BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Racewerkz Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
bluekn8286
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

Considering a new exhaust

Hello everyone, so, I am currently considering a new exhaust for my e92 M3 and got a quote on the price, about $3500 for an Eisemann Race exhaust, but I am somewhat hesitant to spend that large of an amount. Can anyone chime in on their overall experience before/after buying a new exhaust? Was it worth the money? I need a little convincing

Thanks everyone
bluekn8286 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
X2Board
Late Apex
 
X2Board's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 X5 M
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wake County, NC

Posts: 789
iTrader: (1)

Are you looking for awesome sound, or awesome sound with additional power. If you are just in it for the sound, I would suggest the OEM exhaust mod (Perforated pipe replacement method)

If you want to lose some weight (mostly in your wallet) and gain a bit of performance, then get the Eisenmann or Akra. I went with the $500.00 option and I'm very happy with it. (I purchased a used unit for $150 instead of hacking my new OEM exhaust or it would have been just $350.00)
__________________
2015 YMB/Silverstone F80 M3 6sp -Ordered- ED on 12/5
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - For Sale! Send me a PM for details.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
2009 Montego Blue/Grey E90 335i -Gone-
X2Board is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
sycd
Lieutenant
 
sycd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 409
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Do you like loud? Eisenmann race is loud as hell for just a muffler. It's got some bassy punch at low rpm and at high rpm it lets the engine noise come through, with an almost exotic note, not obnoxious. Lots of resonance inside between 2-3k as well. I have a love and hate relationship with that exhaust, sometimes it feels too loud, other days I wouldn't have it any other way. BTW I really, really like the looks of the Eisenmann as well.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks in the bay area with an Eisenmann, you should really try to hear it in person.
__________________
2013 X5 xDrive50i | Carbon Black | M Sport + M Perf, 333M Wheels
Sold: 2012 E92 M3 | Jet Black, Fox Red/Black | DCT, ZCP

Last edited by sycd; 12-06-2012 at 09:29 AM.
sycd is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
carter2
Registered
 
Drives: bmw 5 series
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: usa

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

You are going in the right direction with exhausts. Eisenmann and REMUS are top notch systems and I would stick with the Sport versions in both cases if you want a modest increase in sound
carter2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
ROB_S2K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT8
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,771
iTrader: (4)

I would highly recommend Corsa. The sound is just an amazing high pitched wail with absolutely no drone inside the car.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT-8

(2012 | Laguna Seca Blue | Rust Brown | Individual | 6MT) SOLD
ROB_S2K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
SV Concepts
 
SV Concepts's Avatar
 
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 1460 White Oaks Rd. Suite F. Campbell, CA 95008

Posts: 5,869
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter2 View Post
You are going in the right direction with exhausts. Eisenmann and REMUS are top notch systems and I would stick with the Sport versions in both cases if you want a modest increase in sound
+1. Both very well made and REMUS offers some really attractive carbon accented tips as well.
SV Concepts is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
 
PhillyNate's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 2,035
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
Do you like loud? Eisenmann race is loud as hell for just a muffler. It's got some bassy punch at low rpm and at high rpm it lets the engine noise come through, with an almost exotic note, not obnoxious. Lots of resonance inside between 2-3k as well. I have a love and hate relationship with that exhaust, sometimes it feels too loud, other days I wouldn't have it any other way. BTW I really, really like the looks of the Eisenmann as well.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks in the bay area with an Eisenmann, you should really try to hear it in person.
This sums up the Eisenmann Race PERFECTLY. I agree with everything except the love and hate part. I love mine period. I never feel it's too loud either. Spot on with that minor amendment.
__________________

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT-86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
PhillyNate is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
 
the_road_less_traveled's Avatar
 
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw
Join Date: May 2012
Location: the lake

Posts: 1,101
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
This sums up the Eisenmann Race PERFECTLY. I agree with everything except the love and hate part. I love mine period. I never feel it's too loud either. Spot on with that minor amendment.
ER sounds like a beast for just a muffler. I actually love the drone, makes the driving experience that much more visceral. Its not my DD, but still think I'd be fine with the drone on a daily basis. The on throttle sound is massive and the off throttle (motor coming back down to idle) has a beautiful note as well. I'm looking for an X-Pipe to make it louder. If you go this route, be sure to get one with resonators or the rasp could be unbearable. You can find used ER's on here weekly basis and for abotu half of what you were quoted. I paid $1800 shipped with connecting pipes and it looked like absolutely brand new.

Heres a poor quality vid of mine. It sounds much better in person. A lot of the exotic notes are muddied down.

the_road_less_traveled is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
FogCityM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,565
iTrader: (0)

If cat-back only (and no x-pipe), M Performance exhaust is a good option. Has a unique sound quite unlike any other exhaust out there and will definitely differentiate your vehicle, made of a different allow/Inconel (Eisenmann's comparable Inconel system is $7.5k), OEM quality/warranty, engraved ///M exhaust tips, no drone, saves ~20 lbs, and doesn't lose any hp/torque in low and mid-range like a lot of cat-backs have shown (although is only for sound..no material hp gains either). With parts deals, can be gotten around $3,300, which is still expensive tho.
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
 
PhillyNate's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 2,035
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy View Post
ER sounds like a beast for just a muffler. I actually love the drone, makes the driving experience that much more visceral. Its not my DD, but still think I'd be fine with the drone on a daily basis. The on throttle sound is massive and the off throttle (motor coming back down to idle) has a beautiful note as well. I'm looking for an X-Pipe to make it louder. If you go this route, be sure to get one with resonators or the rasp could be unbearable. You can find used ER's on here weekly basis and for abotu half of what you were quoted. I paid $1800 shipped with connecting pipes and it looked like absolutely brand new.

Heres a poor quality vid of mine. It sounds much better in person. A lot of the exotic notes are muddied down.

...also accurate. This is my feeling about the drone as well.
__________________

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT-86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
PhillyNate is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
Chriskm3
Colonel
 
Chriskm3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,218
iTrader: (4)

Where are the akra supporters
Chriskm3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
mamadub
Captain
 
mamadub's Avatar
 
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Arizona

Posts: 822
iTrader: (0)

I have the Eisenmann Sport Black Series and I just love it. It's not terribly loud, but louder than stock. I actually had a guy follow me off the highway a week or so back who commented on how great it sounded. In my opinion, Eisenmann is worth every penny! Good luck with your decision!
__________________


Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
mamadub is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
 
mkPOTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 528I
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 15,576
iTrader: (23)

Garage List
if you want something loud and then quite I would suggest the Evolve Muffler, I have the full setup and I love it. I have RPI, Exhaust Mod, AE , AA and I love being able to switch from quite to loud
__________________

EVOLVE E600 BMW E92 M3
mkPOTO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
ms372
White Shark
 
ms372's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
if you want something loud and then quite I would suggest the Evolve Muffler, I have the full setup and I love it. I have RPI, Exhaust Mod, AE , AA and I love being able to switch from quite to loud
+1 valvetronic all the way, best of both worlds you get two exhausts in one (race/sport). plus its the same price as the ER if im not wrong
__________________
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

ms372 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #15
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
 
mkPOTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 528I
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 15,576
iTrader: (23)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms372 View Post
+1 valvetronic all the way, best of both worlds you get two exhausts in one (race/sport). plus its the same price as the ER if im not wrong
You are correct and sounds really good with stock x pipe as well
__________________

EVOLVE E600 BMW E92 M3
mkPOTO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #16
Denk
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PNW

Posts: 1,910
iTrader: (2)

If you're uncertain about an exhaust, I wouldn't buy new. There's a good rotation of popular exhausts being sold here for almost 50% off list. Most of us try a few out before we get it right. Take some time to do some research here and on youtube to get an idea, that's a good place to start. Try to get together with local M3 peeps and check out exhausts in person. Good luck!
Denk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #17
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
If you're uncertain about an exhaust, I wouldn't buy new. There's a good rotation of popular exhausts being sold here for almost 50% off list. Most of us try a few out before we get it right. Take some time to do some research here and on youtube to get an idea, that's a good place to start. Try to get together with local M3 peeps and check out exhausts in person. Good luck!
This is great advice..

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekn8286 View Post
Hello everyone, so, I am currently considering a new exhaust for my e92 M3 and got a quote on the price, about $3500 for an Eisemann Race exhaust, but I am somewhat hesitant to spend that large of an amount. Can anyone chime in on their overall experience before/after buying a new exhaust? Was it worth the money? I need a little convincing

Thanks everyone
I don't think so...its ridiculous (of course opinions will vary) to spend that kind of money unless you have money to burn. I did my setup for under $1000 and I will take the pepsi challenge on the way my car sounds any day of the week. Its borderline to loud, not quite there but close.

You didn't mention what you were looking for...power increase, how loud, etc.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #19
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
If you're uncertain about an exhaust, I wouldn't buy new. There's a good rotation of popular exhausts being sold here for almost 50% off list. Most of us try a few out before we get it right. Take some time to do some research here and on youtube to get an idea, that's a good place to start. Try to get together with local M3 peeps and check out exhausts in person. Good luck!
Wish I bought your Borla ATAK..
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #20
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

Yep, on version 3.0 now. Buy used is very good advice.
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

Posts: 1,722
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Drive down to SoCal and buy my eisenmann race! Stop at EAS and have it installed for the fun ride home!!!
__________________
///2013 AW 6MT E92 ZCP M3/// Black 359M Wheels/BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Mirror Caps/Arkym AeroSport Front Lip/Turner 15MM Spacers/LUX 8 LED Halo/IND Gloss Black Grills, Gills and M3 Emblem/30% 3M Tint/BMW Interior LED/MusicCar Subwoofer Enclosure/JL Audio 12" W6 Sub and XD600:1 Amp/Euro Sunglasses Tray/Ceramic Coated Megan Racing Exhaust/AFe Dry Air Filter/RPI Intake Scoops/Euro MDM/Feature Coded.
ILSMKU is online now   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #22
m3an
Banned
 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

No exhaust is worth the amount they charge due to the M tax. That being said if you have the disposable income then do it
m3an is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST