BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
///M3Owner's Avatar
17
Rep
442
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Gloss Black Rims

Is there any advice on how I can keep my rims looking shiny and clean? I seem to have no idea how to keep my rims looking clean, since they get dirty within a day or two after cleaning them. Any tips on what I should do to them besides cleaning them with water and soap?
__________________
2011 E92 M3 Metallic White Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
izzyM3
Lieutenant
izzyM3's Avatar
9
Rep
498
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southbay

iTrader: (2)

lick em like... kidding, don't do that! they say waxing your rims helps the dust from sticking.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Arben72
Banned
Albania
6
Rep
466
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Clean them like you normally do. Then go to a auto parts store and buy some armor all brake dust repellant. If you don't use about almost all the can on all the wheels your not using enough. It's the only armor all product that works. I've had bad luck with the meguirs one, and wheel wax just makes it easier to clean.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
119
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

Use less brakes
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Endless619
DHS
Endless619's Avatar
Spain
54
Rep
3,930
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Owner View Post
Is there any advice on how I can keep my rims looking shiny and clean? I seem to have no idea how to keep my rims looking clean, since they get dirty within a day or two after cleaning them. Any tips on what I should do to them besides cleaning them with water and soap?
I have gloss black Volks and honestly I wipe them down everyday (if I drive the car) with a terry cloth and Meguiars Quick Detail spray since brake dust loves black. Otherwise they get cleaned when I wash the car.

The thing to remember is the dust can scratch the lip so be careful and recommend cleaning them after you wash your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
96
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

wow. i like my stock wheels. sometimes they are the stock silver color, sometimes they are gunmetal (brake dust) and it really doesn't matter. but yes, wheel wax will help, get the inner barrel especially if you really want to keep them clean. I wash the car every week or every other week depending on if I have the time to.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
///M3THOD's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,571
Posts

 
Drives: '14 F10 M5 CP
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ATL/Buckhead

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Owner View Post
Is there any advice on how I can keep my rims looking shiny and clean? I seem to have no idea how to keep my rims looking clean, since they get dirty within a day or two after cleaning them. Any tips on what I should do to them besides cleaning them with water and soap?
Change your pads to a lower dust compound. I've used Hawk HPS before and they are extremely low dust and offer OEM performance, if not better.

You can also clay bar and wax your wheels with a wheel specific wax compound to keep the them as slick as possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
96
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

i was just gonna say - please do not go to a lower dust compound LOL.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Detroit M3
Major
Detroit M3's Avatar
13
Rep
1,089
Posts

 
Drives: Murdered E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bloomfield Hills

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyM3 View Post
lick em like... kidding, don't do that! they say waxing your rims helps the dust from sticking.
__________________
E92. ModeCarbon. iND. eisenmann. ACM Test Pipe. BPM Sport. KW.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
FVM3
Major General
FVM3's Avatar
115
Rep
5,739
Posts

 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

clean it more often
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
tpowerdinny
Specialist
8
Rep
672
Posts

 
Drives: A Tricycle
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

wax your wheels and get low dust pads... won't solve your problems completely but a lot less washing
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
///M3THOD's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,571
Posts

 
Drives: '14 F10 M5 CP
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ATL/Buckhead

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
i was just gonna say - please do not go to a lower dust compound LOL.


I would never sacrifice braking performance for a cleaner wheel. However, I have used HPS's before and I thought their performance was superior to the OEM pads and as an added value they were lower dust.. I guess just based on the pad compound.

But generally.. yes, I agree with you
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
M3ZCP6MT's Avatar
22
Rep
605
Posts

 
Drives: 381 ///M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

Sonax Wheel Cleaner is the best cleaner I've used. Extraordinary Visible results. After rinsing them, I wipe them off with Sonax High Speed Wax. Amazon has best prices for both.
__________________
.

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
96
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post


I would never sacrifice braking performance for a cleaner wheel. However, I have used HPS's before and I thought their performance was superior to the OEM pads and as an added value they were lower dust.. I guess just based on the pad compound.

But generally.. yes, I agree with you
i never thought that the oem pads weren't bad at all - they give enough performance for the street. on the track yes they almost melted off but aren't the hps pads the ones that just become brittle and completely come off on the track? i don't know what type of performance that is. (please correct me if i'm wrong)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
///M3THOD's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,571
Posts

 
Drives: '14 F10 M5 CP
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ATL/Buckhead

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
i never thought that the oem pads weren't bad at all - they give enough performance for the street. on the track yes they almost melted off but aren't the hps pads the ones that just become brittle and completely come off on the track? i don't know what type of performance that is. (please correct me if i'm wrong)
I used them on my gen 1 CTS-V, not on the M.

The HPS are street pads/light track duty and while I haven't ever heard of what your describing.. I wouldn't be surprised if any street pads, when push to the limit, didn't exhibit alarming characteristics in some manner.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
Trip3's
Lieutenant
Trip3's's Avatar
8
Rep
449
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Long island

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arben72 View Post
Clean them like you normally do. Then go to a auto parts store and buy some armor all brake dust repellant. If you don't use about almost all the can on all the wheels your not using enough. It's the only armor all product that works. I've had bad luck with the meguirs one, and wheel wax just makes it easier to clean.
What problems did you have with Meguiars? I just bought a can and I'm wondering if I should return it. Thanks!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #17
Arben72
Banned
Albania
6
Rep
466
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip3's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arben72 View Post
Clean them like you normally do. Then go to a auto parts store and buy some armor all brake dust repellant. If you don't use about almost all the can on all the wheels your not using enough. It's the only armor all product that works. I've had bad luck with the meguirs one, and wheel wax just makes it easier to clean.
What problems did you have with Meguiars? I just bought a can and I'm wondering if I should return it. Thanks!
I mean it was probably more of my fault but it left this wax like substance that didn't dry clear and was next to impossible to remove on part of 2 of the wheels. Nothing wrong with it it's just that armor all works better for this.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #18
Ricfutures
Lieutenant
Ricfutures's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
490
Posts

 
Drives: EB M235i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Go satin black
__________________
EB M235i ()
E92 M3 ()
350z (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #19
edwinm3
Colonel
edwinm3's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
2,121
Posts

 
Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Doral

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ZCP6MT
Sonax Wheel Cleaner is the best cleaner I've used. Extraordinary Visible results. After rinsing them, I wipe them off with Sonax High Speed Wax. Amazon has best prices for both.
Don't think it's a good idea to use it often.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST