BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

06-18-2015, 12:01 AM   #1
Bimmer-M3
Major
Rep
Drives: e90

Interior + leather cleaner

I am looking for a cleaner for my m3 leather seats and interior cleaner as well. My search concluded on those two products:

1- Griots products.
2- Leather master.

I am not interested in other products as they are either takes time and messy to use and/or expensive.

Which one should I go for from above options?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
In my experience, every one of the Griot's chemical products have been OK but not great. Just very middle-of-the-road stuff with good marketing behind them. It seemed their interior cleaner was a bit harsh and softened the rubber coating on certain black plastic trim, and was unsafe for leather steering wheels as well.

I've been using Leather Masters leather conditioner on furniture inside the house and have been happy with it, as well as an occasional touch-up on high exposure areas of my M3 seats. No issues, but haven't tried their cleaners.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
Bimmer-M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
In my experience, every one of the Griot's chemical products have been OK but not great. Just very middle-of-the-road stuff with good marketing behind them. It seemed their interior cleaner was a bit harsh and softened the rubber coating on certain black plastic trim, and was unsafe for leather steering wheels as well.

I've been using Leather Masters leather conditioner on furniture inside the house and have been happy with it, as well as an occasional touch-up on high exposure areas of my M3 seats. No issues, but haven't tried their cleaners.
I heard good things about Griot products, I hope it doesn't damage my leather. Do you recommend Leather Masters cleaner for better results?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
rjd598
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
leather masters is great, but it is meant for heavy duty cleaning as in maybe once a year cleaning. i recommend sonax leather foam. look it up, read the reviews, and buy it. i've tested alot of leather cleaners.

for a general interior cleaner go with 1z cockpit. look it up, read the reviews, and buy it. this is the staple in most detailers arsenal for interior cleaning. don't think many will disagree with this.
      06-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #5
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-M3 View Post
I heard good things about Griot products, I hope it doesn't damage my leather. Do you recommend Leather Masters cleaner for better results?
Haven't used the Leather Masters Cleaner, just the leather creams/conditioner.

I don't think Griot's products will damage your leather. However, they are not generally chosen by pro detailers for a variety of reasons. Since Amazon now carries most of the pro-level brands of detailing stuff, I don't bother with Griot's and most of the auto parts store brands anymore. The Griot's orbital polishers are pretty good, but that's about the extent of what I use from them these days...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

For leather, I use Lexol and a horsehair brush. I think using warm water and a brush to get the gentle agitation is more important that the product itself.

I bought the Griot's interior cleaner. I like it, its a mild APC. Foams nicely, I don't think its that aggressive from what I've read from the reviews.

I recommend watching some YouTube videos to see the various techniques. The technique is more important than the product you use
[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bd_IqK5ydU&index=6&list=PLdiXByfWNPmfld0e X23l3_o6I_cACgfwQ[/u2b]
[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOXGNRgjYn8&index=21&list=PLdiXByfWNPmfld0 eX23l3_o6I_cACgfwQ[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
Bimmer-M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmike View Post
For leather, I use Lexol and a horsehair brush. I think using warm water and a brush to get the gentle agitation is more important that the product itself.

I bought the Griot's interior cleaner. I like it, its a mild APC. Foams nicely, I don't think its that aggressive from what I've read from the reviews.

I recommend watching some YouTube videos to see the various techniques. The technique is more important than the product you use
[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bd_IqK5ydU&index=6&list=PLdiXByfWNPmfld0e X23l3_o6I_cACgfwQ[/u2b]
[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOXGNRgjYn8&index=21&list=PLdiXByfWNPmfld0 eX23l3_o6I_cACgfwQ[/u2b]
Thanks man. I will look into these more carefully. One question, which brush do you use to clean?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
rjd598
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
lol okay just completely ignore my suggestions. butthurt levels over 9000
      06-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #9
Bimmer-M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
lol okay just completely ignore my suggestions. butthurt levels over 9000
I am also considering sonax ...too many products not sure what to go with lol
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #10
rjd598
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I am also considering sonax ...too many products not sure what to go with lol
no disrespect to the other member, but lexol is not the best leather cleaner. i'm not trying to sound pompous or a know it all, but i've been researching and detailing for a few years now. my recommendations will be backed up by many. try the sonax cleaner. if you don't like it i'll buy it off of you. no joke.
      06-19-2015, 05:55 PM   #11
Bimmer-M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
no disrespect to the other member, but lexol is not the best leather cleaner. i'm not trying to sound pompous or a know it all, but i've been researching and detailing for a few years now. my recommendations will be backed up by many. try the sonax cleaner. if you don't like it i'll buy it off of you. no joke.
Thanks for the advice, I will try sonax since I see you have a lot of experience with detailing products. Is there any recommendation of how to use it or do I just follow the instruction on the bottle?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #12
rjd598
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I will try sonax since I see you have a lot of experience with detailing products. Is there any recommendation of how to use it or do I just follow the instruction on the bottle?
the instructions will do fine! spray on, wait 30 seconds or so, then wipe off. i believe that's the process.
      06-21-2015, 06:25 PM   #13
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 JRZ BLK 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598
Quote:
the instructions will do fine! spray on, wait 30 seconds or so, then wipe off. i believe that's the process.
I bought a can of the Sonax. it good stuff but more of a upkeep product then a cleaner I've found. I still do leatherique for a full clean.

I tried it on my steering wheel which was really dirty and it just didn't do the trick.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #14
rjd598
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnykin View Post
I bought a can of the Sonax. it good stuff but more of a upkeep product then a cleaner I've found. I still do leatherique for a full clean.

I tried it on my steering wheel which was really dirty and it just didn't do the trick.
yes it is an upkeep product. as i mentioned before leather masters is that 1-2 times a year product. if you use leather masters/leatherique then there is no need to be using it consistently throughout the year. you only need a product to to maintain the finish and the sonax product does that beautifully.

if you use a waterless wash on an extremely dirty car of course it won't do the trick the way a normal wash would. same with your steering wheel.
      06-23-2015, 02:15 AM   #15
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Thanks man. I will look into these more carefully. One question, which brush do you use to clean?
I use a brush similar to this:
http://www.autogeek.net/natural-hors...ery-brush.html

Quote:
I have no allegiance to Lexol, I'm just trying to use the rest of my bottle that I have Haven't tried the Sonax Leather cleaner, but I'll add that to my list of stuff to try.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 02:20 AM   #16
imserious
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90M LMB

I like the griots interior cleaner. Good stuff. Gentle, but better than water and leaves a matte finish. I didn't like griots leather conditioner. Too greasy.

I like leather masters conditioner, nice and matte, but their cleaner didn't clean much at all for me.

I'm going to have to try this 1z cockpit stuff at some point.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 03:08 AM   #17
Leonardo629
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

I use 1z einszett products for my leather interior, specifically

-Plastic deep cleaner/fine brush to remove all dirt and grime
-Leather Care 'Lederpflege' to condition the leather, consider this like a wax for leather
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #18
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 JRZ BLK 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629
I use 1z einszett products for my leather interior, specifically

-Plastic deep cleaner/fine brush to remove all dirt and grime
-Leather Care 'Lederpflege' to condition the leather, consider this like a wax for leather
ya the Sonax has beeswax in it. makes for a nice finish as long as you clean the seats first. nothing worse than a leather treatment that leaves everything slick
Appreciate 0