BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Strasse Forged

08-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
7499rich
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Bedding and switching between street and track pads

When I installed my stoptech bbk with stoptech street pads I bedded them successfully. I use stoptech SR32 pads for track which I also bedded after install.

They squeal on the street and are wearing the rotors more than necessary while street driving, and I definitely do not need the extra bite or fade resistance they provide while street driving.

So my question is, how do people that switch between street and track pads at the track get away without bedding them? During an hpde people are not bedding their brakes.

Can I switch between stoptech street and sr32 pads at the track while swapping tires? Do I need to worry about bedding?
2011 E92 M3 6MT MCB | ESS Tune | SS Catless Downpipes/No-Res X-Pipe/F1 Race Mufflers | Turner Solid Diff/SF Mounts | DSS Carbon DS | MS UDP/S2 Intake | BMS Cowl Filters | ST Trophy BBK | Apex Arc8 | UCP | VPH750 | IND Reflectors/Grills/Gills | LUX V3 Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:58 PM   #2
admranger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3, 2005 X5, 2011 M3

I can't say for sure with Stoptech, but I switch between PFC Z-rated and PFC-08's on the E46M3. I switch between the stock pads and PFC-08s on my E90M3. I haven't had any brake judder when doing that. I thought I would as they are from different manufacturers. Maybe the cheese-grater rotors help...

Typically, pads from the same manufacturer can be swapped without getting the dreaded brake judder. I don't have any specific data on stop tech pads though.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 11:29 PM   #3
Rocket_Rod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I recently had a set of PF rotors installed before a track day (replacing OEM rotors that had served me well) so the rotors were bedded in with Pagid RS19 pads. All went well and the track day was perfect. They were swapped out after the track day with a set of OEM pads. No dramas at all. Daily driving is hassle free. No squealing or anything. Rides like OEM.

I didn't even have squealing with the Pagids before or during track day.

Anyway, that's my experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:02 AM   #4
dbyrd
S65 for life!
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

I install my track pads a couple of days before an event to scrub off any deposits then bed them in the day of the event. You shouldn't have a problem going back to the Stoptech Street pads either.

The only issue I have had is with bedding in Pagid yellows when they are new. You have to increase the heat more gradually. Once properly bedded, I've had no problem switching out with street pads with both the OEM and ST-60 calipers.
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s and studs / NT-01s / Stoptech Trophy ST-60 / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / CSF Radiator (not installed on current car)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
7499rich
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thanks for all the replies guys. The sr32 pads don't squeal on track but after a couple days of normal street driving they start to squeal really bad, then after a track day they will be quiet for a couple of days.

I am taking a 7.5 hour road trip tomorrow for a track weekend and am going to switch back to my street pads before leaving. I will install the track pads at the track while swapping tires and see how it goes without bedding. If it's ok I will swap back to streets end of day Sunday for the drive back home Monday. Will post results on how it goes next week...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Cadillac CTS-V

Check out my video...Swapping between street and race pads. It will give you some insight into managing the process and what you're trying to achieve.

Here's my other video on How to Bed-in Brake Pads and Discs.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #7
7499rich
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
Check out my video...Swapping between street and race pads. It will give you some insight into managing the process and what you're trying to achieve.

Here's my other video on How to Bed-in Brake Pads and Discs.
Hey this is great info and exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for sharing this
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
krx927
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

When I was buying AP racing BBK I was reading a lot how people constantly switch between street and track pads.

At the beginning I was doing the same but I stopped switching the pads cause Pagids RS 29 work perfectly also for daily driving. There is slightly worst initial bite compared to stock brakes/pads but nothing to worry about.
I was ever running Pagids over the winter with sub zero temps without a problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 07:21 PM   #9
admranger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3, 2005 X5, 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krx927 View Post
When I was buying AP racing BBK I was reading a lot how people constantly switch between street and track pads.

At the beginning I was doing the same but I stopped switching the pads cause Pagids RS 29 work perfectly also for daily driving. There is slightly worst initial bite compared to stock brakes/pads but nothing to worry about.
I was ever running Pagids over the winter with sub zero temps without a problem.
No noise?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 07:13 AM   #10
krx927
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
No noise?
Nothing worth mentioning. There was big squealing when I installed BBK but after bedding it's OK.
During the winter when bedding rubbed off I got squealing back but after the first track day it was ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #11
M3 Number 86
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7499rich View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. The sr32 pads don't squeal on track but after a couple days of normal street driving they start to squeal really bad, then after a track day they will be quiet for a couple of days.

I am taking a 7.5 hour road trip tomorrow for a track weekend and am going to switch back to my street pads before leaving. I will install the track pads at the track while swapping tires and see how it goes without bedding. If it's ok I will swap back to streets end of day Sunday for the drive back home Monday. Will post results on how it goes next week...
they squeal after a couple days because driven on the street without much heat and transfer, it's just scraping the material off of the rotor.

I used to swap all the time now I don't care and the brakes just rattle and squeal all day. Everyone thinks I'm too poor to get new pads because obviously they are broken. LOL. I don't really drive much on the street though 20 miles commute then wife's car on the weekend. I don't think they are really eating up the rotors that much.

In terms of not bedding for a track - what do you think the first few laps of the first session is for? They should bed themselves.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 04:52 AM   #12
krx927
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
In terms of not bedding for a track - what do you think the first few laps of the first session is for? They should bed themselves.
1+
Appreciate 0