BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Heel & Toe Apparel
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
330indy
CCA member
330indy's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
1,251
Posts

Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

iTrader: (0)

just love that turbine sound....

of the S65.
Nothing else like it!
and I adore the underhood sound as much or more than the exhaust. It is the best surround sound ever.
And I'm in the sound business!
__________________
'13 e92 M3 ZCP 6sp, IB, Blk lthr, CL trim. No nav, No iDrive, ordered Munich
'02 e46 330i ZSP, 5sp, SG, Blk ette, Dinan stage 3, No nav, ordered Munich
'00 e37 Z3 2.3, 5sp, CB, Blk lthr, only 33k miles
'06 Z4M - sold. '01 530i - sold.
'94 325ic -sold. '93 318is - sold.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Longboarder
Major General
485
Rep
5,091
Posts

Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
?

My 911 Turbo S makes a sound on launch control when the turbos are fully spooled at 4K rpm with the brake on. It's a very similar sound to that of a leer jet on take off when the jet engines are spooling up and the pilot still has the brake still on.

I agree that the M3 engine/exhaust sounds great but I can't hear a "turbine sound" anywhere at all.

Can you elaborate please?
__________________
Daily #1: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS 650 / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Daily #2: 2015 991 Turbo S White with Gloss Black Aerokit / GIAC
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / GIAC FBO / GMG suspension build
Beaterz: 2013 X5 3.5 Sport, 2015 Wrangler Unlimited
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
jphughan
Brigadier General
jphughan's Avatar
United_States
315
Rep
4,439
Posts

Drives: '16 Cayman GT4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Pretty sure OP means intake/induction sound, which you hear far more than exhaust from inside the cabin -- it's just not FORCED induction.
__________________
'16 Cayman GT4 (delivery pics, comparison to E92 M3 write-up)

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
Longboarder
Major General
485
Rep
5,091
Posts

Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Pretty sure OP means intake/induction sound, which you hear far more than exhaust from inside the cabin -- it's just not FORCED induction.
But he said "turbine". The intake/induction doesn't sounds like a turbine at all. Unless I'm deaf. And crazy.

Here's what turbine engines sound like:

__________________
Daily #1: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS 650 / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Daily #2: 2015 991 Turbo S White with Gloss Black Aerokit / GIAC
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / GIAC FBO / GMG suspension build
Beaterz: 2013 X5 3.5 Sport, 2015 Wrangler Unlimited
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Candide13
Lieutenant
Candide13's Avatar
41
Rep
469
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
of the S65.
Nothing else like it!
and I adore the underhood sound as much or more than the exhaust. It is the best surround sound ever.
And I'm in the sound business!
Totally know what you mean! First time I heard that sound with the windows down I got goosebumps, never heard the sound before outside video games...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Ezio
Brigadier General
Ezio's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
3,823
Posts

Drives: 2015 Z51 c7
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

turbine wrong word.

but the S65 is a great sounding engine. one of the best engine sound of all time with BMW.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
JoeKixxon
Captain
JoeKixxon's Avatar
United_States
294
Rep
638
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
turbine wrong word.

but the S65 is a great sounding engine. one of the best engine sound of all time with BMW.
Agreed!! And the sound doesn't even come from the speakers!

too soon?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
yoelev
First Lieutenant
yoelev's Avatar
8
Rep
366
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

i ripped my MPE out and will stay away from superchargers because what i really love is the sound of that engine. it's amazing. the carbon intake increases the WIN
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
L4ces
Captain
L4ces's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
879
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ - NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder
?

My 911 Turbo S makes a sound on launch control when the turbos are fully spooled at 4K rpm with the brake on. It's a very similar sound to that of a leer jet on take off when the jet engines are spooling up and the pilot still has the brake still on.

I agree that the M3 engine/exhaust sounds great but I can't hear a "turbine sound" anywhere at all.

Can you elaborate please?
Yeah there is really a sweet turbine sound. Sounds like a whine. I haven't heard it since I added a louder exhaust. I miss it too.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
Transfer
Colonel
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
227
Rep
2,368
Posts

Drives: M235xi, SQ5
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Any "turbine" sound on a stock M3 is the transmission whine. Yes it does sound good and greatly complements the aggressive induction sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
roastbeef
Brigadier General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
461
Rep
3,028
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

The whine and induction sound is fantastic.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #12
Denk
Colonel
Denk's Avatar
United_States
217
Rep
2,589
Posts

Drives: e92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PNW

iTrader: (2)

My sis and her friend (both flight attendants) tell me that my M3 sometimes sounds like a jet taxiing. It does have some whine action happening, luv it!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #13
Ezio
Brigadier General
Ezio's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
3,823
Posts

Drives: 2015 Z51 c7
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Any "turbine" sound on a stock M3 is the transmission whine. Yes it does sound good and greatly complements the aggressive induction sound.
that wine sound i hear at low speeds is the tranny ? really ?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 03:17 AM   #14
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
61
Rep
708
Posts

Drives: 135is :) 192/586
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: LA, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKixxon View Post
Agreed!! And the sound doesn't even come from the speakers!

too soon?
Lol yeah but I was thinking the same thing. Apply some butthurt guard to ward them off.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #15
330indy
CCA member
330indy's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
1,251
Posts

Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

iTrader: (0)

I said turbine and I meant turbine. ;-)
I've owned a tuned turbo car.
This S65 is high strung and the engine sound alone (not the freakin tranny) is extraordinary esp considering it's NA.
It has a whirring, "unleash me, please" sound to it.
It is almost an electric whirring generator sound on top of the internal combustion sound.
Hard to describe...
But just addictive.
It sold me on the car and this will be a long termer.
__________________
'13 e92 M3 ZCP 6sp, IB, Blk lthr, CL trim. No nav, No iDrive, ordered Munich
'02 e46 330i ZSP, 5sp, SG, Blk ette, Dinan stage 3, No nav, ordered Munich
'00 e37 Z3 2.3, 5sp, CB, Blk lthr, only 33k miles
'06 Z4M - sold. '01 530i - sold.
'94 325ic -sold. '93 318is - sold.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
Candide13
Lieutenant
Candide13's Avatar
41
Rep
469
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
I said turbine and I meant turbine. ;-)
I've owned a tuned turbo car.
This S65 is high strung and the engine sound alone (not the freakin tranny) is extraordinary esp considering it's NA.
It has a whirring, "unleash me, please" sound to it.
It is almost an electric whirring generator sound on top of the internal combustion sound.
Hard to describe...
But just addictive.
It sold me on the car and this will be a long termer.
Yes, the S65 sucks, but in a good way...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
jwhhjr
Private First Class
jwhhjr's Avatar
1
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: 2013 Melbourne Red M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fremont, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13 View Post
Yes, the S65 sucks, but in a good way...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST