BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
SM8
Private
Rep

Drives: BMW

best forged wheel brand? Dilemma

Need a bit of help here as im going back and forth.

Im after a very specific design of wheel for another car i have (not a bmw)but a small hot hatch (which i thought would be relatively easy to find until i started searching months ago)

I've narrowed it down to a few options as i only like these

ADV1 05 (and i don't want to buy from adv) http://adv1wheels.com/wheelcollection/adv05dc.php

MHT Niche Roma a340 http://www.nicheroadwheels.com/roma-a340--w-10506.htm

MHT Niche Sportiva a200 http://www.nicheroadwheels.com/sport...00--w-3351.htm

HRE s107 http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/series-s1/s107

and DPE CS5s http://www.dpe-wheels.com/index.php/...eries/cs5s-v1/

Forgeline SC3C http://www.forgeline.com/products/co...c-concave.html

Morr vs51 http://www.baanvelgen.com/wheels-mor...cave-vs51.html

Now i haven't had quotes yet for each wheel as i am from the UK so will need to price them up and i fear some may be out of my reach but nonetheless i would like some input regarding the brands as i wouldn't want to spend money if its not 100% worth it .

if most you are into your wheels you know the story and history behind adv1 and 360 forged etc....BUT putting all that aside as a company can move on etc there have been numerous threads on here about the quality and bad practices of the company and ive spent the last half hour reading all of them again and that only makes up like 25% of the bad experiences people have had all as there is bad press all over the net on other forums with them too.

So not a chance i want to part that much cash with a company like that and especially how there rims aren't of the quality they portray.

Has anyone got any input on the above brands as all i know is that MHT make ADV1 and NICHE wheels and possible DPE too. Now this could cause concern as all the quality issues with adv1 and negative experiences could in theory happen with the other two brands if also made by MHT.

and regarding the MORR and Forgeline wheel there aren't many buyers out there or reviews or even pictures of them so not sure what to make of them.

The HRE obviously are top dog in this but i assume they will be the most expensive so will want to have alternatives

any input guys

Last edited by SM8; 12-08-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
JEllis
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

BBS and VOLK are among a small group of wheel manufactures that actually have the high pressure forging machines in house. If memory serves there are only 3 or 4 in the world that can forge a wheel at 8000 to 10000 tons.

Most other wheel manufacturers use a "forged blank" to machine their wheels from.
      12-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
SM8
Private
Rep

this is why i wished bbs or another company with a great rep did a style i liked but unfortunately not

the styles i like are those i have linked but i am not sure i want to pay for a set of ADV1s and i have no idea how good the quality is of the MHT Niche wheels .....

bit of a dilemma !
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
JEllis
Brigadier General
Rep

Oh and based on the wheels you like I would go with HRE.

HRE S107 are similar to what you have posted. You will get more lip the wider you go with the wheel. Check the gallery for the S series.
      12-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
JEllis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM8 View Post
this is why i wished bbs or another company with a great rep did a style i liked but unfortunately not

the styles i like are those i have linked but i am not sure i want to pay for a set of ADV1s and i have no idea how good the quality is of the MHT Niche wheels .....

bit of a dilemma !
The indv pic of the ADV1 wheel shows a deep lip. You will not achieve that on an M3. Look at the pics of the wheel on the M6. Very similar to the HRE S107 in my opinion.
      12-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
SM8
Private
Rep

funny you should mention them as the s107s was the original set i was after as the look is exactly what i was after but unfortunately they do not offer much concavity at all which is something i want so its different to my current set.

the other option which was the bc forged hb09 which is very concave but offers no lip/not as nicer design compared to the others as its a little more bland

the hre would be perfect if it was a little more concave and that would be my perfect wheel....otherwise its th adv1 05 design thats perfect for me ....if only there weren't made by adv1
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
SM8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
The indv pic of the ADV1 wheel shows a deep lip. You will not achieve that on an M3. Look at the pics of the wheel on the M6. Very similar to the HRE S107 in my opinion.
sorry i am not after a set for the m3 in this case, but i just posted the thread as there are a lot of knowledgeable guys on the forum that can help with me this as opposed to other forums...

although reading your reply as obviously you know your stuff

i am not entirely sure how much concavity i can get in the first place (the more the better) but i would be going for either 18 or 19inch and width probably up to 9-10inch and a BBK
(HRE only offer 19 and upwards)

unfortunately the combo above means i can't go with a huge wide wheel offering lots of concavity or a low offset, BUT i would like as much concavity that i can possibly get even if its a bit its still something over a totally flat face

Last edited by SM8; 12-07-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
geneatals
Ninja
Philippines
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

how about dpe?

http://www.dpe-wheels.com/index.php/...oncave-series/
      12-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
SM8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
the dpe cs5s are on my list along with the hres as both of them are only 19 inch

ideally i need 18 inch for the car i am putting it on....but the dpe cs5s are perfect

its so annoying as first it was finding the right style, and when i found it they are either made by a company i don't want to buy from or they are the wrong size

its like the world does not want me to have the perfect set!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
DiXiS 18
Private
Rep

MHT makes ADV.1 wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
SM8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiXiS 18 View Post
MHT makes ADV.1 wheels
this is the problem, adv1 have had so many issues and bad press so i don't want to buy from them

and the only other option that i like is by Niche....but MHT make them too

so is it the same case of quality and story with them too? as if so then im screwed for options lol even though they aren't as overpriced as adv1, its the quality aspect im worried about

not a clue what to do as you can see

also original post updated to make it clearer
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
DiXiS 18
Private
Rep

If you dig, you can probably find a quality issue with most wheel companies. Not all, but most. You are also hearing the story of probably 1 person who had a bad experience against 1000 who didn't post anything because everything went ok. The quality of these two wheels is going to be the same as it's coming from the same machine. The difference in price is due to adv clever marketing and advertising. If you really love the wheel, go for it and pay on your credit card. If any issues come up early on you can always dispute it and see how that plays out. In the future if you were to hit something and bend/damage a wheel, well who's to say any other wheel wouldn't have done the same thing as well.

Also, if you've got the pockets I would contact HRE on the wheel you want. I know a friend who was able to custom order a wheel that he wanted from them.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
SM8
Private
Rep

very true, although in this case its loads of bad things with adv1.....not many with hre or dpe compared

and niche even though they are made by the some people, there isnt much about them....good or bad ...i mean there are a quite a few good but they aren't as popular overall so a lot less reviews which also makes it hard deciding

as if they have the same rep as adv1 then i definitely wouldn't want them either, but the fact is if they make the same wheel the quality issues that adv1 had in theory would be present in the niche wheels which is bad news then!

i just wish that hre or dpe would accept and do an 18inch variant of what i want....every other aspect is customisable surely just one less inch wouldn't hurt or be that much of a nuisance
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
Kwando
Captain
Rep

Drives: Bianchi Super Pista

I'm pretty sure HRE will make any offset (and maybe width?) you desire as they're made to order. But no deep dish for M3. Personally I think this style in 18" will look too small..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
SM8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
I'm pretty sure HRE will make any offset (and maybe width?) you desire as they're made to order. But no deep dish for M3. Personally I think this style in 18" will look too small..
yea they will do any offset and width but not size

im after an 18inch

and the set im after isn't going on an m3 but a small hatchback the size of a VW GOLF which is currently on 18inch.

Ideally i want to keep to 18inch due to the car being low and bad road condition here plus the car is being used for fast road and show and 19s cause a much harder ride on this particular car
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #16
Carlos@MORR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Individual E92 M3

Take a look at our MultiForged MS51, seems to be what you are looking for.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #17
aus
Major General
Rep

Drives: Odysse

DPE has had MORE that its fair share of issues in the past.
I haven't seen as much lately, but it also seems people are not buying their stuff much anymore either.

If a wheel is certified by some reputable organization like VIA/JWL or TUV FOR THE SIZE AND OFFSET you want, then it should be fine- regardless if it's forged or not. As you've seen, a poorly designed "forged" wheel will still suck balls compared to a well designed cast wheel.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
SM8
Private
Rep

And pm incoming regarding the morr wheels

also first post fully updated as i've decided to scrap the 18 inch idea and go for 19s to enable me to have the full choice from all brands so this should open things up

Last edited by SM8; 12-08-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #19
Pertplus
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 991 Turbo S

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2014 Porsche 991 C2S  [5.00]
These were ones I had on my C63....HRE 5-spoke with a lip.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #20
SM8
Private
Rep

I've amended my first post again and scrapped the idea of 18s, so now im going for 19's this should open the choice selection

any input now guys !
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #21
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 991 C4S, 997 GT3

Look at Forgeline. They will build you a fully custom wheel.
I believe Forgline get their forged blanks from Japan while I'm pretty most if not all the companies you listed source theirs from China.

If I'm wrong please correct me.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #22
MikeM5
Philippines
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, BRZ, X5 4.8is

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Look at Forgeline. They will build you a fully custom wheel.
I believe Forgline get their forged blanks from Japan while I'm pretty most if not all the companies you listed source theirs from China.

If I'm wrong please correct me.
+1. I'd go with either HRE or Forgeline if it were my car.