BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

INDustry distribution

Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #1
WingZeroX5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Help! Car is COMPLETELY dead - Not battery related

I just drove home from NY yesterday and came back about 8PM, car sat outside the whole night @ around 30F . This morning, I tried to unlock it, nothing. COMPLETELY dead.

Process of elimination:
1) Comfort access key fob, Changed battery = Car won't unlock
2) Maybe it is a battery issue, waited later in the PM for warmer weather = No changes
3) Finally called BMW roadside, had to use lockout kit.

-Battery is new, H8 AGM 990 CCA Autocraft Platinum, REGISTERED with WINKFP around Thanksgiving.
-ALWAYS kept on a battery maintainer.

FINALLY, got into the car, but when I opened the door, car has no lights.
Opened the hood, measured the voltage across the terminals...SOLID 12.82V

WTF is the problem? I'm thinking this is related to the battery terminal recall???
I have this documented in a video where the technician tried jumping, car DID NOT DRAW ANY AMPS

I'm going to wait in the morning to check on the fuses under the glove box, if that fails, it's going on a flat bed in the afternoon
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:15 AM   #2
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
I just drove home from NY yesterday and came back about 8PM, car sat outside the whole night @ around 30F . This morning, I tried to unlock it, nothing. COMPLETELY dead.

Process of elimination:
1) Comfort access key fob, Changed battery = Car won't unlock
2) Maybe it is a battery issue, waited later in the PM for warmer weather = No changes
3) Finally called BMW roadside, had to use lockout kit.

-Battery is new, H8 AGM 990 CCA Autocraft Platinum, REGISTERED with WINKFP around Thanksgiving.
-ALWAYS kept on a battery maintainer.

FINALLY, got into the car, but when I opened the door, car has no lights.
Opened the hood, measured the voltage across the terminals...SOLID 12.82V

WTF is the problem? I'm thinking this is related to the battery terminal recall???
I have this documented in a video where the technician tried jumping, car DID NOT DRAW ANY AMPS

I'm going to wait in the morning to check on the fuses under the glove box, if that fails, it's going on a flat bed in the afternoon
Open to glove box, grab the fuse box and shake it around. If the power comes back on its the battery cable issue. I think it's 90% likely that is the issue.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:04 AM   #3
msan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Most likely the battery cable. There was a recall for non-M's. Cheap solution . Disconnect cable, cut it and crimp the BMW cable. It's a fat cable so will probably need a shop to do this. Dealer might even have your car under a service bulletin for this.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:27 AM   #4
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT

Sounds like a textbook battery cable to junction box connection issue as per the non-M recalls. Some have had their M3s done now too. It's very important for obvious reasons but in some cases the connection to the junction box melts due to the shorting out. Thankfully the recall covers the box as well. The one on my 328i had melted so badly it could've posed a serious fire hazard.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:52 AM   #5
WingZeroX5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
Most likely the battery cable. There was a recall for non-M's. Cheap solution . Disconnect cable, cut it and crimp the BMW cable. It's a fat cable so will probably need a shop to do this. Dealer might even have your car under a service bulletin for this.
Called the dealership, bringing it in to see what they can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Sounds like a textbook battery cable to junction box connection issue as per the non-M recalls. Some have had their M3s done now too. It's very important for obvious reasons but in some cases the connection to the junction box melts due to the shorting out. Thankfully the recall covers the box as well. The one on my 328i had melted so badly it could've posed a serious fire hazard.
Unfortunately, the M3 doesn't fit under the recall, but my dealership is a pretty good one..maybe with the evidence I got, they can have BMW do something

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx View Post
Open to glove box, grab the fuse box and shake it around. If the power comes back on its the battery cable issue. I think it's 90% likely that is the issue.
+1000, just shook it and the car came back to life. Looks like it is the culprit. Do you know the P/N to the cable?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:56 AM   #6
ash4390
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Called the dealership, bringing it in to see what they can do.

Unfortunately, the M3 doesn't fit under the recall, but my dealership is a pretty good one..maybe with the evidence I got, they can have BMW do something

+1000, just shook it and the car came back to life. Looks like it is the culprit. Do you know the P/N to the cable?
Are you sure it doesn't? I just had my battery cable replaced last week under recall... 2011.75 Canadian model though.
      Today, 12:01 PM   #7
kscarrol
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash4390 View Post
Are you sure it doesn't? I just had my battery cable replaced last week under recall... 2011.75 Canadian model though.
It is not an official recall but there is a SIB out for the M3 battery cable. Confirmed this with my dealer a couple of weeks ago but have yet to bring it in... My car was produced Sept 2010 (2011.5).

OP, have the dealer run your VIN. Pretty sure the battery cable will be covered for you...

Edit: Forgot I had this. Covers M3's with build dates of Dec 1, 2009 to April 10, 2011. Check your build date!
Attached Images

BMWCCA # 327475

Last edited by kscarrol; Today at 12:08 PM.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 12:23 PM   #8
McSwine
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I had mine replaced under recall a couple of weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:41 PM   #9
WingZeroX5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash4390 View Post
It is not an official recall but there is a SIB out for the M3 battery cable. Confirmed this with my dealer a couple of weeks ago but have yet to bring it in... My car was produced Sept 2010 (2011.5).

OP, have the dealer run your VIN. Pretty sure the battery cable will be covered for you...

Edit: Forgot I had this. Covers M3's with build dates of Dec 1, 2009 to April 10, 2011. Check your build date!
My build date is may

Do you have the part no that was replaces? Im thinking if it's the same part, then....it obviously affected my vehicle too, no?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:05 PM   #10
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My build date is may

Do you have the part no that was replaces? Im thinking if it's the same part, then....it obviously affected my vehicle too, no?
Here is the cable you will need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Genuine-...BYlxY~&vxp=mtr

The fix is pretty easy, but you will also need a hydraulic crimper. I bought one at Harbor freight for around $30 I think.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:00 PM   #11
WingZeroX5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx View Post
Quote:
My build date is may

Here is the cable you will need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Genuine-...BYlxY~&vxp=mtr

The fix is pretty easy, but you will also need a hydraulic crimper. I bought one at Harbor freight for around $30 I think.
Well looks like dealership isnt going to help. Quoted me $2000 to replace the cable, which Im sure it's the wrong one too.

I searched for that P/N on realoem and it doesnt come up, is there a different one?

How would I go about DIYing this? I opened the glove compartment and see the fuse box, but I dont see the wire itself
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:38 PM   #12
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well looks like dealership isnt going to help. Quoted me $2000 to replace the cable, which Im sure it's the wrong one too.

I searched for that P/N on realoem and it doesnt come up, is there a different one?

How would I go about DIYing this? I opened the glove compartment and see the fuse box, but I dont see the wire itself
I'm not sure where it would show up in the BMW catalog since that isn't the replacement part for the existing cable since the existing cable in your car runs from the battery all the way to the fuse box. That is probably why the dealership quoted you so much since replacing the entire cable would be a lot of work. That part is what BMW came up with to fix that issue since it just involves cutting off the end of the existing cable where it meets the fuse box and crimping that piece on. Here is a post where I explained to someone else the steps involved in DIY'ing.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=39
Appreciate 2