BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
E92-lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
Koldun
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 659
iTrader: (0)

Stealth test pipes

I was wondering if anyone felt the need to conceal their test pipes (with a hollowed out cat for example)? I know most of our cars are so low that the LEO would need a mirror to see, but I also don't want to get any grief from the dealerships. Should I just wait till my warranty is up in 2015 and I go with a third party extended warranty with PenFed who don't care what you do to your car?
Koldun is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Longwong
Banned
 
Drives: e92 m3 catless
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA

Posts: 371
iTrader: (0)

You have two sets of cats-totally legal man. Your second set is absolutely fine and legal. Now totally catless I would never ever do but you are good to go
Longwong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Koldun
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 659
iTrader: (0)

Are you sure? It won't pass emissions and any modification of the exhaust is technically illegal.
Koldun is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 10|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,186
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
Are you sure? It won't pass emissions and any modification of the exhaust is technically illegal.
that is correct in most states and if your looking to fool the dealership your kidding yourself. just do what you want and if you get caught gotta pay up. im catless on my e46 and run it on the street. had to use a fake address in an area that doesnt require emissions testing.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,761
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
I was wondering if anyone felt the need to conceal their test pipes (with a hollowed out cat for example)? I know most of our cars are so low that the LEO would need a mirror to see, but I also don't want to get any grief from the dealerships. Should I just wait till my warranty is up in 2015 and I go with a third party extended warranty with PenFed who don't care what you do to your car?
There's a member here locally that has the OEM x-pipes but both primaries and secondaries gutted. Looks completely stock, but obviously isn't. Not a bad way to go if you are concerned about people giving you grief.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
kawasaki00
Major
 
kawasaki00's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

Posts: 1,124
iTrader: (4)

Or you could use these, super high flow and wont get grief from the stealership or the popo.
http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.c...High%2C/Detail
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.
kawasaki00 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
Superfly_M3
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
Or you could use these, super high flow and wont get grief from the stealership or the popo.
http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.c...High%2C/Detail
It would be interesting to see how these flow compare to something like Akra or test pipes. For $130 doesn't seem to unreasonable.
Superfly_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Malek@MRF
 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,363
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong
You have two sets of cats-totally legal man. Your second set is absolutely fine and legal. Now totally catless I would never ever do but you are good to go
This is incorrect for all intents and purposes.
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
p-streets
M3NTAL
 
Drives: 09 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAND OF THE LOST TEXAS

Posts: 298
iTrader: (1)

Penfed if you mean pentagon federal credit union they won't do m3 or any m's and cretin p cars. I tried them
p-streets is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Koldun
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 659
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-streets View Post
Penfed if you mean pentagon federal credit union they won't do m3 or any m's and cretin p cars. I tried them
Sure they do. I have them financing my M3, and a buddy has an '08 that is fully covered by them. I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Regarding Longwong's misinformation, after his collossal troll fail in the most recent BPM vs ESS thread, I know to disregard anything he posts.
Koldun is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
p-streets
M3NTAL
 
Drives: 09 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAND OF THE LOST TEXAS

Posts: 298
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
Sure they do. I have them financing my M3, and a buddy has an '08 that is fully covered by them. I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Regarding Longwong's misinformation, after his collossal troll fail in the most recent BPM vs ESS thread, I know to disregard anything he posts.
dam thats crazy i no they finance but when i tried to get a extended covrage wit them they said they dont do m3.
p-streets is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
StealYourFace
Major
 
Drives: 2006 330i sport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Shakedown Street, Buffalo NY

Posts: 1,096
iTrader: (1)

Back on topic... why couldn't you gut the primary cats if you are worried about warranty?
__________________
330i ~ BMW Perf. Susp. ~ M3 Front susp ~ BMW Perf Exhaust ~ 3.38 lsd ~ SF71 Alf CSL reps ~ Pilot Super Sports ~ AA Tune ~ 335is front brakes WTB: e93 M3 Front Sway Bar
StealYourFace is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 10|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,186
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
Back on topic... why couldn't you gut the primary cats if you are worried about warranty?
or paint the underside of the car in camo to confuse officers and SA.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST