BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
Racewerkz Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
808@702
7th BMW, 500th Surfboard
 
808@702's Avatar
 
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nv. and Honolulu, Hi.

Posts: 942
iTrader: (0)

What kind of black paint?

I have read that some members have sprayed the body of the exhaust black to "hide" the exhaust visible from behind the car (not the pipes). Thinking about this. Is there a high temp paint thaat needs to be used and if so what and where. Thanks.
808@702 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Amri215
Banned
 
Amri215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

I have done it..used VHT Flame proof flat black paint..its a PITA to cure though I had to run a heater for a day to get the paint to stick..you can cure it on the car but it will rub off on your hand when installing


Name:  VHT.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  10.0 KB
Amri215 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
808@702
7th BMW, 500th Surfboard
 
808@702's Avatar
 
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nv. and Honolulu, Hi.

Posts: 942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
I have done it..used VHT Flame proof flat black paint..its a PITA to cure though I had to run a heater for a day to get the paint to stick..you can cure it on the car but it will rub off on your hand when installing


Attachment 779841
Thank you sir. Auto parts store should have this or similar.
808@702 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,635
iTrader: (6)

BBQ paint should do the trick too. Hell, I bet even regular old Rustoleum flat black enamel would work. I use that shit for EVERYTHING and have never had an issue.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Amri215
Banned
 
Amri215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808@702 View Post
Thank you sir. Auto parts store should have this or similar.
They should,, I ordered mine off amazon.com
Amri215 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Sleeper519
Captain
 
Sleeper519's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 692
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
I have done it..used VHT Flame proof flat black paint..its a PITA to cure though I had to run a heater for a day to get the paint to stick..you can cure it on the car but it will rub off on your hand when installing
How exactly do you cure it?
__________________

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:12.32 / Barber 1:42.20
Sleeper519 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Amri215
Banned
 
Amri215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
How exactly do you cure it?
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/flameproof/

Instructions are here ^..you dont have to follow it exactly..I just used a kerosene heater directly on the exhaust turning it around every so often and then let cool ..repeated that 3 different times before installing
Amri215 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Amri215
Banned
 
Amri215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
BBQ paint should do the trick too. Hell, I bet even regular old Rustoleum flat black enamel would work. I use that shit for EVERYTHING and have never had an issue.
Nope.. will not hold up on an exhaust..too much heat..there is a correct paint for every job..
Amri215 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Sleeper519
Captain
 
Sleeper519's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 692
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/flameproof/

Instructions are here ^..you dont have to follow it exactly..I just used a kerosene heater directly on the exhaust turning it around every so often and then let cool ..repeated that 3 different times before installing
^ Thanks. I'll probably do this when I install my new (ugly) Corsa exhaust. Seems like it would be fairly easy to cure it on the car after careful drying out.

Powder coating is the other option but cost is higher. Anybody recommend going this route?
__________________

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:12.32 / Barber 1:42.20
Sleeper519 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,635
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
Nope.. will not hold up on an exhaust..too much heat..there is a correct paint for every job..
Have you tried the product I am referring to for this application?

edit: I have used it on rear mufflers on other cars and it works fine.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Amri215
Banned
 
Amri215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Have you tried the product I am referring to for this application?
I have used plain black rustoleum ofcourse and it works fine for its intended uses, which does not include exhaust applications, there is too much heat and it will flake off over time..yet you roll your eyes. I am puzzled by your need to be right, when you are clearly wrong here.

Please dont give incorrect advice, if you want the right outcome, you need to use a high heat paint for this application, period.
Amri215 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,635
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
I have used plain black rustoleum ofcourse and it works fine for its intended uses, which does not include exhaust applications, there is too much heat and it will flake off over time..yet you roll your eyes. I am puzzled by your need to be right, when you are clearly wrong here.

Please dont give incorrect advice, if you want the right outcome, you need to use a high heat paint for this application, period.
I am telling you that I have used it and it works fine. I don't know what you don't get about that. Have you actually used it on a muffler and it flaked off? I have and it didn't flake off. If you did, maybe you prepped the surface incorrectly.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
Amri215
Banned
 
Amri215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Hell, I bet even regular old Rustoleum flat black enamel would work. I use that shit for EVERYTHING and have never had an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
I am telling you that I have used it and it works fine. I don't know what you don't get about that. Have you actually used it on a muffler and it flaked off? I have and it didn't flake off. If you did, maybe you prepped the surface incorrectly.
So which is it? you "bet" it would work or it "did" work, either way, you're wrong.

You start with the right product and you will end up with the right result..end thread//
Amri215 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,635
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
So which is it? you "bet" it would work or it "did" work, either way, you're wrong.

You start with the right product and you will end up with the right result..end thread//
Which is it? I did not make a contradictory statement. Learn to read. I have used it on mufflers on other cars. Based on the successes I have had with it on other cars I would bet it will work on this car.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #15
Amri215
Banned
 
Amri215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Which is it? I did not make a contradictory statement. Learn to read. I have used it on mufflers on other cars. Based on the successes I have had with it on other cars I would bet it will work on this car.
I quoted you own posts, so how do I not know how to read, maybe you should learn to express what you want to say.. first it was "I bet it could work", then it was "oh I have done it on other cars" and now you're back to "I bet it will work on this car". take your bets to a casino dude.

You remind me of those people on the titanic, grasping for hope ..even though their cause is hopeless.

Can I ask you if both paints cost the same amount, what are you losing by using the correct paint to start with?

Oh and btw you're wrong..
Amri215 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,635
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
I quoted you own posts, so how do I not know how to read, maybe you should learn to express what you want to say.. first it was "I bet it could work", now its "oh I have done it on other cars" and now you're back to "I bet it will work on this car". take your bets to a casino dude.

You remind me of those people on the titanic, grasping for hope ..even though their cause is hopeless.

Can I ask you if both paints cost the same amount, what are you losing by using the correct paint to start with?

Oh and btw you're wrong..
You're in denial or something. The story has always been the same. You're grasping at straws here. I've done it on other cars and it has worked like a charm so there's no reason that it shouldn't work in this case too.

Both paints don't cost the same ($3 vs. $7, not that I care). And I have Rustoleum on hand at all times so I use it.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
Amri215
Banned
 
Amri215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

Picard agrees

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 208
Size:  51.0 KB
Amri215 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #18
Ken37.73
Private 1st Class
 
Ken37.73's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Jet Black
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland

Posts: 473
iTrader: (0)

Anyway mate - when you've decoded all that shiz about what can of spray to use I suggest saving your money and getting a nice new aftermarket back box. All this paint business is only messing around. Personally I went Milltek but also really liked the BMW M Performance version.
__________________
Ken37.73 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST