BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
mikeycamp28
Private
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central Jersey

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
+1qt

my 2013 e92 with 3500miles has the +1qt. i went to dealer they just said add oil... is this normal to have to add 1qt to the car?
mikeycamp28 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
slicer
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,541
iTrader: (10)

Yes
__________________
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
slicer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
socalm3lover
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Carolina

Posts: 176
iTrader: (0)

I would not worry about it yet. Some of these cars burn oil. My '08 would sometimes burn a quart in the 5000+ range, but normally made it to the 7500 mile oil change. From what I read on the forums, some M3s use a quart in 1200-1500 miles.

John
socalm3lover is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
mikeycamp28
Private
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central Jersey

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
[quote=socalm3lover;14906257]I would not worry about it yet. Some of these cars burn oil. My '08 would sometimes burn a quart in the 5000+ range, but normally made it to the 7500 mile oil change. From what I read on the forums, some M3s use a quart in 1200-1500 miles.

John

yea i didnt think burning that much oil could happen. i walked into the dealer saw the m specialist that helped me with my car and he told me i must be driving the car the way it should be lol.
mikeycamp28 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,288
iTrader: (0)

So many oil threads all at once. Yes, needing a quart between oil changes even at 7500-mile intervals can happen, but just because it happened this time doesn't mean it'll always happen. My dealer just gives me a couple bottles when I'm low for free under Ultimate Service, so I keep them for topping up.

FYI though, when it says add a quart, start by adding only half. These electronic dipsticks are notoriously unreliable, and if you overfill the only way to remove oil is from the bottom. So add the half, drive 5 miles, then pull over on a level surface and while the car is idling tell the dipstick to remeasure, sometimes two remeasures will be needed. I only ever add a quarter-quart less than the car indicates, so if it says 3/4 to the top, I leave it alone.

Fwiw, I also typically lose a quarter of a quart per track day too.
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
mikeycamp28
Private
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central Jersey

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
So many oil threads all at once. Yes, needing a quart between oil changes even at 7500-mile intervals can happen, but just because it happened this time doesn't mean it'll always happen. My dealer just gives me a couple bottles when I'm low for free under Ultimate Service, so I keep them for topping up.

FYI though, when it says add a quart, start by adding only half. These electronic dipsticks are notoriously unreliable, and if you overfill the only way to remove oil is from the bottom. So add the half, drive 5 miles, then pull over on a level surface and while the car is idling tell the dipstick to remeasure, sometimes two remeasures will be needed. I only ever add a quarter-quart less than the car indicates, so if it says 3/4 to the top, I leave it alone.

Fwiw, I also typically lose a quarter of a quart per track day too.
your dealer gives you the quarts!!!!?? mine wouldn't give me any I had to pretty much bash them saying I pay for full service and I don't even get a top off of oil!
mikeycamp28 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,288
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycamp28 View Post
your dealer gives you the quarts!!!!?? mine wouldn't give me any I had to pretty much bash them saying I pay for full service and I don't even get a top off of oil!
Lol yeah, BMW of Austin is known to be one of the better dealers -- great service and absurd amenities, including an on-site movie theater complete with La-Z-Boys fed by a 500-disc Blu-ray player that they keep stocked with current and older titles for you to choose from while you wait. But yeah, each time the dipstick reading has dropped to the 1/4 mark, I call my SA and he says to drop by and then gives me 2 bottles so I don't have to come back a second time if needed. So most of one goes into the car right away, and I take the second one with me to the track just in case. He's done all kinds of other awesome things. For example, after one track weekend I had horrible steering vibration under braking for weeks afterward, and he arranged for me to get new pads and rotors (the car I think had 10K miles on it) under warranty/Ultimate Service even though I disclosed that it had happened after a track event (call me crazy, but I believe in being honest). And in recognition of the consistently above and beyond service he's provided, I brought him a bottle of JW Black Label for Christmas last year.
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 11-01-2013 at 10:04 AM.
jphughan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
mikeycamp28
Private
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central Jersey

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Lol yeah, BMW of Austin is known to be one of the better dealers -- great service and absurd amenities, including an on-site movie theater complete with La-Z-Boys fed by a 500-disc Blu-ray player that they keep stocked with current and older titles for you to choose from while you wait. But yeah, each time the dipstick reading has dropped to the 1/4 mark, I call my SA and he says to drop by and then gives me 2 bottles so I don't have to come back a second time if needed. So most of one goes into the car right away, and I take the second one with me to the track just in case. He's done all kinds of other awesome things. For example, after one track weekend I had horrible steering vibration under braking for weeks afterward, and he arranged for me to get new pads and rotors (the car I think had 10K miles on it) under warranty/Ultimate Service even though I disclosed that it had happened after a track event (call me crazy, but I believe in being honest). And in recognition of the consistently above and beyond service he's provided, I brought him a bottle of JW Black Label for Christmas last year.
yea man my dealer isn't like that what so ever!! wish i had that i would live at the dealer lol but you are lucky i pretty much told them how it was i walked in they said i had to pay 20$ for it and i said f that i pay this much money for this car I'm getting the oil no charge. he walked away came back with the oil that was it. my dealer in NJ isn't like your out in austin I'm jealous.
mikeycamp28 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
osteome
Major
 
osteome's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 SSII/Bamboo
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 1,095
iTrader: (4)

BMW of San Antonio (I know, I figure I would give them a chance) changed my oil for $108 with a coupon and provided a top off quart out of warranty. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised.
__________________
2009 M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo: 6MT, Tech, Premium, Cold, Premium Sound, Ipod, 19'' Wheels, OEM Exhaust Mod.
osteome is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
Patrón
Vader
 
Patrón's Avatar
 
Drives: Melbourne Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
BMW of San Antonio (I know, I figure I would give them a chance) changed my oil for $108 with a coupon and provided a top off quart out of warranty. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised.
Who is your service advisor?
Patrón is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
mikeycamp28
Private
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central Jersey

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
Who is your service advisor?
circle BMW of Eatontown NJ
mikeycamp28 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
osteome
Major
 
osteome's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 SSII/Bamboo
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 1,095
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
Who is your service advisor?
Sorry for the late response, as I am not on the boards as often as in the past.


My SA was Michael Brehm.
__________________
2009 M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo: 6MT, Tech, Premium, Cold, Premium Sound, Ipod, 19'' Wheels, OEM Exhaust Mod.
osteome is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
Patrón
Vader
 
Patrón's Avatar
 
Drives: Melbourne Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
Sorry for the late response, as I am not on the boards as often as in the past.


My SA was Michael Brehm.
Cool thanks.
Patrón is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
Andy_H_E92_M3
Private First Class
 
Andy_H_E92_M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NC

Posts: 153
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
FYI though, when it says add a quart, start by adding only half.
I concur.
Andy_H_E92_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST