BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
EclipsisNA
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 3,852
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Akra EVO + ESS ECU Tune Dyno

Today was the first time I dyno'd my 2010 E92 M3 (manual) and I was a little disappointed with the results compared to some of the numbers I've seen on the forum. I was expecting to hit somewhere around 370-380hp with the mods I have. Out of three runs, I ended up with the best run at 352 hp and 250 tq. Is this unusual for this type of mod? There was a stock 2012 e90 pushing close to 350 something to the wheel.

I guess my car is not healthy like everyone else I'm not sure if the 1000 miles left before the next oil change has to do anything with the lost hp?

Don't mind the big dip on the 3rd run, I eased off the gas because I thought I stepped on throttle too soon. One thing I noticed is the small decrease in HP around 2200 RPM. I believe I heard people complaining about this dip?

Mods: Akrapovic Evolution + ESS ECU tune

Dyno system: Dynojet

Results: 351HP & 249TQ
Attached Images
    

Last edited by tha_good_life; 06-20-2012 at 07:21 PM.
tha_good_life is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
GIdriver
Major
 
GIdriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SG/FR E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere in Time

Posts: 1,337
iTrader: (0)

I was going to blame it in the dyno or the day (suboptimal conditions), but if a stock M3 under similar conditions did as much power as you with mods... Well, it appears to be kind of weak, sorry. Then I thought about your car having an old software, but the ESS tune (if installed recently), must have updated your software to 231E. When did you get the ESS tune? If you got it a while ago, maybe you can ask for a newer version.
GIdriver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 3,852
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
I was going to blame it in the dyno or the day (suboptimal conditions), but if a stock M3 under similar conditions did as much power as you with mods... Well, it appears to be kind of weak, sorry. Then I thought about your car having an old software, but the ESS tune (if installed recently), must have updated your software to 231E. When did you get the ESS tune? If you got it a while ago, maybe you can ask for a newer version.
I believe the software tune you are speaking of is only for DCT? I can be wrong. I recently had the ECU mode done not that long ago.
tha_good_life is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
GIdriver
Major
 
GIdriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SG/FR E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere in Time

Posts: 1,337
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
I believe the software tune you are speaking of is only for DCT? I can be wrong. I recently had the ECU mode done not that long ago.
231E is the most recent DME software version from BMW. Apparently, as discussed in another recent thread, updating to this new software version, improves performance. I believe the 231E software applies to both MT and DCT, but I might be wrong. Will look at the thread again.

Roman@ESS states in this same thread, that when you buy the ESS tune, you are automatically updated to a tuned version of software 231E.

Roman@ESS: "We have been tuning with 231E since its release. When a customer orders our performance software they are updated to a tuned version of 231E automatically so there is no need to get this update before purchasing our tune."

So if you had the ECU mod (ESS tune) done recently, your tune probably includes the 231E software update. You can PM Roman and ask him if your tune includes the 231E update or not. Its worth a shot.
GIdriver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
GIdriver
Major
 
GIdriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SG/FR E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere in Time

Posts: 1,337
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
I believe the software tune you are speaking of is only for DCT? I can be wrong. I recently had the ECU mode done not that long ago.
The DCT software can also be updated. I believe this is a software separate from the 231E.
GIdriver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 3,852
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
231E is the most recent DME software version from BMW. Apparently, as discussed in another recent thread, updating to this new software version, improves performance. I believe the 231E software applies to both MT and DCT, but I might be wrong. Will look at the thread again.

Roman@ESS states in this same thread, that when you buy the ESS tune, you are automatically updated to a tuned version of software 231E.

Roman@ESS: "We have been tuning with 231E since its release. When a customer orders our performance software they are updated to a tuned version of 231E automatically so there is no need to get this update before purchasing our tune."

So if you had the ECU mod (ESS tune) done recently, your tune probably includes the 231E software update. You can PM Roman and ask him if your tune includes the 231E update or not. Its worth a shot.
Thanks for the info. I'm reading up on the 231E software update!
tha_good_life is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
GIdriver
Major
 
GIdriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SG/FR E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere in Time

Posts: 1,337
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm reading up on the 231E software update!
GIdriver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 3,852
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
I'll just have Roman double check my software. I'm still sad by the results.
tha_good_life is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
tma1c
Lieutenant
 
tma1c's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E93 6MT M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: philly

Posts: 566
iTrader: (12)

Send a message via AIM to tma1c
I did a dynapack Dyno and got much higher results when i dyno'ed in 3rd gear instead of 5th gear. But I dont know if that is the same for a dynojet dyno
tma1c is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
Stealth ///M
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 283
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tma1c
I did a dynapack Dyno and got much higher results when i dyno'ed in 3rd gear instead of 5th gear. But I dont know if that is the same for a dynojet dyno
Dynos in our cars should be done in 4th gear...
Stealth ///M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
tma1c
Lieutenant
 
tma1c's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E93 6MT M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: philly

Posts: 566
iTrader: (12)

Send a message via AIM to tma1c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth ///M View Post
Dynos in our cars should be done in 4th gear...
Never did a dynojet and Im no expert. Im just stating my results were much higher in 3rd for dynapack. PencilGeek told me 3rd gear for dynapack dyno and was happy with results. but dynojet is probably different.

edit- tried 4th gear to
tma1c is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 3,852
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth ///M View Post
Dynos in our cars should be done in 4th gear...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tma1c View Post
Never did a dynojet and Im no expert. Im just stating my results were much higher in 3rd for dynapack. PencilGeek told me 3rd gear for dynapack dyno and was happy with results. but dynojet is probably different.

edit- tried 4th gear to
These runs were done on 4th gear, M mode, and traction control off.
tha_good_life is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
TopSpeedM3
Douglas W
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alpharetta

Posts: 43
iTrader: (0)

Nice gains!
TopSpeedM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 3,852
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
anyone else can chime in?
tha_good_life is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
M3DCTBT
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

Posts: 351
iTrader: (2)

air fuel is leaning way out up top if that sensor is right - have ESS send you another file.

but work on this:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...5#post11871865

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...9#post11900449

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...9#post11935299
M3DCTBT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 3,852
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3DCTBT View Post
air fuel is leaning way out up top if that sensor is right - have ESS send you another file.

but work on this:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...5#post11871865

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...9#post11900449

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...9#post11935299
I'm talking to Roman at the moment. I think the dyno had a malfunction on their a/f ratio. They kept changing it in and out on other cars, but I don't believe that is the factor for the results. I have been reading on the links you posted but ESS claims all their tunes are ran on the updated software.
tha_good_life is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 9,625
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
I'm talking to Roman at the moment. I think the dyno had a malfunction on their a/f ratio. They kept changing it in and out on other cars, but I don't believe that is the factor for the results. I have been reading on the links you posted but ESS claims all their tunes are ran on the updated software.
How large were your files? 231E update is a separate file @ ~5MB that needs to be loaded before the tune. The actual tune is ~2MB.

Otherwise, you may still be >231E.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #18
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 3,852
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
How large were your files? 231E update is a separate file @ ~5MB that needs to be loaded before the tune. The actual tune is ~2MB.

Otherwise, you may still be >231E.
ESS only sent me one file.
tha_good_life is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 9,625
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
ESS only sent me one file.
It's best you contact ESS directly to get this worked out.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #20
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 3,852
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
It's best you contact ESS directly to get this worked out.
Thanks Tom! I'm assuming there is no way for me to find out with the direct flash tool I have what software i'm running?
tha_good_life is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #21
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 9,625
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
Thanks Tom! I'm assuming there is no way for me to find out with the direct flash tool I have what software i'm running?
When you performed your original read, what was the file name given?

Please PM me if necessary.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #22
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 1,692
iTrader: (1)

I guess your numbers are a little low, and i see why you're disappointed.

I think people expect too much when doing basic bolt ons to our motors.
CSanto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST