BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Vorsteiner
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-20-2012, 03:11 AM   #23
paradocs98
Major
paradocs98's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
1,350
Posts

Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Glad you trusted your instincts and persevered. Their strategy really does seem to be one of blowing the customer off/denying any issues until the warranty has expired...
__________________
IB E90 M3 ZCP returned to BMW FS
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #24
MRM55
Private First Class
MRM55's Avatar
1
Rep
185
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 E92
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Thanks for the detailed account and sharing this info. This is extremely valuable for all of us on this forum. Glad you got it worked out, finally.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:03 AM   #25
truths2k05
Banned
United_States
1
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 11 M3 6 SPD, 12 135i PPK DCT
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Palm Trees And Sun

iTrader: (0)

Great! my 2011 is doing the same thing. I thought that I was paranoid and hearing things, but the ticking is definitely there. In order for me to reproduce it the oil has to be a tick past 210 and all I need to do is modulate the throttle between 1800 and 3300rpm and it will do it every time. The noise increases or decreases according to rpm.

Last edited by truths2k05; 12-21-2012 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Misspell
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:27 AM   #26
e92involved
Captain
e92involved's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
646
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by truths2k05 View Post
Great! my 2011 is doing the same thing. I thought that I was paranoid and hearing things, but the ticking is definitely there. In order for me to reproduce it the oil has to be a tick past 210 and all I need to do is modulate the throttle between 1800 and 3300rpm and it will do it every time. The noise increases or decreases according to rpm.
Damn sorry to hear that dude, what are you going to do?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #27
truths2k05
Banned
United_States
1
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 11 M3 6 SPD, 12 135i PPK DCT
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Palm Trees And Sun

iTrader: (0)

Dealership time. What really sucks is that the DCT in my 135 has an open puma case on it as we speak. This would be the third time my 135 goes in for DCT lagging,surging......you name it. My M3 has 19k miles, oil changed every 5k miles and yet I'm still dealing with this nonsense. The M3 only sees 93 octane, the only time it saw 91 octane was in Amsterdam during the ED, so fuel quality is not causing detonation. I've had to deal with problems on three of the four Bmws that I have leased in recent times. I had a 08 335i that left me stranded several times with three separate Hpfp failures, and overheating issues as well. What saddens me is that I was going to keep the M3 as it is the last of the v8's. That notion is completely out the window now. I will either be picking up the 2014+ M3 as a replacement or get an m5 when my lease is up. BMW needs to get their $&@t together. I am much to busy to be dealing with this back and forth at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #28
e92zero
Captain
26
Rep
709
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 BW
Join Date: May 2010
Location: somewhere in US

iTrader: (0)

Just wondering, does anyone that have this ticking sound done any oil analysis? Would be interesting to see if anything stands out from the report.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #29
erm324
Major
No_Country
34
Rep
1,055
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

I have this ticking sound, sent out oil and it came back clean.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #30
ArthurJGuy
Private
ArthurJGuy's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: e46 beater, e92 ///M shopping
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324 View Post
I have this ticking sound, sent out oil and it came back clean.
What weight, brand, and type of oil?
__________________
03 325i - Daily Driver
05 GTO 750 RWHP - For Sale
09 e92 - Pending purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #31
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
659
Rep
6,980
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3/99 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

OP, thanks for sharing. Hope the engine holds up and your baby is good to go.

To everyone else that hasn't heard this problem, it's VERY obvious. Well in my opinion anyway. Heard it on an M3 I rented in Germany. This is nothing liek the injector noises at all. It's like the video OP stated, but probably even louder in person.
__________________
Current: 2008 BMW M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. 1999 BMW M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. On the list: BMW M2 Long Beach Blue/Black/6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #32
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
39
Rep
2,793
Posts

Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
Just wondering, does anyone that have this ticking sound done any oil analysis? Would be interesting to see if anything stands out from the report.
I don't have the ticking sound but my oil report looked like poo.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #33
surewin
///M3mber
surewin's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
240
Posts

Drives: AW '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southern CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by truths2k05 View Post
Dealership time. What really sucks is that the DCT in my 135 has an open puma case on it as we speak. This would be the third time my 135 goes in for DCT lagging,surging......you name it. My M3 has 19k miles, oil changed every 5k miles and yet I'm still dealing with this nonsense. The M3 only sees 93 octane, the only time it saw 91 octane was in Amsterdam during the ED, so fuel quality is not causing detonation. I've had to deal with problems on three of the four Bmws that I have leased in recent times. I had a 08 335i that left me stranded several times with three separate Hpfp failures, and overheating issues as well. What saddens me is that I was going to keep the M3 as it is the last of the v8's. That notion is completely out the window now. I will either be picking up the 2014+ M3 as a replacement or get an m5 when my lease is up. BMW needs to get their $&t together. I am much to busy to be dealing with this back and forth at the dealership.
That is really sad to hear. I'm surprised that you'll still go w/ BMW after all the problems you had with your cars. Hope all goes well.
__________________

Alpine White | Carbon Fiber Roof | 6-Speed | Inconel M Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 01:01 AM   #34
andysk585
Enlisted Member
andysk585's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 2012 E92 Alpine M3
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuts View Post
Bottom Line: While I am satisfied that issue is resolved, I am still concerned about longevity of the engine and the dealership's skill in rebuilding the engine (why not give me a new engine - probably would have been a close wash versus all the time it took to rebuild). While I do have a two year warranty on the parts replaced, I am concerned I won't have a leg to stand on if something similar goes wrong within those 2 years. All I want is to enjoy (with piece of mind) driving my M3; but this enjoyment has been taken away by BMW because this long and grueling experience is still in the back of my mind. Selling it is always an option, but I don't believe that is a solution to the problem. I fault BMW for this entire (and continued) un-JOYous experience which has led to legal action against BMW.

Thanks for listening.

Best Regards,
Blaine
OP, i am going through the same exact noise. Already went to the dealer and diagnosis was heat shield on exhaust manifold. However, not sure if I should push them or just get the rod bearing upgrade at my indishop. Like so many others listed, i dont trust the dealer's techs. Im sure there are great ones out there, I just dont know if they'll be the ones working on my M. How is your car running?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 02:34 AM   #35
Dave07997S
Colonel
62
Rep
2,775
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: El Segundo, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysk585 View Post
OP, i am going through the same exact noise. Already went to the dealer and diagnosis was heat shield on exhaust manifold. However, not sure if I should push them or just get the rod bearing upgrade at my indishop. Like so many others listed, i dont trust the dealer's techs. Im sure there are great ones out there, I just dont know if they'll be the ones working on my M. How is your car running?
Did you see the date of the original post...he may not be on the board that much anymore.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow VMRV810 19x10&19X11 275/295 Mich PSS.
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #36
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
thekurgan's Avatar
United_States
92
Rep
3,281
Posts

Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Did you see the date of the original post...he may not be on the board that much anymore.

Dave
+1, started ticking again and sold the car
__________________
02 E39M5 | TiAg/Schwartz | Tubi Rumore | Ultimate Ti Pedals | E60 SSK
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #37
andysk585
Enlisted Member
andysk585's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 2012 E92 Alpine M3
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
+1, started ticking again and sold the car
Yea.. i was hoping he was still on. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #38
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
thekurgan's Avatar
United_States
92
Rep
3,281
Posts

Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysk585 View Post
Yea.. i was hoping he was still on. Thanks.
I was kidding though. He may still be here.
__________________
02 E39M5 | TiAg/Schwartz | Tubi Rumore | Ultimate Ti Pedals | E60 SSK
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:37 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST