus69
Second Lieutenant
Zeus69's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
217
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Please support your local forum vendor: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623726
Good call. Sent them a PM. Haven't ordered anything yet...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,187
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus69 View Post
Good call. Sent them a PM. Haven't ordered anything yet...
MusicarNW OEM-like subs kits are PnP, by the way...
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
808MGuy
Colonel
808MGuy's Avatar
49
Rep
2,287
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
MusicarNW OEM-like subs kits are PnP, by the way...
One difference I noticed is that this enclosure is supposed to fit a JL W6. Might be a draw to some people looking to fit a deeper sub than the musicarNW enclosure can accommodate. Not sure why they are choosing to put it on the drivers side though. That occupies some useful space to mount amps and processors.

I have the musicarNW enclosure and its great. PnP is great and the fit is great. No need to bolt it down because the fit is perfect. This makes it easier for me to work on it or remove it as needed. Paired with the Morel Ultimo SC sub, its hard to beat.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
53
Rep
1,872
Posts

 
Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I have the musicarNW enclosure and its great. PnP is great and the fit is great. No need to bolt it down because the fit is perfect. This makes it easier for me to work on it or remove it as needed. Paired with the Morel Ultimo SC sub, its hard to beat.
Really? Whenever I make a hard turn, it goes tumbling across the trunk. I'm going to work on velcro'ing it down today, as a matter of fact.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
ILSMKU's Avatar
No_Country
33
Rep
1,888
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Really? Whenever I make a hard turn, it goes tumbling across the trunk. I'm going to work on velcro'ing it down today, as a matter of fact.
Thats my only issue with my music car sub box. I wish it was on the drivers side so I can easily access my battery. Its a PITA to pull the plastic push pin out when you need to get to the battery. Without the push pin in, my box tumbles out too.
__________________
///2013 AW 6MT E92 ZCP M3/// Black 359M Wheels/BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Mirror Caps/Arkym AeroSport Front Lip/Turner 15MM Spacers/LUX 8 LED Halo/IND Gloss Black Grills, Gills and M3 Emblem/30% 3M Tint/BMW Interior LED/MusicCar Subwoofer Enclosure/JL Audio 12" W6 Sub and XD600:1 Amp/Euro Sunglasses Tray/Ceramic Coated Megan Racing Exhaust/AFe Dry Air Filter/RPI Intake Scoops/Euro MDM/Feature Coded.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Thats my only issue with my music car sub box. I wish it was on the drivers side so I can easily access my battery. Its a PITA to pull the plastic push pin out when you need to get to the battery. Without the push pin in, my box tumbles out too.
+1

Plenty of room for amps, etc. under the panel on the floor.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
808MGuy
Colonel
808MGuy's Avatar
49
Rep
2,287
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Really? Whenever I make a hard turn, it goes tumbling across the trunk. I'm going to work on velcro'ing it down today, as a matter of fact.
Mine is really tight. I have to throw some of my weight into it just to get it to sit in place. It needs a pretty good tug to get it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
+1

Plenty of room for amps, etc. under the panel on the floor.
Depends on what kind of amps. I can only fit one under there
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Depends on what kind of amps. I can only fit one under there
Most just use the XD so there is no issue but I hear what you're saying. Although when I test fitted my HD amp there, it appears it will work.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
9
Rep
724
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Really? Whenever I make a hard turn, it goes tumbling across the trunk. I'm going to work on velcro'ing it down today, as a matter of fact.
I would think this would be a reason to look at a different option.

Getting at the battery is important, but to think the thing is going to roll across the trunk at every turn....
__________________
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan free flow exhaust | Dinan performance engine software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio upgrade | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10 et 20 | Michelin PSS 245/30/20 and 275/30/20 | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinzo View Post
I would think this would be a reason to look at a different option.

Getting at the battery is important, but to think the thing is going to roll across the trunk at every turn....
There is no issue of that with the MusicarNW one. It bolts in place.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
kmarei
Major General
kmarei's Avatar
Egypt
130
Rep
6,481
Posts

 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

iTrader: (33)

Garage List
i used velcro on the wickedcas one
never had any issues with the enclosure moving
i had a 10W3V3 which is a heavy sub
no issues
had it hooked up with an Xd600/1 on the left side under the trunk trim
worked perfectly
that amp kicks ass
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
IrishCoffee
First Lieutenant
IrishCoffee's Avatar
6
Rep
370
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '14 328i, '14 1LE
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
One difference I noticed is that this enclosure is supposed to fit a JL W6. Might be a draw to some people looking to fit a deeper sub than the musicarNW enclosure can accommodate. Not sure why they are choosing to put it on the drivers side though. That occupies some useful space to mount amps and processors.

I have the musicarNW enclosure and its great. PnP is great and the fit is great. No need to bolt it down because the fit is perfect. This makes it easier for me to work on it or remove it as needed. Paired with the Morel Ultimo SC sub, its hard to beat.
I'm assuming the reason they did this is because it seems that there are 2 different configurations on the drivers side. Some people have the floor section with the little access hatch raised up. Not sure why. Maybe because they have additional electronics or something.

EDIT: I misread the original post. Thought it was saying why NOT use the driver's side. Turns out that was someone else's quesiton

Last edited by IrishCoffee; 10-25-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
808MGuy
Colonel
808MGuy's Avatar
49
Rep
2,287
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
I'm assuming the reason they did this is because it seems that there are 2 different configurations on the drivers side. Some people have the floor section with the little access hatch raised up. Not sure why. Maybe because they have additional electronics or something.
The taller trim is for cars fitted with the optional CD changer. My car did not come with that but I bought the trim piece for a CD changer equipped car so that I could mount another amp in that location. I mounted a Zapco DC500.1 above the factory hi-fi amp and it looks like that could be room for one more above that.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #19
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
The taller trim is for cars fitted with the optional CD changer. My car did not come with that but I bought the trim piece for a CD changer equipped car so that I could mount another amp in that location. I mounted a Zapco DC500.1 above the factory hi-fi amp and it looks like that could be room for one more above that.
Most definitely. I have seen as many as 3 stacked in that area.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #20
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
53
Rep
1,872
Posts

 
Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
There is no issue of that with the MusicarNW one. It bolts in place.
I have a MusicarNW box. Picked it up used a few months ago, but I didn't get a bolt. I saw there was a hook and loop strip on the back of it near the top, so I just added the other part on the battery box insert. Dunno how well it will work yet, as the car won't be drivable for a few more days while I finish up some odds and ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Mine is really tight. I have to throw some of my weight into it just to get it to sit in place. It needs a pretty good tug to get it out.



Depends on what kind of amps. I can only fit one under there
I had that issue, as well. I just wanted to add an amp and a sub. I have an ID10V3D2 from a previous install that I figured would be excellent, but I couldn't find an amp that was small enough to fit in the space under the tire hatch. Everything I looked @ was too tall (over 2"), and didn't offer what I was looking for (2 ohm, 1 channel). Given the size constraints, I knew I would have to have a Class D. After searching literally every day for a couple weeks, I found this:

http://www.soundstream.com/html/amps-picasso-nano.html

Only 1.5" tall. Fits *perfectly*. I'll give it a whirl when I finish with everything and see how I like it. Should be fine, though.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 10-26-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #21
Zeus69
Second Lieutenant
Zeus69's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
217
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus69 View Post
I found this online. I realize the product description says "E92 Coupe" (I have an E90 Sedan), but curious exactly what the difference in dimensions is for the battery corner between Coupe/Sedan. Why wouldn't this fit my 4-door?

http://wickedcas.com/product.php?pro...=10&page=1
Please support your local forum vendor: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623726
I sent a message to the vendor for musicar a couple of weeks ago and have yet to hear anything back
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #22
DavidZ
Second Lieutenant
DavidZ's Avatar
7
Rep
228
Posts

 
Drives: '11.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Most definitely. I have seen as many as 3 stacked in that area.
I fit 4 amps AND an Alpine PXA-H800 in there.

+1 for Musicar sub enclosure.

/threadjack
__________________
'11.5 M3 sedan | Jerez Black Metallic | 6MT | M Performance Exhaust | no DCT no EDC no NAV no nonsense
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST