BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
russm535il
New Member
United_States
1

 
Drives: Porsche 911 2006/ Audi A4 2013
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh,PA


Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Question M4 synthesized engine exhaust sounds !? Tell me it's NOT true !

Someone told me recently that to enhance the sound of the new M4 engine BMW pipes fake sounds through the radio speakers PLEASE tell me that this is not true.!

If this is correct info is a B M W sport OEM exhaust available for the M4?
I saw it on the website but was unsure if it was a standard part or an option ? If a sport exhaust is an option does anyone know if it be electronically controlled to offer a sport and also a quieter tone like my current factory supplied Porsche sport sounds exhaust

After 25 years of BMW's ( see my email address yes I did own a 1986 m535i gray mkt car It was fantastic!) I bought a 2006 911. 997 Silver Porsche coupe w sport seats Porsche sport exhaust and a 6 speed manual It is a beautiful car and has a timeless design but at age 60 it is not very comfortable for longer trips It only has 27k miles and is better than new but I am considering the idea of buying a M4
The Porsche engine has such a beautiful sound I would hope that the new M car would also sound great without any phony enhancements . That would really disappoint me If so a better option might be a slightly used E92 !
Russ DeJulio
Pittsburgh PA
Russm535il@aol.com
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
M3 Esq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
48

 
M3 Esq's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, 335i, X5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT


Posts: 1,946
iTrader: (5)

It is described as a reproduction of the actual engine noise sound transmitted through the cars audio system, but yes they pump the noise through the speakers. Google "BMW active sound" for more info.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
LarThaL
Colonel
123

 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA


Posts: 2,615
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russm535il View Post
Someone told me recently that to enhance the sound of the new M4 engine BMW pipes fake sounds through the radio speakers PLEASE tell me that this is not true.!

If this is correct info is a B M W sport OEM exhaust available for the M4?
I saw it on the website but was unsure if it was a standard part or an option ? If a sport exhaust is an option does anyone know if it be electronically controlled to offer a sport and also a quieter tone like my current factory supplied Porsche sport sounds exhaust

After 25 years of BMW's ( see my email address yes I did own a 1986 m535i gray mkt car It was fantastic!) I bought a 2006 911. 997 Silver Porsche coupe w sport seats Porsche sport exhaust and a 6 speed manual It is a beautiful car and has a timeless design but at age 60 it is not very comfortable for longer trips It only has 27k miles and is better than new but I am considering the idea of buying a M4
The Porsche engine has such a beautiful sound I would hope that the new M car would also sound great without any phony enhancements . That would really disappoint me If so a better option might be a slightly used E92 !
Russ DeJulio
Pittsburgh PA
Russm535il@aol.com
Everyone is doing this ( at least on certain models) to provide a nice exhaust sound for the driver but keep exterior noise levels down due to regulations. Porsche and Audi are doing it as well. Not sure about Mercedes. That said, it is the actual exhaust sound, just amplified and played through the audio system. No different than taking an acoustic guitar and playing it through an amp so it can be better heard. Just the times we live in. Anything related to the subjective enjoyment of driving is being castrated.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
34

 
edwinm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Doral


Posts: 1,915
iTrader: (8)

__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Major
19

 
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: B-roads


Posts: 1,119
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russm535il View Post
Someone told me recently that to enhance the sound of the new M4 engine BMW pipes fake sounds through the radio speakers PLEASE tell me that this is not true.!

If this is correct info is a B M W sport OEM exhaust available for the M4?
I saw it on the website but was unsure if it was a standard part or an option ? If a sport exhaust is an option does anyone know if it be electronically controlled to offer a sport and also a quieter tone like my current factory supplied Porsche sport sounds exhaust

After 25 years of BMW's ( see my email address yes I did own a 1986 m535i gray mkt car It was fantastic!) I bought a 2006 911. 997 Silver Porsche coupe w sport seats Porsche sport exhaust and a 6 speed manual It is a beautiful car and has a timeless design but at age 60 it is not very comfortable for longer trips It only has 27k miles and is better than new but I am considering the idea of buying a M4
The Porsche engine has such a beautiful sound I would hope that the new M car would also sound great without any phony enhancements . That would really disappoint me If so a better option might be a slightly used E92 !
Russ DeJulio
Pittsburgh PA
Russm535il@aol.com
The M4 pumps sound through, and no matter what they do it wont sound anywhere near as goof as the 911. Sounds like a 991 would be more suitible for you.
__________________
IPE/Gintani
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
Sapper_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
5

 
Sapper_M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Missouri


Posts: 575
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Quote:
Originally Posted by russm535il View Post
Someone told me recently that to enhance the sound of the new M4 engine BMW pipes fake sounds through the radio speakers PLEASE tell me that this is not true.!

If this is correct info is a B M W sport OEM exhaust available for the M4?
I saw it on the website but was unsure if it was a standard part or an option ? If a sport exhaust is an option does anyone know if it be electronically controlled to offer a sport and also a quieter tone like my current factory supplied Porsche sport sounds exhaust

After 25 years of BMW's ( see my email address yes I did own a 1986 m535i gray mkt car It was fantastic!) I bought a 2006 911. 997 Silver Porsche coupe w sport seats Porsche sport exhaust and a 6 speed manual It is a beautiful car and has a timeless design but at age 60 it is not very comfortable for longer trips It only has 27k miles and is better than new but I am considering the idea of buying a M4
The Porsche engine has such a beautiful sound I would hope that the new M car would also sound great without any phony enhancements . That would really disappoint me If so a better option might be a slightly used E92 !
Russ DeJulio
Pittsburgh PA
Russm535il@aol.com
Everyone is doing this ( at least on certain models) to provide a nice exhaust sound for the driver but keep exterior noise levels down due to regulations. Porsche and Audi are doing it as well. Not sure about Mercedes. That said, it is the actual exhaust sound, just amplified and played through the audio system. No different than taking an acoustic guitar and playing it through an amp so it can be better heard. Just the times we live in. Anything related to the subjective enjoyment of driving is being castrated.
I thought this was debunked a while ago. Haven't we since found out there is no microphone recording engine and/or exhaust sound in real time? My understanding is that the system turned out to be virtually identical to the M5 system that just plays pre-recorded engine/exhaust sounds.

EDIT: I just did a quick search through the F80/82 forums, and this thread seems to be the best source of info: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1033236. From that, I don't think the system is the same as the M5 system, but there is no microphone and the sound you're hearing is not being amplified from your engine or exhaust. It's a synthesized engine/exhaust note intended to enhance the sound you already hear from the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Major
19

 
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: B-roads


Posts: 1,119
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post
I thought this was debunked a while ago. Haven't we since found out there is no microphone recording engine and/or exhaust sound in real time? My understanding is that the system turned out to be virtually identical to the M5 system that just plays pre-recorded engine/exhaust sounds.

EDIT: I just did a quick search through the F80/82 forums, and this thread seems to be the best source of info: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1033236. From that, I don't think the system is the same as the M5 system, but there is no microphone and the sound you're hearing is not being amplified from your engine or exhaust. It's a synthesized engine/exhaust note intended to enhance the sound you already hear from the car.
This. Thats why the car sounds like a V8 inside and sounds like crap otherwise.
__________________
IPE/Gintani
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Vanmarsenille
In On The Kill Taker
United_States
6

 
Vanmarsenille's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E93 M3; 2010 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX


Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post
I thought this was debunked a while ago. Haven't we since found out there is no microphone recording engine and/or exhaust sound in real time? My understanding is that the system turned out to be virtually identical to the M5 system that just plays pre-recorded engine/exhaust sounds.

EDIT: I just did a quick search through the F80/82 forums, and this thread seems to be the best source of info: http://<a href="http://f80.bimmerpos...?t=1033236</a>. From that, I don't think the system is the same as the M5 system, but there is no microphone and the sound you're hearing is not being amplified from your engine or exhaust. It's a synthesized engine/exhaust note intended to enhance the sound you already hear from the car.
This. Thats why the car sounds like a V8 inside and sounds like crap otherwise.
Which is why, rather than pretending to have a V8, I am keeping my E9x, which actually has a V8.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
rjd598
Brigadier General
United_States
93

 
rjd598's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA


Posts: 4,620
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Get out troll
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
Belgium
88

 
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium


Posts: 3,815
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Get out troll
I believe him my friend !
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
Ezio
Colonel
United_States
44

 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI


Posts: 2,904
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanmarsenille View Post
Which is why, rather than pretending to have a V8, I am keeping my E9x, which actually has a V8.
sadly even the M V8 found in the M5 has active sound also.

gotta love turbos
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:42 AM   #12
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
Belgium
88

 
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium


Posts: 3,815
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
sadly even the M V8 found in the M5 has active sound also.

gotta love turbos
Strange thing is that the i8 sounds pretty good also outside the car !
Even more strange is that this is only a 3 cylinder engine from Mini and also with turbos ?
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #13
JRV
Captain
United_States
8

 
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bedford, NY


Posts: 602
iTrader: (1)

Sad day for gear heads when an audio has to play back your engine sound into cabin. At least pipe it in using lightweight material not some synthesized playback analyzing your RPMs and out through speakers. A turn off IMO and what I couldn't stand when I drive the M4. It's blatantly obvious.
__________________
'11 Black/Black GLK350 (Wife)
'04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 (My beater)
'11 Loaded AW Fox Red/Black/Black Carbon Leather ZCP E90 M3 (Halloween Delivery)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #14
tlrid3r
DISITRB
United_States
19

 
tlrid3r's Avatar
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Santa Clara, ca


Posts: 455
iTrader: (2)

Even more reason I'm glad to have the last honest M car.
__________________
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. Ohlins RT, Vorshlag plates, RD sways, Alekshop subframe bushings, Monoball, Adj. Toe link, Full Evo Akra, ESS tune, SSK.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST