BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

ESS Tuning

11-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 Jerez Black e92 m3

Windshield help

i have a cracked windshield and was wondering if it is better to go through insurance to get it replaced or pay out of pocket? also is it better to go to bmw or a 3rd party body shop? i am in ny and was also wondering if i did go through insurance (state farm) will my rates go up?
infamxkris is offline   United_States
      11-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
rjd598
Brigadier General

Drives: 10' M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
there are some insurance companies that have the windshield replacement incorporated into their policies. so i would say go through insurance hopefully it's in your policy and if it is i don't think your policy would go up. also definitely go to bmw to get your windshield replaced regardless. there was a video posted here awhile back showing how 3rd part shops didn't know the right procedures on how to install a new windshield and the results could be very bad

rjd598 is offline   United_States
      11-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
passing
hey

Drives: caprice wagon

what is your deductible for glass? i dont think glass claims will increase your rate.
passing is offline   Tanzania
      11-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
kscarrol
Colonel

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Check your insurance policy to see if windshields are covered. We keep a higher deductible so we are not covered (USAA) but it just depends on your policy. And no, a windshield replacement will not impact your rates.

We have used Safelite several times over the years with very good results. I asked my service rep once years ago and he admitted that they sub-contract Safelite to handle their windshield replacements...
kscarrol is online now   United_States
      11-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
WillC310
Lieutenant

Drives: A car

Def check with your insurance company first. My parents had their windshield replaced, $0 deductable and no premium increase. If they paid out of pocket, it would have been $500 or something stupid like that. The insurance company will have a list of companies they work with that you can set up an appointment and you can ask if they have OE glass. They just bill back to insurance and not you.
      11-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
shendrick
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3

After you check if insurance will cover the glass, you then need to decide if you are going to go OEM or aftermarket. If insurance is paying they will try really hard to make you go aftemarket because its like 1/2 the cost. However, I would go OEM or you might get screwed with the upper tint and black masking not lining up well. I would also ask your BMW dealer who should do the job - because there are good glass people and not so good class people.
shendrick is offline   United_States
      11-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
m3an
Banned

Drives: M3

First check state laws as some states require no ded glass coverage (i.e. FL). Some insurance companies have glass policies attached to the comp coverage w/ $0 ded. So check your insurance policy. Secondly, the insurance company would like you to go to Safelite (who aren't bad) but you're entitled to go wherever you wish. My advice is to contact your local BMW dealer and or BMW collision shop and ask who does their glass work and then make an appoiment with that person.

Insurance will prob use A/M glass, which I would def inspect first for clarity issues. OEM glass is Pilkington, and even A/M Pilkington is great but won't have the OEM BMW logo on the driver's side. I would stick with Pilkington or PPG (also know as PGW as PPG changed their glass division to Pittsburgh Glass Works). Hope this helps!
      11-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
WingZeroX5
Major

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

replacing/repairing windshield is a safety issue, not a fault claim, so your rates will not go up.

If your car is financed, then you have comprehensive, which will cover glass. This may vary with your state

BTW from my experience, Pilkington glass pits very easily. Never got the chance to try an aftermarket glass though
      11-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
donovan
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 m3 AW, light package

Call you insurance company and ask them is it covered under some type of plan...

your wildshield will be more than 500 if you get a factory BMW windshield...but

e46 m3 Black
Too many mods
donovan is offline   Germany
      11-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
IL8Apex
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT, 1999 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
BTW from my experience, Pilkington glass pits very easily. Never got the chance to try an aftermarket glass though
The BMW glass made by Sekurit already chips like ice in a hockey rink. Pilkington is made in the USA, whereas PPG/PGW outsources to China.

The choice is yours, although I always like to support American businesses whenever possible. Clarity-wise I think Sekurit is still best.