BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
EclipsisNA
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
M-Tuned
JOY IS BMW.
 
M-Tuned's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 AW/FR E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)

Bumper authenticity?

I'm gonna have a brand new OEM bumper to be replaced. I was wondering if there's any way to identify the authenticity of the bumper? like is there a part # somewhere or something? Please help. Thanks.
M-Tuned is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,698
iTrader: (6)

I highly doubt that anyone makes a urethane replica of the stock bumper. There is a HUGE upfront investment in making urethane bumpers so an aftermarket company would likely not be able to make one more cheaply than BMW. So basically this is not something that you have to worry about.

That said, there should be a BMW sticker with a part #.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 9,864
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Most Chinese brands are offering the M3 conversions for 335i models.

Not aware of any 1:1 replica M3 bumpers, you should be ok as long as paperwork is included.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
nbennettksu
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale

Posts: 955
iTrader: (0)

Is a BMW dealer body shop doing the repair?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
Caddy ATS . . . finally, a decent rental car option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
nbennettksu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
M-Tuned
JOY IS BMW.
 
M-Tuned's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 AW/FR E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the reply guys. Ok, I guess I'll make things a little more clearly. I was in an accident that someone rear ended me. On the estimate report they have listed the rear bumper as reconditioned bumper and I was told by the body shop that it's an aftermarket parts (not OEM) but to my understanding it's a reconstructed part which is still OEM. Anyways long story short, they were able to get an OEM one now. However, I am not able to see the actual bumper until it's painted and installed, also I doubt they could provide me any paperwork to prove its authenticity. It's a solid shop but I just want to identify it myself for a peace of mind. Thanks again.
M-Tuned is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,001
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Reconditioned means OEM that has been fixed. Aftermarket is just that; a reproduction factory style bumper.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
M-Tuned
JOY IS BMW.
 
M-Tuned's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 AW/FR E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Reconditioned means OEM that has been fixed. Aftermarket is just that; a reproduction factory style bumper.
Yeah, that's what I thought and said. Thanks for confirming.
M-Tuned is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
apecush
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton

Posts: 430
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Tuned View Post
However, I am not able to see the actual bumper until it's painted and installed, also I doubt they could provide me any paperwork to prove its authenticity. It's a solid shop but I just want to identify it myself for a peace of mind. Thanks again.
Um...this tells me they are going ahead and using a reconditioned bumper. On the otherhand, if you can't make it down there, have them snap a photo verifying that it is an authentic, new bumper.
apecush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
M-Tuned
JOY IS BMW.
 
M-Tuned's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 AW/FR E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
Um...this tells me they are going ahead and using a reconditioned bumper. On the otherhand, if you can't make it down there, have them snap a photo verifying that it is an authentic, new bumper.
The thing is I don't wanna make a request for a verification, cause that might make me sounds like I am accusing them.
M-Tuned is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
apecush
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton

Posts: 430
iTrader: (2)

if they don't want to let you see the bumper before they put it on, I think you have some grounds for accusation. Seriously, if you're paying them, they should gladly do something like this unless they don't give a shit about customer service. If the later is the case, look elsewhere as when they inevitably screw something up, they're probably not going to be particlularly pleasant to deal with.
apecush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
M-Tuned
JOY IS BMW.
 
M-Tuned's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 AW/FR E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
if they don't want to let you see the bumper before they put it on, I think you have some grounds for accusation. Seriously, if you're paying them, they should gladly do something like this unless they don't give a shit about customer service. If the later is the case, look elsewhere as when they inevitably screw something up, they're probably not going to be particlularly pleasant to deal with.
Thanks for your input but you gotta read my posts. I didn't say they won't let me to see the bumper beforehand.. I just don't want to make a such request as I said (pls read my 4th post again). Again, I am not paying them out of my own pocket and they are the one who is able to request a brand new OEM one for me instead of a reconditioned one (pls read my 2nd post again). So it's like they did me a favor.

Anyways, my question was how do I verify its authenticity without requesting a proof from the shop.
M-Tuned is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
apecush
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton

Posts: 430
iTrader: (2)

fair enough. I guess I was mislead by this statement: "However, I am not able to see the actual bumper until it's painted and installed, also I doubt they could provide me any paperwork to prove its authenticity."
apecush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,698
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Tuned View Post
Thanks for your input but you gotta read my posts. I didn't say they won't let me to see the bumper beforehand.. I just don't want to make a such request as I said (pls read my 4th post again). Again, I am not paying them out of my own pocket and they are the one who is able to request a brand new OEM one for me instead of a reconditioned one (pls read my 2nd post again). So it's like they did me a favor.

Anyways, my question was how do I verify its authenticity without requesting a proof from the shop.
As long as it is plastic and not fiberglass, you are fine. There probably isn't an exact replica of the OEM M3 rear and if there was, it would be fiberglass.

If you want to confirm that it is brand new and not reconditioned, that will be harder.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
vm
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 202
iTrader: (4)

Most (all?) BMW plastic parts have an identification that usually shows a little roundel beside a mark with the date of manufacturing which is usually a circle with the months and the manufacturing month highlighted. This manufacturing date will let you know if the part is new or not.
vm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,001
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm View Post
Most (all?) BMW plastic parts have an identification that usually shows a little roundel beside a mark with the date of manufacturing which is usually a circle with the months and the manufacturing month highlighted. This manufacturing date will let you know if the part is new/reconditioned or not.
^
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
m3an
Banned
 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

if it's a recon bumper most likely it's from Keystone and will have their ID on it and most times look like shit.


Your were hit, so you are a claimant (3rd party) to the other driver's insurance. YOU DONT ACCEPT A RECON BUMPER!! only your insurance company can do that, you are a victim to this accident (I presume not at fault) and they're obligated to put an OEM cover on the car (although not surprised w/ a recon). They have to make the car pre-loss condition which I presume was an OEM bumper.
m3an is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST