BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
manari06
Major
manari06's Avatar
Germany
28
Rep
1,010
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illesheim, Germany

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [4.75]
2007 335I Coupe  [5.00]
Arrow Must read! Shipping to APO/FPO/DPO!!!!!

Hello everyone!!! I'm not trying to start a war with this thread but I think that it is necessary to addressed this a bit. I'm currently stationed in Germany and like me there's tens of thousands more service members all over the world.

I'm a firm supporter of this forum and the sponsors so this is why I purchase everything I need for my cars from here; but thereís a lot of confusion when it comes to shipping to APO/FPO/DPO addresses. Firstable it is a Domestic US address! Even though we are in a different country USPS charges domestic rates for shipping.

This is how shipping to those addresses works! You shipped a package thru USPS which is the only and economical way to ship to this addresses, USPS handles the package and ships it out from APO/FPO/DPO HUBS mainly in NY or SF and then handles the package over to the Military Postal Service (MPS) who takes over the package and delivers the package to its final destination. The Military Post office does not charge for flying the package to its destination so we are only paying USPS for delivering to the HUB.
When mailing from APO/FPO/DPO to APO/FPO/DPO it is totally free up to 70 pounds; Only when mailing from APO/FPO/DPO to regular Domestic address is when you have to pay for shipping because is a reverse process. I'm not saying that consumers shouldn't have to pay for shipping but letís make it fair and not over inflate shipping charges. I'm not singling out any sponsor or private seller just educating so that there be less confusions and more happy buyers. It is a win situation for everyone.

Processing Military Mail
The Postal Service places APO/FPO mail on international commercial passenger service and
International cargo service aircraft from New York or San Francisco. When the plane lands overseas, the mail is tendered to the Military. The mail is then handled by Military Postal Service (Civilian) representative and transported to the Military Post Office for distribution to the service memberís unit for delivery to the recipient. The Military Postal Service Agency (MPSA) is an extension of the United States Postal Service providing Department of Defense personnel, their family members and other authorized users mail services around the world

APO/FPO addresses are not international addresses. Many businesses feel that because our
Customers reside in a foreign country; military mail goes through an international system. All mail goes through the United States Postal Service at the same rate you would pay for delivery to a US address.

This is where I gathered some of the info from. It is a PDF

file.http://www.shopmyexchange.com/Images...s/apoguide.pdf

https://www.usps.com/ship/apo-fpo-guidelines.htm

Our military service members and diplomatic personnel work hard for us overseas. Far from home, few things brighten their days more than mail from friends and loved ones. Although for APO/FPO/DPO shipments you pay domestic prices, youíll need to follow special guidelines.

This should be a sticky!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
nbennettksu
Major
32
Rep
1,234
Posts

 
Drives: AYF80/PYE46
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale

iTrader: (0)

Good info; and thank you for your service!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
Caddy ATS . . . finally, a decent rental car option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
Cyclone Chris's Avatar
United Kingdom
5
Rep
224
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 SG M3 ZCP / DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk County, UK

iTrader: (0)

Well said. I'm tired of multiple BMW dealers tell me that its against the rules to Ship APO. I think they get lazy to just fill out a customs declaration form on anything besides letters.
__________________

2005 Pontiac GTO - 6Spd - 445 RWHP/415 RWTQ - SOLD
2013 BMW M3 Coupe - /// Competition Pkg /// Premium Pkg /// Dual Clutch Transmission /// BMW Apps /// Heated Seats ///
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
manari06
Major
manari06's Avatar
Germany
28
Rep
1,010
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illesheim, Germany

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [4.75]
2007 335I Coupe  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu View Post
Good info; and thank you for your service!
Just trying to clear the smoke and stigma about it!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Chris View Post
Well said. I'm tired of multiple BMW dealers tell me that its against the rules to Ship APO. I think they get lazy to just fill out a customs declaration form on anything besides letters.
I'd bet that's the case 99% of the time.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
manari06
Major
manari06's Avatar
Germany
28
Rep
1,010
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illesheim, Germany

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [4.75]
2007 335I Coupe  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I'd bet that's the case 99% of the time.
Yup I bet also! I ordered wheels VMR 710 a little over a week ago and I know I got over charged for shipping but now I'm prepared and It won't happen again. I still got more upgrade parts to order so if they tried to give me the run around and bullshit me I'll take my busisness some place else.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
gallian93
Captain
gallian93's Avatar
9
Rep
657
Posts

 
Drives: 11 X6M / X5
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: philadelphia PA

iTrader: (21)

Garage List
"Firstable" this is good info to know...
jk ... i know i shouldn't .... but i couldn't resist... flame on!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
manari06
Major
manari06's Avatar
Germany
28
Rep
1,010
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illesheim, Germany

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [4.75]
2007 335I Coupe  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallian93 View Post
"Firstable" this is good info to know...
jk ... i know i shouldn't .... but i couldn't resist... flame on!!!
LOL!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
Poofyo101
Major
Poofyo101's Avatar
24
Rep
1,228
Posts

 
Drives: e92 ///M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NC

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
Actually the percentage of lost packages shipped to APO addresses are much higher for my online business than normal us addresses.
This could effect why businesses do not want to ship them to APO addresses.
__________________
12 E92 M3-AW/FR-20" BBS LM-Painted Reflectors-BMW Gloss Black Grills + Gills-BMW Performance LED Wheel-BMW Carbon Performance Spoiler-Akra Evolution-Stoptech Trophy
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
M3AN///AW
Technical Sergeant
M3AN///AW's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
43
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

In my experience, there are a number of vendors that are absolutely top notch when purchasing items and getting them shipped here to Germany at minimal cost. On a few occasions, the vendor didn't even charge me for shipping because I was military. Customer service folks, is what will bring buyers back every time.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
Moxie's Avatar
Germany
25
Rep
1,860
Posts

 
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Stuttgart

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AN///AW View Post
In my experience, there are a number of vendors that are absolutely top notch when purchasing items and getting them shipped here to Germany at minimal cost. On a few occasions, the vendor didn't even charge me for shipping because I was military. Customer service folks, is what will bring buyers back every time.
List the ones that don't charge shipping....I had one that wanted to charge $50 extra to send a set of wheels casue they had to fill out the customs form -
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
manari06
Major
manari06's Avatar
Germany
28
Rep
1,010
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illesheim, Germany

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [4.75]
2007 335I Coupe  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poofyo101 View Post
Actually the percentage of lost packages shipped to APO addresses are much higher for my online business than normal us addresses.
This could effect why businesses do not want to ship them to APO addresses.
I know that packages get lost from time to time but the post office and the Military post office are very good at delivering and getting the packages to its final destination. I've been deployed 4 times and currently in Afghanistan never had any issues getting packages delivered here in Afghanistan so I know that Germany is even easier to get them on a timely manner. But for me is about charging the fair shipping charges as proven on this thread it is a domestic address and vendors should charge a domestic rate; also we can always insured the packages.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
Moxie's Avatar
Germany
25
Rep
1,860
Posts

 
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Stuttgart

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manari06 View Post
I know that packages get lost from time to time but the post office and the Military post office are very good at delivering and getting the packages to its final destination. I've been deployed 4 times and currently in Afghanistan never had any issues getting packages delivered here in Afghanistan so I know that Germany is even easier to get them on a timely manner. But for me is about charging the fair shipping charges as proven on this thread it is a domestic address and vendors should charge a domestic rate; also we can always insured the packages.
The only time anything arrived damaged was because it wasn't properly packaged by the vender trying to cram too much in a box w/o necessary packing materiel.....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
31
Rep
2,731
Posts

 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

iTrader: (1)

Agreed. I never had an issue with lost or damaged packages when I was in Germany. Priority Mail takes about a week and that's MILES better than the 30-45 days Parcel Post takes.

I know Tire Rack doesn't charge any extra for shipping Priority to APO/FPO addresses.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
manari06
Major
manari06's Avatar
Germany
28
Rep
1,010
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illesheim, Germany

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [4.75]
2007 335I Coupe  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Agreed. I never had an issue with lost or damaged packages when I was in Germany. Priority Mail takes about a week and that's MILES better than the 30-45 days Parcel Post takes.

I know Tire Rack doesn't charge any extra for shipping Priority to APO/FPO addresses.
Yup ordered winter tires for my new M3 same time I ordered the wheels and just paid $86.00 for shipping thru Tire Rack
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
positiveions
Lieutenant General
positiveions's Avatar
Lebanon
114
Rep
10,529
Posts

 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Chris View Post
Well said. I'm tired of multiple BMW dealers tell me that its against the rules to Ship APO. I think they get lazy to just fill out a customs declaration form on anything besides letters.
Agreed. People are lazy. Need to address this to BMW.
It's enough you guys pay the price, and place your life in harm's way.
God bless you all. And thank you for your services.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
ottoblotto
///M-Flight Bavaria
ottoblotto's Avatar
Germany
18
Rep
1,210
Posts

 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Im around

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3 E90  [5.00]
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
All of my purchases with vendors or private always start with: "Would you mind shipping to APO AE? You can do a flat rate Priority mail box through USPS and its the same as shipping to NY/NJ." 95% of the time they are like no problem. Only a few have said no due to previous experience with lost mail. But, I tell them that they can also request signature confirmation to make them more at ease. Things can be done, its up to the seller if they want my money or the next seller can have it...
__________________
"With great power comes great responsibility." -El-Superbeasto
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
manari06
Major
manari06's Avatar
Germany
28
Rep
1,010
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illesheim, Germany

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [4.75]
2007 335I Coupe  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Agreed. People are lazy. Need to address this to BMW.
It's enough you guys pay the price, and place your life in harm's way.
God bless you all. And thank you for your services.
Yup or some just because we are military and overseas try to take advantage.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
Cyclone Chris's Avatar
United Kingdom
5
Rep
224
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 SG M3 ZCP / DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk County, UK

iTrader: (0)

On a positive note, I have to give props to Tischer BMW and IND. they had my parts shipped out APO the same day, and I received them 5 days later in England. Since I'm currently in Germany my wife calls me and tells me why I'm receiving parts from BMW even before I take delivery of the actual car. The downside of the customs form is that hey put down a value. So now I owe the wifey something. Lol.

On average I have 1-2 pkgs shipped APO every month. Whether it be Afganistan, Saudi, UK, or whatever other country. I've never had one lost. The Military Mail System is very reliable.
__________________

2005 Pontiac GTO - 6Spd - 445 RWHP/415 RWTQ - SOLD
2013 BMW M3 Coupe - /// Competition Pkg /// Premium Pkg /// Dual Clutch Transmission /// BMW Apps /// Heated Seats ///
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
manari06
Major
manari06's Avatar
Germany
28
Rep
1,010
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illesheim, Germany

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [4.75]
2007 335I Coupe  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
All of my purchases with vendors or private always start with: "Would you mind shipping to APO AE? You can do a flat rate Priority mail box through USPS and its the same as shipping to NY/NJ." 95% of the time they are like no problem. Only a few have said no due to previous experience with lost mail. But, I tell them that they can also request signature confirmation to make them more at ease. Things can be done, its up to the seller if they want my money or the next seller can have it...
Yeah Bro! this is what I'm saying, is not free plus we are paying for shipping just don't try to take us for a ride! bottom line is that all the post office charges is a domestic rate so they can not play that international shipping game. I hope that with this info military overseas buyer are better informed and armed, and for the sellers to realize that some of us did our home work on this.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #21
manari06
Major
manari06's Avatar
Germany
28
Rep
1,010
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illesheim, Germany

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [4.75]
2007 335I Coupe  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Chris View Post
On a positive note, I have to give props to Tischer BMW and IND. they had my parts shipped out APO the same day, and I received them 5 days later in England. Since I'm currently in Germany my wife calls me and tells me why I'm receiving parts from BMW even before I take delivery of the actual car. The downside of the customs form is that hey put down a value. So now I owe the wifey something. Lol.

On average I have 1-2 pkgs shipped APO every month. Whether it be Afganistan, Saudi, UK, or whatever other country. I've never had one lost. The Military Mail System is very reliable.
Yeah Bro I know what you mean! My car is not built yet it will be by the end of the month or begining of December and I already ordered wheels, winter tires and paddle shifters for it! The wife tells me the same thing. I know that theres good sponsors here that will ship fast and are reliable this is why I buy from the sponsors on here, but they all need to realize how much more business they will get if shipping charges to APO AE are fair.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #22
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
10
Rep
976
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 AW
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto
All of my purchases with vendors or private always start with: "Would you mind shipping to APO AE? You can do a flat rate Priority mail box through USPS and its the same as shipping to NY/NJ." 95% of the time they are like no problem. Only a few have said no due to previous experience with lost mail. But, I tell them that they can also request signature confirmation to make them more at ease. Things can be done, its up to the seller if they want my money or the next seller can have it...
Exactly... I am also stationed in Germany and if a certain business/company does not want to ship to an APO add... Oh well, move on to the next one. I don't stress about it- for sure I don't see the need to write an essay on it.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST