BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #23
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

^ bullshit. i've had a rolex almost 10 years. been everywhere with it (including underwater). it still doesn't lose a second. has held up quite well, and is probably the only thing i actually owned that has increased in value (nearly double, new vs. what i paid for mine new). you can wear it with sweats/t-shirt, or a suit and everything in between.

wtf is panerai?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #24
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloziROTHTOR View Post
^ bullshit. i've had a rolex almost 10 years. been everywhere with it (including underwater). it still doesn't lose a second. has held up quite well, and is probably the only thing i actually owned that has increased in value (nearly double, new vs. what i paid for mine new). you can wear it with sweats/t-shirt, or a suit and everything in between.

wtf is panerai?
Sorry, but you clearly don't have any idea about watches then. I'm glad you have had good luck with your watch but it doesn't change the fact that they are renowned for being mediocre time pieces. They are one of the most well marketed brands in the world that is enormously valuable. For that reason, they hold their value better than most of it's competitors. They make beautiful watches that are highly sought after. I have all kinds of respect for the company for its success and am waiting to find the right one for myself, knowing that there are many other watches that keep better time.

http://www.panerai.com/s_page.xpd?id...=1&id_lingua=2

Your lack of knowing who Panerai is demonstrates your limited watch knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #25
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Good post and I agree with your perception of Panerai (I personally don't care for the look, although I know they are currently rivalling Rolex for maintaining value).

But speaking of Rolex, they are one of the world's most iconic and valuable brands. However, solely speaking in terms of performance/quality/reliability , as a time piece, they are quite mediocre.

Just goes to show you what stellar marketing and brand development means in the retail world (cough, cough....BMW).
Certainly wouldn't refer to Rolex as mediocre. Breitling, Omega, etc are all in the same 'luxury' class. As you say there are higher end timepieces that don't have the mass production that the above have.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #26
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Certainly wouldn't refer to Rolex as mediocre. Breitling, Omega, etc are all in the same 'luxury' class. As you say there are higher end timepieces that don't have the mass production that the above have.
I am only saying mediocre in terms of actual time keeping capabilities. I get the rest of it and understand why they are valuable/sought after/iconic.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
I am only saying mediocre in terms of actual time keeping capabilities. I get the rest of it and understand why they are valuable/sought after/iconic.
Most newer Rolex are COSC. What's wrong with thier timekeeping?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #28
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
Most newer Rolex are COSC. What's wrong with thier timekeeping?
Meeting COSC standards, whether officially certified or not, isn't that difficult. I think the point was that Rolex is pretty middle of the road in technical horological terms. They are well built and hold (or gain) value, which is nice, but it's not like Rolex is head and shoulders above other similarly priced brands.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #29
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Meeting COSC standards, whether officially certified or not, isn't that difficult. I think the point was that Rolex is pretty middle of the road in technical horological terms. They are well built and hold (or gain) value, which is nice, but it's not like Rolex is head and shoulders above other similarly priced brands.
That was worded much better, and is the exact reason why I have a PO on my wrist today and not a Sub.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #30
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, but you clearly don't have any idea about watches then. I'm glad you have had good luck with your watch but it doesn't change the fact that they are renowned for being mediocre time pieces. They are one of the most well marketed brands in the world that is enormously valuable. For that reason, they hold their value better than most of it's competitors. They make beautiful watches that are highly sought after. I have all kinds of respect for the company for its success and am waiting to find the right one for myself, knowing that there are many other watches that keep better time.

http://www.panerai.com/s_page.xpd?id...=1&id_lingua=2

Your lack of knowing who Panerai is demonstrates your limited watch knowledge.
ok mr watch. get over yourself, it's just a watch

my prized watch is actually an orange jelly neff ($25, i'll just say it has sentimental value). but i feel better knowing you feel better that you "beat" me at something.

/thread

Last edited by amanda hor$t; 11-13-2012 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #31
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
SI have all kinds of respect for the company for its success and am waiting to find the right one for myself, knowing that there are many other watches that keep better time.
I'm on board with everything else you said, but this is a bit misleading.

You and I both know that a good temperature compensated quartz movement, or better yet an "atomic" watch that syncs with the Naval Observatory, will keep better time than even the most expensive mechanical movement. So if the issue is keeping time the best, a $100 Casio wins over everything.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #32
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

my prized watch is actually an orange jelly neff ($25, i'll just say it has sentimental value). but i feel better knowing you feel better that you "beat" me at something.

/thread
I remember something about you being banned from multiple forums ...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #33
toms335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Black Sedan

I am selling an Invicta Sapphire Ghost watch if anyone is interested please feel free to pm me. I posted a thread last week.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #34
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I remember something about you being banned from multiple forums ...
at least i'm used to it
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #35
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

I bought my Tag at the mall... it is COSC certified. I like it better than my Rolex and Omega. I think the size of the Tag is more modern (huge) than the older smaller faced Rolex/Omegas. I looked at the Milgauss, but even that case was too small for my preference. I guess you need to step up to a Daytona to get a big case.

Oh yeah, I have my old Tag Carrera Calibre 16 automatic for sale (black face). All 43mm of its case. Hit me up with an offer.
      11-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #36
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm on board with everything else you said, but this is a bit misleading.

You and I both know that a good temperature compensated quartz movement, or better yet an "atomic" watch that syncs with the Naval Observatory, will keep better time than even the most expensive mechanical movement. So if the issue is keeping time the best, a $100 Casio wins over everything.
Of course you're correct but it's always fun to see the reaction of the brand whores on this forum....see below:

Quote:

/thread
Don't know why you are taking a comment that was not even directed at you so personally....especially when it's just a watch.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #37
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Of course you're correct but it's always fun to see the reaction of the brand whores on this forum....see below:

Don't know why you are taking a comment that was not even directed at you so personally....especially when it's just a watch.
right, whatever (thanks for proving my point)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #38
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE4SPEED
I bought my Tag at the mall... it is COSC certified. I like it better than my Rolex and Omega. I think the size of the Tag is more modern (huge) than the older smaller faced Rolex/Omegas. I looked at the Milgauss, but even that case was too small for my preference. I guess you need to step up to a Daytona to get a big case.

Oh yeah, I have my old Tag Carrera Calibre 16 automatic for sale (black face). All 43mm of its case. Hit me up with an offer.
Pm pics please
      11-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #39
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms335i View Post
I am selling an Invicta Sapphire Ghost watch if anyone is interested please feel free to pm me. I posted a thread last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE4SPEED View Post

When did this become a FS thread?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #40
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

Well the title was speaking of nice watches... would be nice to have a forum trading/selling thread. Maybe the mods will move the jacks over to classifieds. Would prefer to buy from a fellow poster than random.
      11-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #41
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Of course you're correct but it's always fun to see the reaction of the brand whores on this forum....
It is interesting to get people's opinions on watches.

Personally I could never wear a watch daily that cost more than $500 - I'm not very careful so it would get beat to shiz. Anything expensive would be a special occasion thing, thus the Bathys does well for me ... with the added features of being from Hawaii and made out of geek-worthy materials (case milled from solid grade 5 titanium, strap of *real* kevlar).

It's a niche product and certainly not some "diver" automatic comparable to $5000+ panerais
Appreciate 0