BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GTB Performance

06-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
ChrisK
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 M3

Ticking engine sound (only with AC on) - Not from water

So I had the ticking sound (possible bearing issue) about a year ago, took the car in and the dealership (heard it), but couldn't figure out what it is. They didn't think it was the engine.

I took the car home and heard nothing since. Yesterday I pull into the garage I hear the ticking sound. Low RPM rev, the ticking sound is persistent. Sounds just like a weak bearing tick.

I was like WTF!

I have a theory... What was different? I had the AC on in traffic. (temp was 210-211).

So today I take the car for ride (30 mins on the highway) and get the temps up to 209-210, with no AC on. The ticking sound is gone when I return to my garage.

I don't think the sound was water dripping on a hot surface or thermal expansion, the sound was present when I rev the engine slightly.

Could the added load of the AC (extra engine heat) affect the oil temp enough to give you the ticking? Maybe the oil is too thin?

Any thoughts?

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
ChrisK is offline   United_States
      06-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
coloradoe92m3
Banned

Drives: m3

I had a ticking when I had changed spark plugs and didn't quite tighten them enough. Not sure if hotter weather would impact this but point is there is a ton of random causes for ticking