BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
slicer
Brigadier General
slicer's Avatar
61
Rep
3,941
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (19)

Fixed-Back Race Seats Still allow Rear Seat Access?

I just ordered an M3 Coupe to replace my sedan

I'm thinking about installing Recaro Pole Position seats. Does anyone know if the rear seats can continue to be accessed by adults considering the seats don't fold forward?
__________________
ALL PARTS FOR SALE (click links and/or Send me a PM) -
KW Clubsport 3-way, Mode Carbon GTS Wing, BMW Pedals Billet Extended DCT Paddles, Advan TC3 (9.5/10.5), Planted E92 Floor Mounts, Schroth Quick Fit Pro Harnesses (Red - E82/E90/E92 Version)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
1SICKM
Captain
1SICKM's Avatar
15
Rep
975
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 E92
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mansfield, NJ

iTrader: (5)

adults, no but children are ok
__________________
E92 M3 DCT...Powered by ESS VT2 650/DCT GTS Software/Aquamist HFS-3 50/50/Morr /Toyo R888's

ATCO RACEWAY: 10.65 @ 131.79MPH 1.725 60FT
(Stock ESS 625)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
dex37
Second Lieutenant
dex37's Avatar
2
Rep
204
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

I also like the Recaro PP, but I can't do without the back seats.
BMW Performance seats (Recaro Sportster CS) are also nice but they have too many downsides.
Weight is not that low. Seating position is not really lower that stock, so the problems with the helm remain. The side hold is similar to stock. And you get all this at a rediculous price + adding the price for fox red leather makes them totally worthless for me.

The PP with kind of reclinable brackets would be the best solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
jonasaurus's Avatar
United Kingdom
34
Rep
3,147
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
I also like the Recaro PP, but I can't do without the back seats.
BMW Performance seats (Recaro Sportster CS) are also nice but they have too many downsides.
Weight is not that low. Seating position is not really lower that stock, so the problems with the helm remain. The side hold is similar to stock. And you get all this at a rediculous price + adding the price for fox red leather makes them totally worthless for me.

The PP with kind of reclinable brackets would be the best solution.
BMW Perf seats only have 2 height settings (low or high), did you try one on the low setting and still found that too high?
__________________
///M3 | E90 LCI | Space Grey | Fox Red with CF Structure | 6MT | 260M | My build
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
dex37
Second Lieutenant
dex37's Avatar
2
Rep
204
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
BMW Perf seats only have 2 height settings (low or high), did you try one on the low setting and still found that too high?
Yes, it was the lowest setting. And I am actually not that tall- 6,2.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
jonasaurus's Avatar
United Kingdom
34
Rep
3,147
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
Yes, it was the lowest setting. And I am actually not that tall- 6,2.
That's a relative statement.. I'm 5'7"
__________________
///M3 | E90 LCI | Space Grey | Fox Red with CF Structure | 6MT | 260M | My build
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
84
Rep
5,647
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Why not go with a fixed back for the driver's seat and then a recliner for the pass seat?
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
dex37
Second Lieutenant
dex37's Avatar
2
Rep
204
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Why not go with a fixed back for the driver's seat and then a recliner for the pass seat?
Because it wouldn't look good and imagine if you have an accident and there are people trapped inside the car at back seat. For me it's not worth the risk.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
84
Rep
5,647
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
Because it wouldn't look good and imagine if you have an accident and there are people trapped inside the car at back seat. For me it's not worth the risk.
Then why would anyone even consider getting a fixed back and putting people in the back?
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
slicer
Brigadier General
slicer's Avatar
61
Rep
3,941
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
Because it wouldn't look good and imagine if you have an accident and there are people trapped inside the car at back seat. For me it's not worth the risk.
Then why would anyone even consider getting a fixed back and putting people in the back?
That's the point of my question... It sounds like there is no point in getting fixed back seats if you need the back seats and they are no longer accessible. The only option is a seat that can fold forward like recaro sportster or BMW performance seats.
__________________
ALL PARTS FOR SALE (click links and/or Send me a PM) -
KW Clubsport 3-way, Mode Carbon GTS Wing, BMW Pedals Billet Extended DCT Paddles, Advan TC3 (9.5/10.5), Planted E92 Floor Mounts, Schroth Quick Fit Pro Harnesses (Red - E82/E90/E92 Version)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
mlhj83's Avatar
United Kingdom
22
Rep
1,035
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Answer: Recaro SP-X
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #12
dex37
Second Lieutenant
dex37's Avatar
2
Rep
204
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Then why would anyone even consider getting a fixed back and putting people in the back?
In order to sit lower, so you can fit inside the car with helm, weight reduction and more hold in the seat The question should be if there is a seat that fullfills all these requirements. The answer is no
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
84
Rep
5,647
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
In order to sit lower, so you can fit inside the car with helm, weight reduction and more hold in the seat The question should be if there is a seat that fullfills all these requirements. The answer is no
BMW should have put a 3rd door in the back...Hyundai style. This coming from a "not that tall" 6'2" guy! I'd hate to see what you consider tall!
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
dex37
Second Lieutenant
dex37's Avatar
2
Rep
204
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
BMW should have put a 3rd door in the back...Hyundai style. This coming from a "not that tall" 6'2" guy! I'd hate to see what you consider tall!
OK, I appologize about the height remark

It really hate it that there are no proper seats for the BMW. The Pole Position are great. It would be coll if someone makes brackets for the seats which you can recline and move forward.

I guess that I am literary "stuck" with my stock seats
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
jonasaurus's Avatar
United Kingdom
34
Rep
3,147
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
OK, I appologize about the height remark

It really hate it that there are no proper seats for the BMW. The Pole Position are great. It would be coll if someone makes brackets for the seats which you can recline and move forward.

I guess that I am literary "stuck" with my stock seats
There must be a company in Germany that makes custom brackets no? That way you could go with something like the BMW Perf Seats
__________________
///M3 | E90 LCI | Space Grey | Fox Red with CF Structure | 6MT | 260M | My build
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
dex37
Second Lieutenant
dex37's Avatar
2
Rep
204
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
There must be a company in Germany that makes custom brackets no? That way you could go with something like the BMW Perf Seats
There could be, but then you have the problem with TÜV. It has to be approved. Apart from that they are not that light and you still move around too much in them. And then there is the price... Plus I also have to wrap them in fox red, because I have the extended leather package and it would look aweful with the black alcantara. This means aprox. 1000€ extra only for the leather.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #17
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
84
Rep
5,647
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
OK, I appologize about the height remark

It really hate it that there are no proper seats for the BMW. The Pole Position are great. It would be coll if someone makes brackets for the seats which you can recline and move forward.

I guess that I am literary "stuck" with my stock seats
Lol...you can take a chance and try the VAC floor mounts and sliders. You might have enough adjustment to get someone in the back seat but I think that chance is very slim.

If you need something that will hold you in better and more headroom, try finding some OEM manual cloth seats. I have them plus the Ralleye 4 harnesses and they hold me in prety good. Not as tactile as fixed backs but it works fine.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 01:54 AM   #18
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
jonasaurus's Avatar
United Kingdom
34
Rep
3,147
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
There could be, but then you have the problem with TÜV. It has to be approved. Apart from that they are not that light and you still move around too much in them. And then there is the price... Plus I also have to wrap them in fox red, because I have the extended leather package and it would look aweful with the black alcantara. This means aprox. 1000€ extra only for the leather.
I guess TÜV issue may be a show stopper for that idea then!

On the other points I have FR non-extended leather interior and run only the driver side Perf seat (not re-upholstered). Other than the aesthetic lack of symmetry between the driver and passenger seats the contrast between Alcantara and FR leather isnt too bad but may be more noticeable with extended.

In terms of moving around in the Perf seat, only on fairly sharp corners with some speed have I felt it to be inadequate but such is the compromise for fixed vs reclining!
__________________
///M3 | E90 LCI | Space Grey | Fox Red with CF Structure | 6MT | 260M | My build
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #19
dex37
Second Lieutenant
dex37's Avatar
2
Rep
204
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Lol...you can take a chance and try the VAC floor mounts and sliders. You might have enough adjustment to get someone in the back seat but I think that chance is very slim.

If you need something that will hold you in better and more headroom, try finding some OEM manual cloth seats. I have them plus the Ralleye 4 harnesses and they hold me in prety good. Not as tactile as fixed backs but it works fine.
I'll check these VAC floor mounts. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
I guess TÜV issue may be a show stopper for that idea then!

On the other points I have FR non-extended leather interior and run only the driver side Perf seat (not re-upholstered). Other than the aesthetic lack of symmetry between the driver and passenger seats the contrast between Alcantara and FR leather isnt too bad but may be more noticeable with extended.

In terms of moving around in the Perf seat, only on fairly sharp corners with some speed have I felt it to be inadequate but such is the compromise for fixed vs reclining!
Yes, TÜV is going to be a problem. Almost everything which makes fun is forbidden hier Do you have pics of your interior?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST