BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
bunnn
Colonel
 
bunnn's Avatar
 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (12)

Selling a car for a friend..possible?

A friend of mine is leaving on a very short notice, his car isn't sold yet, and would like me to help him while hes gone. I'm trying to shy away from having a transfer of ownership. I'm not sure what options this leaves me with, except for maybe a limited Power of Attorney? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
__________________
Cheers
Ben
bunnn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
Superfly_M3
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 948
iTrader: (0)

Power of attorney is your your best bet.
Superfly_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
bunnn
Colonel
 
bunnn's Avatar
 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (12)

Thanks...looks like I'm going with a combo of pre-signed documents and power of attorney.
__________________
Cheers
Ben
bunnn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
6spdg37s
Captain
 
Drives: none
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: dirty jerz

Posts: 754
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
Thanks...looks like I'm going with a combo of pre-signed documents and power of attorney.
IDK canadian law but thats what i would do in the US
6spdg37s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3 SQ5
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,601
iTrader: (0)

Selling a car that is not in your name could get you in trouble with the law as it is considered Curbsiding which is an offence in Ontario.

Check it out here. www.omvic.on.ca
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
bunnn
Colonel
 
bunnn's Avatar
 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Selling a car that is not in your name could get you in trouble with the law as it is considered Curbsiding which is an offence in Ontario.

Check it out here. www.omvic.on.ca
I guess I should check with them first tomorrow. That's one of the reasons why I requested that he provide me a power of attorney so I can avoid potential legal issues. We'll see what happens with OMVIC tomorrow.
__________________
Cheers
Ben
bunnn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Silver M3, AM V8V
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,905
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Selling a car that is not in your name could get you in trouble with the law as it is considered Curbsiding which is an offence in Ontario.

Check it out here. www.omvic.on.ca
He is asking how to do it above board, hence the suggestion of getting power of attorney. He is not curbsiding - he is not buying the car to flip to someone else without changing the ownership to make a quick buck.


Ben - not sure how it is today, but I know years ago an authorization letter was all that was required to allow you to sell on his behalf. I am not sure if Service Ontario would already have a form or tell you what is required on the document. People do sell cars to people who do not live close to each other and never meet so a sale can done remotely but obviously adds a more time and an extra factor to the transaction.
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3 SQ5
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,601
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
He is asking how to do it above board, hence the suggestion of getting power of attorney. He is not curbsiding - he is not buying the car to flip to someone else without changing the ownership to make a quick buck.


Ben - not sure how it is today, but I know years ago an authorization letter was all that was required to allow you to sell on his behalf. I am not sure if Service Ontario would already have a form or tell you what is required on the document. People do sell cars to people who do not live close to each other and never meet so a sale can done remotely but obviously adds a more time and an extra factor to the transaction.
It is better to check with OMVIC to make sure a POA is considered a legitimate document to sell a vehicle that is not in your name.There have been lots of changes in the laws pertaining to vehicle sales in Ontario in the the last few years.OMVIC seem quite happy to prosecute the people that do not follow these rules.Much better to call to confirm with OMVIC than guessing IMO.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Silver M3, AM V8V
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,905
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
It is better to check with OMVIC to make sure a POA is considered a legitimate document to sell a vehicle that is not in your name.There have been lots of changes in the laws pertaining to vehicle sales in Ontario in the the last few years.OMVIC seem quite happy to prosecute the people that do not follow these rules.Much better to call to confirm with OMVIC than guessing IMO.
I think you are now starting to say the same thing as me now. I am not sure if you are confused to what a POA is, but OMVIC is not above the law. As I suggested best to see what is acceptable as a POA may not be required.
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3 SQ5
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,601
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
I think you are now starting to say the same thing as me now. I am not sure if you are confused to what a POA is, but OMVIC is not above the law. As I suggested best to see what is acceptable as a POA may not be required.
What was acceptable with OMVIC in the past might not be of use now.We get bulletins revising procedures all the time.And yes they are above the law as they are the enforcement agency for the Motor Trade in Ontario.The Liberals made sure of that in legislation.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Silver M3, AM V8V
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,905
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
What was acceptable with OMVIC in the past might no be of use now.We get bulletins revising procedures all time.And yes they are above the law as they are the enforcement agency for the Motor Trade in Ontario.The Liberals made sure of that in legislation.
I am not sure where in this thread Ben mentioned his friend was a dealer or he is a dealer, to my knowledge this is a private sale
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3 SQ5
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,601
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
I am not sure where in this thread Ben mentioned his friend was a dealer or he is a dealer, to my knowledge this is a private sale
They also judge what is considered to be a private sale!A POA might not be acceptable to them so it is worthwhile to check with OMVIC to see if it is permissible as I said earlier.A third party involved in a private sale could change this.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Silver M3, AM V8V
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,905
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
They also judge what is considered to be a private sale!A POA might not be acceptable to them so it is worthwhile to check with OMVIC to see if it is permissible as I said earlier.A third party involved in a private sale could change this.
I am still laughing at your above the law comment, you never fail to provide entertainment. We get it....you sold a car once, you are an expert of the law......now have another beer and get back to your nap......
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3 SQ5
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,601
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
I am still laughing at your above the law comment, you never fail to provide entertainment. We get it....you sold a car once, you are an expert of the law......now have another beer and get back to your nap......
I do not claim to be an expert on the OMVIC rules.As a dealership we call both the UCDA & OMVIC to get rulings on legal procedures that we are unsure of or might have changed since the last time that we were involved in a like out of the ordinary type transaction.I am only advising Ben to check with OMVIC that he is legal in selling a car for a friend with a POA.That is a common sense suggestion nothing more than that!
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #15
bunnn
Colonel
 
bunnn's Avatar
 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (12)

Thanks for the advice guys, I know things have changed over the years that's why I figured I should ask here. We just wanted to skip having the car under my ownership cause it's simply not worth the hassle. I'm not going to be actively pursuing a sale, but rather a facilitator when needed until he returns late next year. Duncan's suggestion is definitely useful, I don't want to deal with any legal repercussion for being a good friend, haha. I'll double check with authoritative source before I go ahead. Anyways, thanks again everyone, I have the car in my possession and it reminds me dearly how much I love driving manual.
__________________
Cheers
Ben
bunnn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #16
Superfly_M3
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
Thanks...looks like I'm going with a combo of pre-signed documents and power of attorney.
Lets make a deal, don't tell your friend
Superfly_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #17
bunnn
Colonel
 
bunnn's Avatar
 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Lets make a deal, don't tell your friend
Haha, then you need to delete this post..cause his brother is on this board..and he's a good buddy of mine too.
__________________
Cheers
Ben
bunnn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #18
py0413
Major
 
py0413's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M5
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: BC

Posts: 1,149
iTrader: (2)

last I heard, an authorized letter does the job; at least my friend had his car sold that way , but that was some years ago.
__________________
Must stop eating..............
py0413 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #19
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Silver M3, AM V8V
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,905
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
last I heard, an authorized letter does the job; at least my friend had his car sold that way , but that was some years ago.
No way man. "Bad boyz bad boyz what u gonna do... Omvic gonna come for u.....
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST