BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
BMW-RaceR
Private
 
Drives: 2010 Mini Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Norway

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

If you were in charge of BMWs 2015 lineup, how would it look?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Just for the fun of it. Lets say you could redesign the whole range and just forget about how the range looks like now. And you could have all your cars out already in 2015. (we are dreaming here, okay!)
How would the range look?
How would a single car be?

Plan the whole range, or just describe your favorite car in more detail.
This is the thread where you could dream about being in charge and making perfect driving machines!
BMW-RaceR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
hks786
Major General
 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 5,351
iTrader: (0)

I'd cut a lot of these confusing models such as 3GT 4GC etc. Ordering a BMW used to be simple but now there are so many models that overlap.
__________________
hks786 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
cuiter23
Major
 
cuiter23's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 328i ZSP
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 1,036
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
I'd cut a lot of these confusing models such as 3GT 4GC etc. Ordering a BMW used to be simple but now there are so many models that overlap.
+++
__________________
2007 E90 328i - Titanium Metallic l 19" VMR V710 l H&R Trak+ Spacers l Mtech Rear Lip Spoiler l Hamann Front Lip l Eibach Sportline l AA N52 Signature Exhaust l OEM Blacklines l MTEC V3 AE l 6000K HID l Nokya 7000K Fogs l MTEC License Plate LED l Interior LED l 15% Tint l BlackVue DR380G-HD + PMP
cuiter23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
GiorgioIr
335
 
GiorgioIr's Avatar
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2012
Location: x

Posts: 288
iTrader: (0)

all models look alike now... in the past you didnt see that similarity between models, but the new ones share the same characteristics.. for example, f30 tails are kinda identical to f10 tails..
and like hks786 said, there are too many models now.
series 1, coupe/hatchback/m/cabriolet.
series 2 is soon to be released as i heard.
series 3 would be the sedan 3series (f30)wagon/sedan/gt/m.
series 4 would be the coupe 3 series (f30) coupe/m/cabriolet.
series 5 has gt/sedan/wagon/m.
series 6 has coupe/sedan/M/cabriolet.
series 7 would be sedan.
x1 standard.
x3 standard.
x5 m and nonm.
x6 m and nonm.

27 models lol, im sure i missed a few
__________________

Too much mods to list..
GiorgioIr is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
Rac427
Registered
 
Drives: E93
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: State college, PA

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

I'll definitely put the ! series hatchback in
Rac427 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
BMW-RaceR
Private
 
Drives: 2010 Mini Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Norway

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioIr View Post
all models look alike now... in the past you didnt see that similarity between models, but the new ones share the same characteristics.. for example, f30 tails are kinda identical to f10 tails..
and like hks786 said, there are too many models now.
series 1, coupe/hatchback/m/cabriolet.
series 2 is soon to be released as i heard.
series 3 would be the sedan 3series (f30)wagon/sedan/gt/m.
series 4 would be the coupe 3 series (f30) coupe/m/cabriolet.
series 5 has gt/sedan/wagon/m.
series 6 has coupe/sedan/M/cabriolet.
series 7 would be sedan.
x1 standard.
x3 standard.
x5 m and nonm.
x6 m and nonm.

27 models lol, im sure i missed a few
Yupp, you forgot Z-series. Which is basically just the Z4.
And you could call the Hybids for a series carmodel like the the "M" cars.
And the electric "I" cars will have their own series in the future.
Maybe the upcoming FWD cars will have their own type of series as well. "BMW urbanic.."
BMW-RaceR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 03:00 AM   #7
BMW-RaceR
Private
 
Drives: 2010 Mini Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Norway

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

This is what I would do and make!
Z-car lineup is almost empty. I would add 3 sporty cars so that BMW would not loose all their hard earned sporty reputation when launching future FWD cars, and making bigger and duller cars in general.

Z1, rwd convertible and coupe.The premium MX5 with several engine options and the featherweight version of the Z4. (Could share many parts with the Z2) Under 1050kg with many options. 3-cylinder engines. This car should be tiny and RWD.

Z2
Sporty 2+2 hatchback style «coupe» with a tiny trunk and 2 doors.
Why the tiny trunk? Because normal people should be able to sit in the back. You could fold down the back seats if you wanted more space in the trunk. The BMW design would be inspired by the old Z3/Z4 Coupes,Ferrari FF and the GT86 hatchback render i have posted beneth here.
1210kg-1300kg, depending on engine and options. Good option of 3-cylinder 1,5L engines only. 110hp-220hp in normal versions.
Extra powerful and rev happy M-version with 270HP and forged internals.
«Stripped out» CSL version with 280+ HP and below 1200kg.
Sport seats standard. Lightweight supersports seats as an option (from the CSL version)
"SuperSport" brakes as an option on low powered cars (brakes from M/CSL version)

(Picture is fan-art)


Z4 Like today – Luxury GT Convertible

Z5 «Sporty «Supra style car.» (Collaboration with Toyota, there are rumors about this)
Maybe with a targa roof? 2+2, triturbo straight six.


1-series F20/F20 facelift
With some of the same design as the 2-series GC render. Continue with hatcback and not mess up the 1-series..

Other stuff:
-Torsen or cluch-pack LSD as an option for all vehicles! (and the ability disable E-diff)
-Sensitive hydraulic steering as an option when chosing M-package. (if easily possible)
-Sensitive hydraulic steering standard in all Z and (non X) M vehicles.
-Manual transmission as an option for all vehicles!
-Good looking Alcantara sport seats as an option for all vehicles.
-More wheel and tire options.

New «X-drive SPORT» AWD system
Adjustable center-diff from the iDrive meny,70:30 to 10:90 ratio (front:rear).
4 present modes where active dampers are optimized to the drivetrain ratio for best possible handling.
1- Permanent front bias of 70:30
2 -Normal X-drive (default setting)
3- Permanent rear bias of 30-70
4- Permanent rear bias of 15-85

(Options to combine with mechanical LSDs)
That should make make some Audi fans get wet in their mouth, but also be an attractive options for typical BMW enthusiasts.

Last edited by BMW-RaceR; 10-31-2012 at 03:09 AM.
BMW-RaceR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 03:49 AM   #8
GiorgioIr
335
 
GiorgioIr's Avatar
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2012
Location: x

Posts: 288
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-RaceR View Post
This is what I would do and make!
Z-car lineup is almost empty. I would add 3 sporty cars so that BMW would not loose all their hard earned sporty reputation when launching future FWD cars, and making bigger and duller cars in general.

Z1, rwd convertible and coupe.The premium MX5 with several engine options and the featherweight version of the Z4. (Could share many parts with the Z2) Under 1050kg with many options. 3-cylinder engines. This car should be tiny and RWD.

Z2
Sporty 2+2 hatchback style «coupe» with a tiny trunk and 2 doors.
Why the tiny trunk? Because normal people should be able to sit in the back. You could fold down the back seats if you wanted more space in the trunk. The BMW design would be inspired by the old Z3/Z4 Coupes,Ferrari FF and the GT86 hatchback render i have posted beneth here.
1210kg-1300kg, depending on engine and options. Good option of 3-cylinder 1,5L engines only. 110hp-220hp in normal versions.
Extra powerful and rev happy M-version with 270HP and forged internals.
«Stripped out» CSL version with 280+ HP and below 1200kg.
Sport seats standard. Lightweight supersports seats as an option (from the CSL version)
"SuperSport" brakes as an option on low powered cars (brakes from M/CSL version)

(Picture is fan-art)


Z4 Like today – Luxury GT Convertible

Z5 «Sporty «Supra style car.» (Collaboration with Toyota, there are rumors about this)
Maybe with a targa roof? 2+2, triturbo straight six.


1-series F20/F20 facelift
With some of the same design as the 2-series GC render. Continue with hatcback and not mess up the 1-series..

Other stuff:
-Torsen or cluch-pack LSD as an option for all vehicles! (and the ability disable E-diff)
-Sensitive hydraulic steering as an option when chosing M-package. (if easily possible)
-Sensitive hydraulic steering standard in all Z and (non X) M vehicles.
-Manual transmission as an option for all vehicles!
-Good looking Alcantara sport seats as an option for all vehicles.
-More wheel and tire options.

New «X-drive SPORT» AWD system
Adjustable center-diff from the iDrive meny,70:30 to 10:90 ratio (front:rear).
4 present modes where active dampers are optimized to the drivetrain ratio for best possible handling.
1- Permanent front bias of 70:30
2 -Normal X-drive (default setting)
3- Permanent rear bias of 30-70
4- Permanent rear bias of 15-85

(Options to combine with mechanical LSDs)
That should make make some Audi fans get wet in their mouth, but also be an attractive options for typical BMW enthusiasts.
*LSDs arent supposed to go on non M cars. this is the way BMW is ever since they built the e36. Its part of their marketing scheme to increase the performance value of the m cars. for ex: BMW: "In this non m, its hard to drift since you got no lsd and no big deal of power, but however, with the M3, you got power AND an LSD which makes the drifting as easy as pie" -> customer "Oh ill go with m3"
*Sensible hydrolic steering wheel shouldn't be on sports car. because sports car should handle well on high speeds, this is why BMWs got a hard steering wheel and mercs have a steering wheel that you could turn with your pinky finger (I've tried it with ouR s550)
*Manual transmission as an option for all vehicles! win.
*Good looking Alcantara sport seats as an option for all vehicles. win. but arent performance seats just that? you can install them in virtually any bmw..
*More wheel and tire options. win. But I doubt for the tires since Bmw only deals with just 1 brand..
*Z2 idea is win on the performance side, but i wouldent use that design for those reasons:

I dig the ideas and the models, but those pics you posted make BMWs look like Toyotas (hatch looks like the new toyota 86) and other jap cars. IMO BMW and other German cars have their own German identity in the design, this is why I love BMW in the first place, especially when that German design is accompanied by an excellent German engineering and a powerfull engine.
Recently, despite the similarities between models, I would still go with BMW as a next car. the f10 m5 is making a killing, the f30 m3 and m4 should be superb, i dig the x6 and the x5 especially M versions.

*There's something I wanna add: BMWs are said to outshine everything in the twisties.. so I want my E46 steering feeling back. You know, when tackling corners, I feel that something is weird with my steering. I've driven 3 E9xs and they all feel like that. E46 steering is far more superior..
*In the interior, Id want a pocket in the center console where I could put my wallet and cellphone, since they tend to fall all over the car right now.
*Id ditch the safety belt holder whatever its called since it aint doing its job properly.
*Id bring back E46 coupe style rear windows that open sideways, I loved those
*Id ditch the popping cup holders unless they are reallocated to somewhere logical: the driver side cup-holder in the E9x is just an accident waiting to happen especially if you got a passenger with long legs beside you, every time he moves his legs upward, which are DIRECTLY under the freakin cup-holder, they'd hit the bottle and the bottle would pop out and cause spillage in the bay. Happened to me and several friends I don't use them ever since lol
That's about everything I can think about now..
__________________

Too much mods to list..
GiorgioIr is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 05:25 AM   #9
BMW-RaceR
Private
 
Drives: 2010 Mini Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Norway

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioIr View Post
I dig the ideas and the models, but those pics you posted make BMWs look like Toyotas (hatch looks like the new toyota 86) and other jap cars. IMO BMW and other German cars have their own German identity in the design, this is why I love BMW in the first place, especially when that German design is accompanied by an excellent German engineering and a powerfull engine.
Recently, despite the similarities between models, I would still go with BMW as a next car. the f10 m5 is making a killing, the f30 m3 and m4 should be superb, i dig the x6 and the x5 especially M versions.
Thanks for the reply!

The hatcback render is based on the GT86, so that is the reason it looks like a Toyota. It basically is. (I found it on the internet a long time ago and liked the concept)
BMW would of course have more of Z3/Z4 Coupe design.

The Z5 render I found probably have some more japanese line due to its potential collaboration with Toyota.
Personally I don't mind, as long as it looks good, and looks like a BMW in the front.

Im not sure about the Z1 since the new MX5 and Alfa spider will launch around 2015. Those two cars will probably take much of that market.
But if they already have most parts on the Z2 it might not be that expensive to make and up-market sporty lightweight 2 seater.
In general i think BMW needs some proper lighter sports cars. Getting back to some of the E30 roots. With the introduction of 3-cylinder engines and the focus on lower emissions lightweight cars is the way to go. And its a great way to make good sport cars.
BMW already have enough of the big heavy high HP cars..

If they managed to make electric steering with good feedback it would be great. But it seems it has gotten worse for every generation lately..
Porsches and M-cars have had good and sensitive hydraulic steering for ages, and high speed have not been a problem.
Just give me more steering feel and I would be happy no matter how they do it. Just don't sharpen up the weight of the wheel without adding steering feel. Heavy resistance does not equal sporty steering feel, its just heavier...
What is considered very good feeback from an electric system is what I consider mediocre. I should be satisfied in an "ultimate driving machine".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioIr View Post
*LSDs arent supposed to go on non M cars. this is the way BMW is ever since they built the e36. Its part of their marketing scheme to increase the performance value of the m cars. for ex: BMW: "In this non m, its hard to drift since you got no lsd and no big deal of power, but however, with the M3, you got power AND an LSD which makes the drifting as easy as pie" -> customer "Oh ill go with m3"
I think that stopping with LSDs after the E36 was a big mistake. LSDs worked great on all low powered cars back then. E36 318is etc and generally all cars.
You don't need 300+hp to enjoy an LSD. You only need wet pavement or snow to highly benefit from it! E-diff is just not the same... Not in a premium ultimate driving machine. It should offer the real deal.
In several EU countries high HP taxes, high CO2 emission taxes, displacement taxes etc can make cars expensive.. M5 costs 270.000 EURO+++ in Norway due to HP and CO2. Only affordable new for the extremly rich. (some countries are worse than other. My example is from Norway, one of the worse)

Not having and LSD in a non M model is like admitting that it is better for performance and driving experince. "But we will make our cheaper models less good. So that people will buy the most expensive cars" Thing is, customers who cant afford M-cars can easily be lost that way...
BMW is the ultimate driving machine. That message should go through the whole line-up in my opinion.. Not just the M-cars.
Yes, they would loose some sales on M-cars. But, they would gain many more sales on non M-cars. Both from new customers from other brands and also by keeping customers. (They lost me twice. Or once, I bought a Cooper S the second time) They would also make profit on the LSD. And they would keep their sporty brand strong.
Lots if reasons to have it as an option for those who are willing to pay for it.

Adding say a TorSen LSD as an option to the non-M cars would still differentiate those models from the M cars since they have a more sophisticated LSD...
BMW-RaceR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
Freon
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indianapolis

Posts: 857
iTrader: (2)

Bring the 1 series 5 door to the states.
__________________
2009 BMW 135i 6MT Sport, AFE intake, Cobb AP, Apex 18x8.5+9.5, 255/275 PSS
Freon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #11
DarthBimmer
Private
 
DarthBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 328i sedan
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)

I'd make sure every car came with Xenons and Learher standard.
DarthBimmer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST