BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 260
iTrader: (1)

Stoptech Trophy feel

i only have 500 miles on my new trophy bbk with the ST perf pads and I have read they do not have the initial bite the stock system had but what I am feeling is what seems to be a small dead spot then plenty of brakes. I got use to it and can work with it fine but I am curious if that is common to the system or it is just a matter of a pad change to get better initial bite?
__________________
Showing or promising no abatement of severity, intensity, strength, or pace.
Omerta is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,675
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
i only have 500 miles on my new trophy bbk with the ST perf pads and I have read they do not have the initial bite the stock system had but what I am feeling is what seems to be a small dead spot then plenty of brakes. I got use to it and can work with it fine but I am curious if that is common to the system or it is just a matter of a pad change to get better initial bite?
Did you bed the pads in properly?I have never noticed that issue when I use the supplied street pads.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
grussell
Private First Class
 
grussell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SG E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Valencia, CA

Posts: 124
iTrader: (3)

I would say the pedal is more progressive. I felt the stock brakes to be too touchy at slow speeds. So far I have only driven them on the street but I like the feel much better than stock.
grussell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 260
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Did you bed the pads in properly?I have never noticed that issue when I use the supplied street pads.
the tech bedded them in for me twice then I did it once more to see if that would help. I am going to have them bleed them a couple more times to see if that changes things. They are working fine and I can get ABS to fire sooner than the stock system. I am just wondering if this is normal. It is not like they are spongy, just seems like the peddle has to travel more before they initially bite.
__________________
Showing or promising no abatement of severity, intensity, strength, or pace.
Omerta is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
RickyBobby
Lieutenant
 
RickyBobby's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NorCal

Posts: 452
iTrader: (1)

My stoptech st60/st40 kit bites much much sooner in the travel than my stock brakes. I actually feel like they bite too soon and too hard. Perhaps you need another bleed. Sometimes it takes a second bleed to really purge the system. Do you have an4 wheel kit?
RickyBobby is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
ajvee
Major
 
Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: None

Posts: 1,435
iTrader: (13)

I feel the same about my kit. I plan to do another bleed to see if that is the solution. I've done 2 bleeds so far.
ajvee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,893
iTrader: (29)

When properly bedded in with no air in the lines, the Stoptech with Stoptech SP pads should be much more responsive than the stock M3 brakes.

Some of our customer actually wanted the less aggressive semi-metallic pads that Stoptech offers to reduce some of the initial bite.

The best way I can put it is I go from braking with my foot to braking with my toes!
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 260
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
My stoptech st60/st40 kit bites much much sooner in the travel than my stock brakes. I actually feel like they bite too soon and too hard. Perhaps you need another bleed. Sometimes it takes a second bleed to really purge the system. Do you have an4 wheel kit?

Yes it is st60 and st40. I am going there tomorrow to check why the tpm malfunction warning is popping up. Most likely a battery. Fluid is cheap, I will have them bleed them again.
__________________
Showing or promising no abatement of severity, intensity, strength, or pace.
Omerta is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
paradocs98
Major
 
paradocs98's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
Yes it is st60 and st40. I am going there tomorrow to check why the tpm malfunction warning is popping up. Most likely a battery. Fluid is cheap, I will have them bleed them again.
I went through the same thing a year and a half ago with the installation of my ST60/ST40 kit. Here are the links:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501522

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503833

It's probably a combo of needing another bleed, doing another bed-in following StopTech's instructions on their website, and just getting used to the feeling of the different setup. I can reassure you that I now love the feeling of the StopTechs. I don't notice a dead zone at the top of the pedal travel anymore, and they've done spectacularly well over 12+ track events. For this track season I've been running Pagid pads full-time over the last few months, and if anything, they have too much initial bite when cold on the street. I wouldn't run Pagids full-time on the street if you're not going to the track; a good responsive pedal feel is there with the ST Street Perf pads as well.
paradocs98 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
grussell
Private First Class
 
grussell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SG E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Valencia, CA

Posts: 124
iTrader: (3)

Which Pagids are you running?
grussell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
paradocs98
Major
 
paradocs98's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grussell View Post
Which Pagids are you running?
RS29s all-around
paradocs98 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
grussell
Private First Class
 
grussell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SG E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Valencia, CA

Posts: 124
iTrader: (3)

Thanks, Paradocs98
grussell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
paradocs98
Major
 
paradocs98's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grussell View Post
Thanks, Paradocs98
Off-topic, but is that your Porsche racer for your icon? It's beautiful!
paradocs98 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
grussell
Private First Class
 
grussell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SG E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Valencia, CA

Posts: 124
iTrader: (3)

It was. I sold it 3 years ago when I stopped racing.

Thanks! It was an amazing car!
Attached Images
 
grussell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
kartracer12
Private
 
Drives: e90M3 White
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: VA

Posts: 50
iTrader: (0)

I just installed a Stoptech ST60/ST40 BBK on my car for first time. After 1st weekend I to noticed a dead zone initially and then a strong bite. I am running PF01 pads with Stoptechs but ran stock setup before with Carbotech XP10s. It took me a full day to get used to it but by day two I dropped my time 2.5 seconds over the stock setup.

I will try the bleed process again and see what happens.
kartracer12 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 260
iTrader: (1)

Thanks for all of the advice guys! They have been bled again and I will follow stoptech`s bed in procedure tomorrow when I pick it up. I am looking forward to the results.
__________________
Showing or promising no abatement of severity, intensity, strength, or pace.
Omerta is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #17
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,218
iTrader: (0)

I think pads definitely have an influence. I've run the pagid rs-29 and like everyone has said, they're great pads, no fade, strong initial bite. Been running carobtechs lately (1/2 the price) and initial bite is noticeably less but overall braking performance unchanged. Believe there is a "style" to the pad and that may be what you are feeling, just a thought...
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 260
iTrader: (1)

After being bled and bedded in again I can say that the Trophy kit is money well spent. The travel before bite is about the same as stock when cold and can pop your eyes out of the socket once they warm up. I can't imagine how hard they hook with a more aggressive pad like the Pagid's. I am afraid to go with a more aggressive pad with the PSS's I am currently running because I can get ABS to fire pretty easily with street tires and the ST Pads. Now the true test will be how much better thermal capacity they have over the stock setup under track conditions. Then I need to start saving for some TE37's and start the search for the right rubber and pad combo to suit my track needs. Love this Hobby!
__________________
Showing or promising no abatement of severity, intensity, strength, or pace.
Omerta is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #19
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 260
iTrader: (1)

I used them on the track for the first time. I arrived just in time for the drivers meeting as always and whatever group I may be in at a given track it always seems that my group is first on the track after the meeting. So I did not have time to do a pad swap right then so I went out with the ST performance pads. I was on a track I haven't been to in 10 years so I wasn't that hard on the brakes the first couple sessions. The Trophy kit with its supplied pads was a very noticeable improvement over stock. It initially felt like I had double the stopping power and absolutely no fade in the first session. In the second session I was more comfortable building up more speed and moving up my braking points and the ST pads didn't fade until the end of a 20min session and it was minimal. Finally before the 3rd session I was able to swap the DTC70/60 combo. I am on PSS street tires and it seemed that I could not get the rear up to the same temp as the front but it was only an issue if the car was unloaded in a heavy braking area. I am not going to change anything with the pad and rubber combo until I get more time and a better feel for what I am using for now. Now I need to work on not braking so early so much and over slowing the car. I am happy with the trophy kit, my friend showed me how to swap pads on one corner and I did the rest in no time at all. It helps when you have all of the needed tools right in front of you and it is even easier once you wear the pads down a little. My only complaint about the trophy kit is that it is brand new, only seen about 1000 street miles and two track days and the black paint in the lettering is already cracking off and the bolts for the bridges are starting to warp from the heat and I was on a tight technical track that is not that hard on the brakes.
__________________
Showing or promising no abatement of severity, intensity, strength, or pace.
Omerta is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Moxie's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Stuttgart

Posts: 1,855
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
I used them on the track for the first time. I arrived just in time for the drivers meeting as always and whatever group I may be in at a given track it always seems that my group is first on the track after the meeting. So I did not have time to do a pad swap right then so I went out with the ST performance pads. I was on a track I haven't been to in 10 years so I wasn't that hard on the brakes the first couple sessions. The Trophy kit with its supplied pads was a very noticeable improvement over stock. It initially felt like I had double the stopping power and absolutely no fade in the first session. In the second session I was more comfortable building up more speed and moving up my braking points and the ST pads didn't fade until the end of a 20min session and it was minimal. Finally before the 3rd session I was able to swap the DTC70/60 combo. I am on PSS street tires and it seemed that I could not get the rear up to the same temp as the front but it was only an issue if the car was unloaded in a heavy braking area. I am not going to change anything with the pad and rubber combo until I get more time and a better feel for what I am using for now. Now I need to work on not braking so early so much and over slowing the car. I am happy with the trophy kit, my friend showed me how to swap pads on one corner and I did the rest in no time at all. It helps when you have all of the needed tools right in front of you and it is even easier once you wear the pads down a little. My only complaint about the trophy kit is that it is brand new, only seen about 1000 street miles and two track days and the black paint in the lettering is already cracking off and the bolts for the bridges are starting to warp from the heat and I was on a tight technical track that is not that hard on the brakes.
What fluid are you using?
Moxie is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #21
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 260
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
What fluid are you using?
ATE Super Blue
__________________
Showing or promising no abatement of severity, intensity, strength, or pace.
Omerta is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #22
EAS
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
EAS's Avatar
 
Drives: VF620 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 5,694
iTrader: (10)

Consider to upgrade to the latest Cool Carbon Performance pads for the Stoptech calipers- we love them- attached review from another member that has tried both

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723674
__________________
european auto source (eas)
email: info@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com
tel 866.669.0705 | ca: 714.369.8524 | fax: 714.908.1796


Blog | Facebook | YouTube | Flickr | Twitter
EAS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST