BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source

11-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #23
FogCityM3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: M3 (E90)

At WOT, the engine acts as a vacuum, drawing air from the top hood vent, which suggests the more air gets in there, the better. Don't see how more pressurized and cooler air from the front scoops can be harmful and is probably a net benefit. Maybe gains a couple HP or allows for better/more consistent engine performance the hotter it gets, maybe there is no measurable gain. Highly doubt that there are any drawbacks to allowing more/cooler air to get into the engine, but would probably need to have a high flow filter to see anything. I know of at least one respected software tuner (who doesn't sell/market scoops) who believes there is actually a very modest gain at higher speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStar View Post
I think anyone who understand the basics of these cars, knows that this is the biggest marketing gimmick since marketing gimmicks..I respect people who install them for the "look" but anyone thinking it makes one shred of difference in performance is totally out of touch.

The M3 is already porting cool air from 3 locations, the lower front bumper, behind the kidney grills and the driver's hood vent..I suspect these could even add turbulence that would disrupt the normal air flow..either way ..they dont add any performance.

Last edited by FogCityM3; 11-04-2012 at 11:09 PM.
      11-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
LarThaL
Colonel

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veegie View Post
We all know this is complete BS. Oh and BTW, it is easy for any manufacturer to claim a "6-10" hp gain for anything because you can't ever actually prove it. That amount of hp is within the normal variation of any kind of dyno testing. You'd have to test like 2000 identical cars under absolutely identical conditions to show a statistically significant gain of that little magnitude.

11-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #25
Veegie
Private

Drives: Alpine White E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
We all know this is complete BS. Oh and BTW, it is easy for any manufacturer to claim a "6-10" hp gain for anything because you can't ever actually prove it. That amount of hp is within the normal variation of any kind of dyno testing. You'd have to test like 2000 identical cars under absolutely identical conditions to show a statistically significant gain of that little magnitude.
But isn't claiming to know what testing conditions they used to state that figure just as disingenuous?
Unless you work at RPi or have done the independent studies that you have described yourself, I don't think you have any more of a right to claim they're incorrect without providing any evidence of your own that would imply a systematic contradiction.
      11-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #26
roastbeef
Captain

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I think anyone who understand the basics of these cars, knows that this is the biggest marketing gimmick since marketing gimmicks..I respect people who install them for the "look" but anyone thinking it makes one shred of difference in performance is totally out of touch.

The M3 is already porting cool air from 3 locations, the lower front bumper, behind the kidney grills and the driver's hood vent..I suspect these could even add turbulence that would disrupt the normal air flow..either way ..they dont add any performance.
i agree. the stock box seems very efficient already. the only change i would make is maybe the elbow into the intake manifold and a larger filter, or a higher flowing filter.
      11-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #27
brado
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:

I dont think that these are a "gimmick", they are only improving the efficiency of the ports behind the kidney grills. Which you even mentioned in your post.

In all honesty if scoops did not work bmw wouldnt have put the one in the bumper, why they didnt do it for the upper bumper, well you got me there.

The concept still remains though, the more cold air available to the engine the more power. And as it sits the only part of the intake that forces air in is the lower bumper, the other two sources rely on suction. This makes it so 2/3 sources are forcing air into the chamber. Just my thoughts though