BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-21-2007, 03:57 AM   #45
010101
Lieutenant
 
Drives: still deciding what to order
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: los angeles

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik999 View Post
The purpose of a car from the manufacturer's point of view is not to compare favorably with competition, nor to win the hearts of enthusiasts. The purpose is to sell in order to generate profits.

If you are a driving enthusiast, and the IS350 fails to fulfill your standards, you should understand that it was not meant to. They were trying to capture the market of people who want a softer and less involving ride. Because for them, that's where the money was.
Yep, totally agree. Toyota does a good job with what they do. I know they are not building cars for insane people like me who want to do 130 on a mountain road in the rain. If they were they would be doing a terrible job. I'd take an STI over anything they make though which is why I hope Subaru is doing most of the designing on this one.
010101 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2007, 10:44 AM   #46
voltron1011
Colonel
 
voltron1011's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wiesbaden

Posts: 2,912
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 010101 View Post
It's actually a Celica engine, unless it is also shared by the Corolla.
Yep, it was in the Corolla XRS briefly (2005-06) but it was only tuned for about 160hp.
voltron1011 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #47
Bimmerista
Major General
 
Bimmerista's Avatar
 
Drives: superstock
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (0)

I din't read the whole thread so appologies if already posted, but did you guys know that the engine and tranny of the Lotus Elise are that of a Corolla and Matrix ??

If anyone needs help with sports cars it isn't Toyota. Subaru makes a fine rally mobile, but it could use some of Toyota's know-how in refinement and (gulp) design, 'cause God knows Subie engineers can't design a round table that would look good

(OK I am exagerating, but all in good fun).
__________________
__________________________
2012 335i, saphire black, coral red leather interior, sport line, sport suspension, 6mt, premium package
2011 Lincoln MKX, black on black, premium package - that's right! Techno-Groovy baby
Bimmerista is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #48
tctic
Major
 
Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,238
iTrader: (0)

Toyotas are less reliable than most people think or perceive. Last year, every single Toyota model was issued with a recall of some type according to an article that I read lately.
tctic is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #49
voltron1011
Colonel
 
voltron1011's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wiesbaden

Posts: 2,912
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
I din't read the whole thread so appologies if already posted, but did you guys know that the engine and tranny of the Lotus Elise are that of a Corolla and Matrix ??

.
Yep, we just finished talking about that... That particular motor first appeared on the Celica GTS (my wife had one) and then was on the the Corolla/Matrix XRS (detuned a bit).

The same motor that had issues with self-destructing during high-rev shifting.
voltron1011 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #50
Bimmerista
Major General
 
Bimmerista's Avatar
 
Drives: superstock
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (0)

Ah, sorry then - I did not about the self-destruct syndrome-that means potentially lots of unhappy Elise owners.
__________________
__________________________
2012 335i, saphire black, coral red leather interior, sport line, sport suspension, 6mt, premium package
2011 Lincoln MKX, black on black, premium package - that's right! Techno-Groovy baby
Bimmerista is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #51
010101
Lieutenant
 
Drives: still deciding what to order
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: los angeles

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
I din't read the whole thread so appologies if already posted, but did you guys know that the engine and tranny of the Lotus Elise are that of a Corolla and Matrix ??

If anyone needs help with sports cars it isn't Toyota. Subaru makes a fine rally mobile, but it could use some of Toyota's know-how in refinement and (gulp) design, 'cause God knows Subie engineers can't design a round table that would look good

(OK I am exagerating, but all in good fun).
Lotus built a sports car and put a Toyota engine in it, so Toyota doesn't need help building sports cars? I bet someone could build a pretty cool car around a SeaDoo jet boat power plant if they figured out how to make the cooling system work. Would this be evidence of SeaDoo being able to make a sports car to you? Also, don't forget that the Lotus would be a better car if it had a Honda engine in it. It's a good car because of what Lotus did, not because Toyota designed part of the engine in it.
010101 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #52
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
 
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

Posts: 7,381
iTrader: (12)

__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
NaTuReB0Y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2007, 11:13 PM   #53
010101
Lieutenant
 
Drives: still deciding what to order
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: los angeles

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post
Hahaha.. very nice ad. People really have to drive that car to appreciate it. When I first saw it I thought it was a god awful gaudy gold wheeled rice rocket. When I drove it I didn't care what it looked like anyone. It instantly became one of my all time favorite cars. More fun that a Vette or M3 for sure.
010101 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2007, 02:11 AM   #54
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
 
Cadillac Johnson's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Milwaukee

Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 010101 View Post
Right and BMW COULD make a sewing machine if they chose to. I was never talking about what Toyota could hypothetically make. Any car company could hypothetically make pretty much any kind of car. Toyota makes boring production cars. Even the ones that are supposed to be sporty are boring. Hell, Subaru could make only boring cars if they chose to... and Toyota could make only exciting sports cars if they chose to. Then this thread would be making the opposite argument. But it's not. Hypothetical cars are completely meaningless.
You dont want Toyota having much input because they dont currently have a performance car in their production lineup? That's your argument correct?

If this were 1998 and the Supra was still in production would you feel differantly?

As I said before, if you wanna talk about true performance cars, ie. F1, LeMans, Indy, etc. Toyota is far, far more involved than Subaru. With that in mind, wouldn't you want Toyota to have MORE input than Subaru?

I dont understand how you can base your opionion on a very small part of the company as a whole. Not taking into account their history and racing involvement is pretty near sighted.
__________________
lllM
Cadillac Johnson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2007, 10:35 AM   #55
Bimmerista
Major General
 
Bimmerista's Avatar
 
Drives: superstock
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (0)

Supra, Celica, MR2, Toyota could build again a sports car if they wanted to. Bcs they are catering to the mass market, those afore-mentioned cars were discontinued because of their limited sales from the point of view of Toyota.

The Supra was and still is (it was produced in JDM trim long after they stopped importing it here) one hell of a sports car and the solidity of the engine has made it to this day one of the favorites to modd and add crazy-a$$ turbos to it (indestructible engine block).

So yeah, I maintain my point that Toyota does not need lessons in building sports cars.
__________________
__________________________
2012 335i, saphire black, coral red leather interior, sport line, sport suspension, 6mt, premium package
2011 Lincoln MKX, black on black, premium package - that's right! Techno-Groovy baby
Bimmerista is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2007, 02:12 AM   #56
010101
Lieutenant
 
Drives: still deciding what to order
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: los angeles

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Johnson View Post
You dont want Toyota having much input because they dont currently have a performance car in their production lineup? That's your argument correct?

If this were 1998 and the Supra was still in production would you feel differantly?

As I said before, if you wanna talk about true performance cars, ie. F1, LeMans, Indy, etc. Toyota is far, far more involved than Subaru. With that in mind, wouldn't you want Toyota to have MORE input than Subaru?

I dont understand how you can base your opionion on a very small part of the company as a whole. Not taking into account their history and racing involvement is pretty near sighted.

To be honest I really don't care. I would buy the new STI over this thing anyway, so it makes no difference to me. I think it will come out being a little more interesting if Subaru has more input though.

Would I feel differently if it were 1998? You keep coming at me with these hypothetical situations as if they are relevant to what we are talking about. Who cares what I would have said in 1998? It's 2007. We're not talking about what Toyota has done or might do we are talking about what it does. The fact remains that everyone keeps talking about the Supra and Toyota designed the last Supra over 15 years ago. If that is the best car you can think of then it proves my point. Toyota doesn't build any interesting sports cars and they haven't in a long time. They are a huge car company and they don't even make one! Subaru is tiny and they make one of the most exciting cars to drive on the road. Isn't that enough for you?

As far as F1 goes, who cares? A 2.0 liter cheap sports car has pretty much nothing to do with F1 racing. If we were talking about F1 cars here, yeah Toyota would know more than Subaru. We aren't though. We are talking about a cheap 2.0 liter sports car. Subaru makes what is arguably the best one of these in the world. Toyota makes absolutely nothing like that.

Last edited by 010101; 08-23-2007 at 03:09 AM.
010101 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2007, 02:29 AM   #57
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
 
SpecC's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Francisco and Davis

Posts: 15,442
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to SpecC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Johnson View Post
You dont want Toyota having much input because they dont currently have a performance car in their production lineup? That's your argument correct?

If this were 1998 and the Supra was still in production would you feel differantly?

As I said before, if you wanna talk about true performance cars, ie. F1, LeMans, Indy, etc. Toyota is far, far more involved than Subaru. With that in mind, wouldn't you want Toyota to have MORE input than Subaru?

I dont understand how you can base your opionion on a very small part of the company as a whole. Not taking into account their history and racing involvement is pretty near sighted.
I don't think it's that Toyota can't make a sports car for a true enthusiast, but they do lack the credibility Subaru already has from their older Imprezas markets from WRC rules.

2.0 L displacement cap, 300 hp limit, 20k of those cars must be produced and sold to compete in the WRC

it's kinda like saying, i can go faster than the speed of sound! but not in a confined space
SpecC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST