BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #111
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
172
Rep
12,977
Posts

 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
I beg to differ. My r8 v10 is insanely fast and will outhandle almosf any car on the road. This is coming from someone who's owned a gt3, modded m3, pdk carrera s and more.
I will agree with this. Especially in the rain. I had my ass handed to me at the track last time by one.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #112
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
I will agree with this. Especially in the rain. I had my ass handed to me at the track last time by one.
I couldn't believe what the car was capable of the first time I drove it in the rain. It's unreal.

It's phenomenal on dry roads as well, traded my 2010 gt3 for it and haven't regretted a single time. Overall there are very few cars if any that can perform like a gtr, gt3, Porsche turbo, but be comfortable enough to drive everyday. Best car I've ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #113
FormulaMMM
Major
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,435
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
I beg to differ. My r8 v10 is insanely fast and will outhandle almosf any car on the road. This is coming from someone who's owned a gt3, modded m3, pdk carrera s and more.
Through the turns it's damn close between the R8 V10 and M3, especially if the M3 has upgraded tires. On the straights it's not!

Disconnect the exhaust valve and throw a tubi on that thing
__________________
DCT E90 M3: Akrapovic Evolution, KW Clubsport, Stoptech ST-40 Front + Pagid RS29 | Stock Rear + Stoptech SP, Apex ARC-8 + Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 275/35/18 (street), Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 + Nitto NT01 275/35/18 (track), tbd...
Past: Velos Designwerks Tune, Megan Racing Catback, Macht Schnell Filter
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #114
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Through the turns it's damn close between the R8 V10 and M3, especially if the M3 has upgraded tires. On the straights it's not!

Disconnect the exhaust valve and throw a tubi on that thing
Your living in a fantasy world if you think an m3 can turn like an r8. Not even close. Mid engine all wheel drive, you can cut through corners carrying much more speed than you ever could in an m3.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #115
Ohh_5H1T
Captain
Ohh_5H1T's Avatar
22
Rep
720
Posts

 
Drives: Backwards
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Yonkers, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
I agree, the M3 is pretty much everything you'd really ever need, and if this would be the pinnacle of my automotive owner history I would complain either. However, I do believe that there are still a couple of cars that fit "between" the M3 and an exotic. Currently I'm looking at the new 991 models, and I think the upcoming GT3 or turbo will be cars you could still easily live with on a daily basis compared to any Ferrari or Lambo - especially when it comes to service and maintenance.
+1 on this. If you think about what it costs to own a 458 as suppose to a P car that can still give you comparable performance + DD practicality.... it doesnt even make any sense. In the OP's shoes... I'd consider P car all day! Would only ever consider Ferrari if i happen to acquire millions some day and can afford to have pricey garage furniture...in a nice house that correlates to the car.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #116
Ohh_5H1T
Captain
Ohh_5H1T's Avatar
22
Rep
720
Posts

 
Drives: Backwards
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Yonkers, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
eh i can outperform a 458 in my m3. did it last weekend. driver mod.
driver mod
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #117
FormulaMMM
Major
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,435
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
Your living in a fantasy world if you think an m3 can turn like an r8. Not even close. Mid engine all wheel drive, you can cut through corners carrying much more speed than you ever could in an m3.
Right. The blue R8 V10 in my signature pic -- I've been in 100+ lead-follow track sessions with it. With me leading I'm not slowing him down through the turns. With him leading he can't shake me through the turns. So like I said, through the turns it's close, especially with proper tires on the M3 (M3: RS3's, R8: PSS). Under braking it's very close, with perhaps an edge in braking stability to the M3. The R8 can get squirmy. On the straights it's not close.

My best lap time around our local track is 1:46.2, and his 1:46.3. And since I'm not keeping pace with him on the straights, I'm besting his pace elsewhere.

An outside reference point --

Edmunds Inside Line R8 V10 slalom: 70.7 mph
E90 M3 slalom: 71.8 mph

Sorry to report that at least in my experience through the twisties it's not quite the rout that you describe. Enjoy your fantastic car!
__________________
DCT E90 M3: Akrapovic Evolution, KW Clubsport, Stoptech ST-40 Front + Pagid RS29 | Stock Rear + Stoptech SP, Apex ARC-8 + Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 275/35/18 (street), Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 + Nitto NT01 275/35/18 (track), tbd...
Past: Velos Designwerks Tune, Megan Racing Catback, Macht Schnell Filter
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #118
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Right. The blue R8 V10 in my signature pic -- I've been in 100+ lead-follow track sessions with it. With me leading I'm not slowing him down through the turns. With him leading he can't shake me through the turns. So like I said, through the turns it's close, especially with proper tires on the M3 (M3: RS3's, R8: PSS). Under braking it's very close, with perhaps an edge in braking stability to the M3. The R8 can get squirmy. On the straights it's not close.

My best lap time around our local track is 1:46.2, and his 1:46.3. And since I'm not keeping pace with him on the straights, I'm besting his pace elsewhere.

An outside reference point --

Edmunds Inside Line R8 V10 slalom: 70.7 mph
E90 M3 slalom: 71.8 mph

Sorry to report that at least in my experience through the twisties it's not quite the rout that you describe. Enjoy your fantastic car!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #119
FormulaMMM
Major
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,435
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
Good point, good talk. You probably will find this data hilarious as well! Most sectors are within a whopping tenth of a second with the M3 actually edging the R8 through the esses. Now that's the kind of ass whoopin in the corners you're talking about, right? It's not even close. The R8 is UNREAL. Otherwordly cornering ability. Go tame that beast and don't forget your neck brace.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...he-results.pdf
__________________
DCT E90 M3: Akrapovic Evolution, KW Clubsport, Stoptech ST-40 Front + Pagid RS29 | Stock Rear + Stoptech SP, Apex ARC-8 + Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 275/35/18 (street), Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 + Nitto NT01 275/35/18 (track), tbd...
Past: Velos Designwerks Tune, Megan Racing Catback, Macht Schnell Filter
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #120
Vic311
Banned
United_States
17
Rep
1,469
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Good point, good talk.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #121
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Nice, but lets share a little bit more data shall we? Here we have a r8 4.2 v8 vs a e92 m3 a ton of tests on different tracks shows a very slight edge to the m3 in acceleration however the r8 manages to beat the m3 in a lot of cases by at least 2 or 3 seconds around almost 30 different tracks. Now I am very impressed that you can keep up with your buddy in his r8 maybe he's just toying with you or he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. I have both an m3 and an r8 and I drive them back to back all the time. The r8 simply has more grip and is the better balanced car. The v8 r8 will handily beat an m3 on almost any track by a significant margin, the v10 will absolutely demolish it.

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/a...mw_m3_e92.html

Last edited by KKM3; 12-23-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #122
Chriskm3
Colonel
Chriskm3's Avatar
Canada
28
Rep
2,218
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinzo View Post
M3 for the DD.

When the desire hits..... rent an exotic for a day or two or while on vacation in Las Vegas drive one around a track for a few laps.
Good point
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #123
FormulaMMM
Major
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,435
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
Nice, but lets share a little bit more data shall we? Here we have a r8 4.2 v8 vs a e92 m3 a ton of tests on different tracks shows a very slight edge to the m3 in acceleration however the r8 manages to beat the m3 in a lot of cases by at least 2 or 3 seconds around almost 30 different tracks. Now I am very impressed that you can keep up with your buddy in his r8 maybe he's just toying with you or he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. I have both an m3 and an r8 and I drive them back to back all the time. The r8 simply has more grip and is the better balanced car. The v8 r8 will handily beat an m3 on almost any track by a significant margin, the v10 will absolutely demolish it.

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/a...mw_m3_e92.html
Ok, I doubt that this is where OP wanted the thread to go, but since we're still loosely on subject.

Retrace our conversation. Focus like a laser beam buddy. I never said that the M3 is faster than an R8 (V8 or V10) on track. I also didn't say that the M3 is a superior handler. What I said is that it's very close through the turns, especially if the M3 has upgraded tires (RS3s, AD08s, or better). That was the extent of my claim. You think I'm in fantasy land because you drive them back to back and the R8 feels more balanced and planted, presumably daily driving on the roads of LA, which is no surprise. So you've had the R8 for how long? How many track sessions? How many lead-follow sessions with an E9X M3?

The lightning lap data posted above is the most relevant to our conversation because it shows sector times involving corners. Again, very close with an edge overall to the R8.

But the fastest laps data also demonstrates my point. With a 2-3 second gap (~1 second on many tracks) between the R8 V8 and the M3, you can begin to see why I say it's close in handling, especially if the M3 has sticky tires. And since the R8 V8 is actually a superior handling car due to less weight, my claim that it's CLOSE through the corners between the M3 and R8 V10 all of a sudden makes a whole lot of sense to you, right??

If you wanted to come on the forum and talk about how your car destroys M3s in the handling department you punched the wrong ticket fella. Should have kept your GT3, GTR, or went with a Lotus.
__________________
DCT E90 M3: Akrapovic Evolution, KW Clubsport, Stoptech ST-40 Front + Pagid RS29 | Stock Rear + Stoptech SP, Apex ARC-8 + Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 275/35/18 (street), Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 + Nitto NT01 275/35/18 (track), tbd...
Past: Velos Designwerks Tune, Megan Racing Catback, Macht Schnell Filter
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #124
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

I will just reply to your last paragraph as I really get tired typing on my iPhone and I really don't want to get into a discussion involving better tires as almost any car can significantly improve cornering with upgraded tires. The gt3 is regarded as one of the best handling cars on the planet, I think we can all agree on that right? I could carry similar speeds through turns with my r8 as I could with my michelin pilot sport cup equipped gt3. Now I'm not saying the m3 is a bad handling car. I have the car and I love it but from experience with both these cars on a day to day basis I have noticed that I can go through a turn much quicker in the r8 than I could in the m3 without losing grip. Ill leave it at that.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #125
FormulaMMM
Major
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,435
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
I will just reply to your last paragraph as I really get tired typing on my iPhone and I really don't want to get into a discussion involving better tires as almost any car can significantly improve cornering with upgraded tires. The gt3 is regarded as one of the best handling cars on the planet, I think we can all agree on that right? I could carry similar speeds through turns with my r8 as I could with my michelin pilot sport cup equipped gt3. Now I'm not saying the m3 is a bad handling car. I have the car and I love it but from experience with both these cars on a day to day basis I have noticed that I can go through a turn much quicker in the r8 than I could in the m3 without losing grip. Ill leave it at that.
Scientific stuff. So now you tell me that you don't want to have this discussion... We could have focused our attention elsewhere and you could have continued on pretending that the R8 and M3 really aren't close in terms of handling.

Have a good one man.
__________________
DCT E90 M3: Akrapovic Evolution, KW Clubsport, Stoptech ST-40 Front + Pagid RS29 | Stock Rear + Stoptech SP, Apex ARC-8 + Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 275/35/18 (street), Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 + Nitto NT01 275/35/18 (track), tbd...
Past: Velos Designwerks Tune, Megan Racing Catback, Macht Schnell Filter
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #126
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Yes exactly. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #127
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

I will also leave you with this link, maybe it will give you a newfound respect for the r8.

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #128
av2
Private
av2's Avatar
0
Rep
60
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.CAL

iTrader: (0)

Besides looking at the performance and driving excitement associated with exotic sports cars, they are also luxury items. Although you could, most Ferrari and Lamborghini owners do not use these cars as daily drivers. Just like a Patek watch, Hermes handbag or a 4 karat diamond ring that are usually kept in a safe for selected occasions or events. I am sure many people can "afford" an exotic sports car, but to truly enjoy the ownership experience, they should also be able to comfortably afford the lifestyle associated with it.
__________________

Current: E92 M3 DCT, Cayenne Turbo S, Ferrari F430 F1
Past:911 Turbo (996), C32 AMG, S2000, (E36) M3, Supra TT, MR2 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #129
s2kroma
First Lieutenant
United_States
6
Rep
340
Posts

 
Drives: a new car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago IL

iTrader: (0)

I guess there is a PROBLEM when you have wwwwwaaaaaay too much money and when you have no money. I would say just keep your M3 and keep the money.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #130
bing240sx
Lieutenant
6
Rep
405
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

I'm not so sure that it makes sense to try and apply logic (cost / benefit) to this subject. Using stats is irrelevant as well.

It's a lot like wines and watches. You're tipping your hat to the engineers, the visionary guys who came up with the ideas and didn't compromise quality for scale. The people who still craft mechanical art by hand.

You buy an exotic because you can. If you came into your ability to afford such a thing by putting the same passion and precision into whatever it is that you do then you pay it forward by paying too much money for something you don't really need and you do it with a smile.

And all your friends and enemies should do the same (if they can) and acknowledge it as such.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 02:31 AM   #131
mikal7
Private First Class
1
Rep
182
Posts

 
Drives: 128i / Rx7 Turbo
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx
I'm not so sure that it makes sense to try and apply logic (cost / benefit) to this subject. Using stats is irrelevant as well.

It's a lot like wines and watches. You're tipping your hat to the engineers, the visionary guys who came up with the ideas and didn't compromise quality for scale. The people who still craft mechanical art by hand.

You buy an exotic because you can. If you came into your ability to afford such a thing by putting the same passion and precision into whatever it is that you do then you pay it forward by paying too much money for something you don't really need and you do it with a smile.

And all your friends and enemies should do the same (if they can) and acknowledge it as such.
Like making china car parts for 240s? Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #132
sin911
First Lieutenant
sin911's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
306
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

I didn't go through the whole thread but here are my thoughts when it comes to exotics:

The size of the car is very important for your potential use. Any exotic you will get will be smaller than an M3, so if you're looking for a 4 seater your best bet would be a Porsche. There is also Ferrari 612 and the FF, Aston Martin DB9 with potential to sit 4.

Reliability is another issue you should address. Both Italian and British cars are delicate cars which may become an issue in cold winters and harsh conditions. Having a reliable car and a dealership close by where you live is an important aspect.

Performance, while the M3 is not a slow car, a Turbo or a 458 is on another level of speed. We're talking about cars with 0-60 in less than 3.5 seconds, and the needle keeps on climbing like nothing on the speedo. I'm not going to even discuss handling because on a legal road there is no way of coming close to the max handling of the M3 legally, let alone even a better car.

So here are my thoughts on the subject. If you're looking for something more exotic while being reliable, faster and still maintaining a functionality of fitting four people a Porsche may be more suitable for you
__________________
2013 E92 ///M3 Space Grey w/ Fox Red
M Performance Exhaust, KW Sleeve Over Kit, and cosmetic upgrades
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST