BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source

05-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #1
landonvan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [5.00]
Help. Static from speakers

Ok so I have searched and searched. I hate when you find someone with the same issue as you have and they never post the fix.
So I have static that comes from my speakers. The radio will play over the static but it's always there. When I shut the car off it's more noticeable. Or when you open the door or pop the trunk.

I can unplug the fiber optics from the amp and it goes away. Plug it back in and you guessed it. It comes back. The same happens when you unplug the optics from the head unit.

Has anyone had this problem or know what the issue is.
And if I buy a new head unit. Do I have to code it and all that junk. There is not a bmw dealer near me to recode.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
landonvan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [5.00]
Really no one has ever had this issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 05:50 AM   #3
BGBF18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT

Any evidence of water pooling below the amp in the trunk? Often a clogged drain line or loose taillight will permit water to drain into the trunk space below the amp and is enough to cause the static. I had exactly the same issue. Once the amp was fully dried out and the taillight tightened, the problem never returned. If it doesn't clear, the amp is probably toast. I don't know if coding is required for a new one. Best of luck.

Last edited by BGBF18; 05-24-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
Redd
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I've had the exact same problem. Had to replace my amp.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
chucho1026
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 & e92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBF18 View Post
Any evidence of water pooling below the amp in the trunk? Often a clogged drain line or loose taillight will permit water to drain into the trunk space below the amp and is enough to cause the static. I had exactly the same issue. Once the amp was fully dried out and the taillight tightened, the problem never returned. If it doesn't clear, the amp is probably toast. I don't know if coding is required for a new one. Best of luck.
I went thru this. A tech loosened my light to fix a bulb and water got into the trunk. I got a lot of static until i realized what it was and dried up the water. now my front door speakers aren't working but I'm guessing it the amp. will have to bite the bullet soon and get a new one.
Appreciate 0