BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
lockeed
Private First Class
lockeed's Avatar
2
Rep
188
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 6MT Alpine
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (0)

"audio" experience upgrade for a virgin!

OK - I just took delivery of my 08' M3 Sedan 6MT this past friday.

I plan on keeping the car 100% stock appart for very minor tweeks here and there.

Only one thing I'd like to improve on is the exhaust note. What would be the cheapest and most economical way of improving the exhaust note? I don't want something too loud or something that sound like a 68 chevy 454... just a more throaty exhaust sound...

Two things I want to keep:

1) discreet sound at cruising speed

2) stock look & keep the stock quad exhaust

Any suggestion for an exhaust virgin?
__________________
___________________________________
08' M3 Sedan 6MT // Alpine on Black Novillo
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
RBB
First Lieutenant
RBB's Avatar
5
Rep
344
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (10)

I'd go with test pipes or an x pipe before I played around with the rear section. Gives the car a much rawer sound to it with the added benefit of increased HP. That'll also keep your rear section looking stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
kitw
Colonel
kitw's Avatar
60
Rep
2,628
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockeed View Post
OK - I just took delivery of my 08' M3 Sedan 6MT this past friday.

I plan on keeping the car 100% stock appart for very minor tweeks here and there.

Only one thing I'd like to improve on is the exhaust note. What would be the cheapest and most economical way of improving the exhaust note? I don't want something too loud or something that sound like a 68 chevy 454... just a more throaty exhaust sound...

Two things I want to keep:

1) discreet sound at cruising speed

2) stock look & keep the stock quad exhaust

Any suggestion for an exhaust virgin?
Megan racing exhaust. ~$500-$550.

Won't make more power but sounds nice and pairs very well with Test pipes and a tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
urBan_dK
First Lieutenant
urBan_dK's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
366
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mill Creek, WA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
OEM Exhaust mod, test pipes, or both. Both gets very loud outside the car (though still civil inside)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
lockeed
Private First Class
lockeed's Avatar
2
Rep
188
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 6MT Alpine
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Just to be 100% sure, OEM exhaust mod is the one where you remove the perforated sections inside the rear muffler and replace them with regular?

And who produce good quality test pipe? Any need to re-code after cats removal?

Sorry, I haven't played with 1970+ car exhaust till now!!
__________________
___________________________________
08' M3 Sedan 6MT // Alpine on Black Novillo
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
gatorfast
Colonel
gatorfast's Avatar
32
Rep
2,659
Posts

 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (3)

OEM exhaust mod fits your requirements to a T. Do some research on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
RBB
First Lieutenant
RBB's Avatar
5
Rep
344
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockeed View Post
Just to be 100% sure, OEM exhaust mod is the one where you remove the perforated sections inside the rear muffler and replace them with regular?

And who produce good quality test pipe? Any need to re-code after cats removal?

Sorry, I haven't played with 1970+ car exhaust till now!!
Removal of the primary cats will throw a CEL. You'll need a tune, or at the very least, an Akra Delete-R to take care of it. Turner and Macht Schnell make quality test pipes.

Just do a search for the OEM exhaust mod....there are two variations that have been discussed plenty on here.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
lockeed
Private First Class
lockeed's Avatar
2
Rep
188
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 6MT Alpine
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Thx for the suggestions, I'll look at all of them.

I already see that there's more than one way of doing the OEM exhaust mod... Is there one that's been prooven simpler?
__________________
___________________________________
08' M3 Sedan 6MT // Alpine on Black Novillo
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
66
Rep
3,914
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockeed View Post
Thx for the suggestions, I'll look at all of them.

I already see that there's more than one way of doing the OEM exhaust mod... Is there one that's been prooven simpler?
This is all you need...here you go v v v pics,video,DIY thumbsup:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
peeti
Second Lieutenant
peeti's Avatar
3
Rep
232
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 e90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (1)

test pipes = discrete at cruise? huh?

I'm biased as this is what I have, but Akra Evo all the way. Loud as hell when you stomp it, cruising sound disappears. Always gets a nod from people who appreciate cars (regardless of BMW fandom).
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
lockeed
Private First Class
lockeed's Avatar
2
Rep
188
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 6MT Alpine
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Akra Evo = expensive + I loose the stock tailpipe

Like the sound though...
__________________
___________________________________
08' M3 Sedan 6MT // Alpine on Black Novillo
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
Chriskm3
Colonel
Chriskm3's Avatar
Canada
28
Rep
2,218
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
I'd go with test pipes or an x pipe before I played around with the rear section. Gives the car a much rawer sound to it with the added benefit of increased HP. That'll also keep your rear section looking stock.
At the same time sets off the cel and provides a smell with failed Emmisions.
How about a 250 dollar acm exhaust mod.
__________________
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
lockeed
Private First Class
lockeed's Avatar
2
Rep
188
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 6MT Alpine
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (0)

I tried to look at the ECM mod, plenty of videos, but couldn't find any details of the mod...
__________________
___________________________________
08' M3 Sedan 6MT // Alpine on Black Novillo
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST