BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-24-2015, 12:35 AM   #1
M3 GT4
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 GT4

EDC no difference felt between comfort, sport & sport plus

After 1 year and a half of sole ownership of my 2013.9 ZCP M3 I am seriously wondering whether EDC is actually working. I cannot tell any difference at all in the ride, it doesn't get stiffer nor smoother no matter which setting it is on. There are zero, one or two leds ON allright (central console, same result with IDrive). I had wondered about that earlier and dismissed it thinking the roads are just too good around here to notice a difference but now i think it really has never worked from day one.
I do remember testdriving an M3 before buying mine and the SA turning EDC to sport the stance of the car changed, i never observed that in my car.

I need to testdrive another M3 again that would tell me for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 12:42 AM   #2
1MOREMOD
2015 Track Days - 5|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

You should be able to feel difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 12:47 AM   #3
xpunisherx
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

^ i agree. I can literally feel my car squat down and the ride get firmer when i change from normal to sport plus. The road bumps become significantly more noticable too.
      03-24-2015, 01:00 AM   #4
CIFUM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

+1^^ I always keep mine in "comfort" once I go to sport plus I can feel quite the difference
M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 01:08 AM   #5
webninja
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Maybe your roads are just that buttery smooth. Here in LA, I definitely notice between comfort and sport plus. A bit harder to tell the difference between sport and sport plus, but with enough rough road I can tell between all three.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 05:30 AM   #6
squartus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [5.00]
Iv never felt a difference in ride either to be honest, and i have some pretty bumpy roads

ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft.. etc
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #7
dozaiya
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 M3

then you are a candidate for some track coilovers
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #8
///Mvy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08' AW e90M3/6 & 08GT3

It's a pretty significant difference in my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #9
BLKLYZ
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.50]
OP I've changed my settings and couldn't tell the difference when driving locally, however driving highway I noticed a huge difference when driving in sport. It felt like the car hugged the road more. I think it's very faint noticing the settings when in stop & go traffic but it's killer on highways!
      03-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
M3 GT4
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Thanks guys.
On highway also i don't notice any difference. Squartus your signature shows mods, are you sure you don't have coilovers ? Mine is factory stock.
I've located two M3s at the italian exotic car dealer, I'll see if i can testdrive one.
If this is real, then it could go unoticed by many owners. You can feel the difference IF it works but if it never did in the first place, some owner might be unaware.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
TrakBch
Captain
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92

I've noticed it less on ZCP cars.

The EDC works differently in ZCP than in the regular cars.
Gallardo Superlegerra - Hey! Look @ Me!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #12
squartus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 GT4 View Post
Thanks guys.
On highway also i don't notice any difference. Squartus your signature shows mods, are you sure you don't have coilovers ? Mine is factory stock.
I've located two M3s at the italian exotic car dealer, I'll see if i can testdrive one.
If this is real, then it could go unoticed by many owners. You can feel the difference IF it works but if it never did in the first place, some owner might be unaware.
No I kept stock suspension.

ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft.. etc
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #13
tdott
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpunisherx View Post
^ i agree. I can literally feel my car squat down and the ride get firmer when i change from normal to sport plus. The road bumps become significantly more noticable too.
Squat down and get firmer? Those two things are contradictory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 GT4 View Post
I do remember testdriving an M3 before buying mine and the SA turning EDC to sport the stance of the car changed, i never observed that in my car.
The stance or specifically the height of the car never changes, it's only the dampening that changes.
      03-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #14
xpunisherx
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post

The stance or specifically the height of the car never changes, it's only the dampening that changes.
Well then let me explain...

Squat = the subjective feeling that car assumes when i select sports plus making the handeling feel more solid

Firmer = the objective fact that the suspension gets just that...firmer
      03-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #15
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well then let me explain...

Squat = the subjective feeling that car assumes when i select sports plus making the handeling feel more solid

Firmer = the objective fact that the suspension gets just that...firmer
It doesn't assume any other position. Have your gf push the button while you stand outside and watch. It's not a transformer.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #16
xpunisherx
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
It doesn't assume any other position. Have your gf push the button while you stand outside and watch. It's not a transformer.
"SUBJECTIVE" = based on or influenced by personal feelings.

Try reading...

03-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #17
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

Yes I like the subjective feeling of monkeys flying out my ass when I stomp the throttle. By subjective you mean a made up scenario that doesn't really exist got it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #18
tdott
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
So you made up your own definition of what squat actually means?
That makes you objectively wrong.

Squatting in automotive suspension terms is when the rear of the car drops down when the car accelerates

Anti-squat describes the angle of the rear hinge-pins relative to the horizontal plane. Its purpose is to make the car squat less when accelerating.
      03-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #19
BzsBimmer
2-4-6-8 My car and house depreciate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to BzsBimmer
I squat when I poop and feel my tummy get firmer. Does that mean my EDC works?

You should feel the road imperfections a lot more with EDC set on both lights. Maybe take it to the dealer if under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:54 PM   #20
M3 GT4
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
I've noticed it less on ZCP cars.

The EDC works differently in ZCP than in the regular cars.
A quick search to refresh our mind about what changed in ZCP :
"the Competition Package provides further optimised [...] control of the electronic damper adjustment function EDC including a Sport mode has been precisely adjusted to the chassis modifications."

Which simply means they re-adjusted the EDC software MAPs to the 10 mm (half an inch) lower ZCP suspensions (Center of Gravity got closer to the rear drive pivot axis (= the rear axle) when accelerating/decelerating the car).It's done everytime they put EDC in a physically different car : E6x M5, M6, standard E92 M3 and finally the ZCP M3.

EDC directly affects vertical acceleration (up and down) at each of the four wheels suspensions. But 10mm lower suspension already naturally reduces the moment of forces around the rear axle even before EDC damping.

Quote:
You are very wrong. I'll explain below. The stance of the car (height of chassis relative to the road) changes when the car is under acceleration (unless coil springs were replaced by solid bricks). EDC is compensating dynamically only to keep the car chassis parallel to the road, but under constant acceleration the car will assume a pitch that will be different than the static stance at constant speed or stopped.

Quote:
Squatting in automotive suspension terms is when the rear of the car drops down when the car accelerates. Anti-squat describes the angle of the rear hinge-pins relative to the horizontal plane. Its purpose is to make the car squat less when accelerating.
Correct, but you only summarily understand this apparently. (see below)

A shock absorber is a damper that exercises a force which resists movement along it's axis proportionally to speed of movement and in either direction. On the M3 there are 3 vertical acceleration sensors (two on the front wheels suspensions, one on the rear right suspension). When the car is under constant acceleration (let's say accelerating on the highway from 40mph to 80 mph) the mass of the car moment around its center of gravity wants to squat the rear suspension down and lift the front of the car. That force is directly proportional to the car's acceleration. Assuming the EDC is set to Comfort mode, the EDC-K actuators opens the magnetic valves in the shock absorbers so that the resistance force of the shocks to movement is reduced. This result in an critically-damped suspension that quickly squats under acceleration (not desired for performance). This gives maximum comfort as each suspension quickly responds to absorb road bumps/irregularities, but the car is not glued to the road for best adherence and traction.

Now take the same scenario of constant acceleration but set EDC to sport mode. The shock absorbers magnetic valves are more closed, the system is over damped, it opposes more force to speed of movement of the suspensions pistons up and down their axis. That means they will settle much slower to the position where the coil spring offers equal and opposite balancing force to the squat force at that acceleration.

The above picture illustrates damping for a critically damped system (more like 'comfort' mode, damping factor = 1.0, red curve) and an overdamped system (more like sport mode, D factor > 1.0, light blue curve). The case where D factor is < 1.0 (oscillation while settling, green curve) is never by design, it only occurs if you have broken shock absorbers that started to leak. The sinusoidal curve (blue curve is with no shocks at all and no energy lost in the system).

If you switch from comfort to sport EDC the immediate change in the magnetic valves openings in the shocks result in a larger opposing force to movements by the shocks leading to a different vertical transition to the equilibrium position of the suspension and coil springs. But the final squat angle will be independent of the EDC mode selected. The damping in upward direction (suspension rebounding) and damping downward (compression) forces of the dampers are set differently by design, the compression phase (acting on the rear suspensions in this scenario) are less damped than the rebounding phase (acting on the front suspensions in this scenario). So as the driver presses the 'sport' EDC button and floors the throttle he will feel the back of the car squatting down faster than the front of the car will move up . Overall it should feel like crouching (when under acceleration). This can be inferred from The M3 EDC control curves below :

Above is the characteristic curve representing the M3 EDC shock force [in NM] resisting movement in response to vertical speed at the wheel [in meter per second]. The top portion is reaction force to up speed movement, the bottom portion reaction force to down speed movement. The Sport EDC mode correspond to the red curve with stronger reaction force.

ALL the above refers to DYNAMIC response under car acceleration. Not STATIC response. IF the car is not accelerating (driving at constant speed) then pressing the EDC button will not change the pitch and center height of the chassis (and therefore cabin) relative to the road (which remains the same as the parked car stance). It will only affect how bumps and road irregularities are felt inside the cabin. Obviously the faster you drive the more those road effect will be felt (and hence EDC compensation).

Last edited by M3 GT4; 03-25-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 10:04 PM   #21
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

You never felt your EDC was working , but you know every single thing about it !
Crazy..But typical "you"
      03-25-2015, 12:26 AM   #22
M3 GT4
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
You never felt your EDC was working , but you know every single thing about it !
Crazy..But typical "you"
I guess my car was so satisfying otherwise, i didn't bother to pay a lot of attention to EDC until now.
A car suspension operation can be understood with a non-uniform linear second order differential equation model. Off course if you have an engineering degree in Control theory and 30 years of engineering in mechanics, it helps.

It seems EDC relies on many other subsystem in the M3. EDC relies on the DSC to get wheel speeds, Steering column switch cluster for steering angle and 3 vertical acceleration sensors. The EDC electronic control unit is in the trunk under the right side panel.
I'll know tomorrow if it's allright.

Last edited by M3 GT4; 03-25-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Appreciate 0