BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
E92_SID
Brigadier General
 
E92_SID's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO. USA

Posts: 3,022
iTrader: (2)

E9X M3 vs Evo 8 MR

Alright guys, I have had my M for less than 3 days at work and already I am hearing it from the 3 guys at my office who all drive the same color Evo's. They think just because it has AWD that it will take the M . ANYWAY, I thought this had to have been covered before on here but I cant find it. A matter of fact, I can find any E9X M3 Vs Evo comparisons anywhere. I tell them its just because the Stock Evo is not even in the same class to be tested against the M. So, help me out here with some office ammo!
__________________
2011/E92/M3/MR/BB/ZCV/ZP2/EDC/2MT
E92_SID is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

I used to own an Evo 8.

Stock Evos are no way faster than the M on a road course, autocross course (depending on the course), or straight line.

If you modified an Evo 8 to exactly the same WHP as the M, the Evo 8 would be faster b/c of the AWD. With AWD, you can come out of a dig quicker with more traction and also coming out of slow corners, it can get on the power earlier, and since the weight is less than the M, and having the same HP after tuning, it logically would be faster.

But again, we're getting into the discussion that you can make anything faster than any other car with tuning...you know the: "my turbo 1984 Ford Fiesta is making 400 whp can run faster than your M" discussion. Which is ridiculous to discuss.

However, I feel you can safely tune more power into the Evo 8 than the E9X M. I never would forget my old Evo, it was some of the best driving times I've ever had my life. The Evo 8/9 is a fantastic raw and balanced performance car.

I sold the Evo for the M b/c I wanted more refinement and more power (stock vs. stock)

Last edited by mdosu; 12-15-2010 at 05:02 PM.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
FStop7
I like cars
 
FStop7's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

Posts: 5,059
iTrader: (3)

Are their cars stock or modified?

If stock you will destroy them.

If modified they will probably destroy you right back.
FStop7 is offline   Vatican City State
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2010, 04:34 AM   #4
Onurleft
Captain
 
Onurleft's Avatar
 
Drives: RPM
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Baton Rouge and Atlanta

Posts: 862
iTrader: (0)

Evo's have a pretty horrible drag at speed. Even if modified they need lots of power to run in the triple digits. However, with simple bolt on's and methanol they can go 350-400awhp.

To give you an idea of stock for stock ...

after 1520 ft my buddies E92 M went 111mph and my friends stock Evo 9 SE went 100mph
The Evo achieved a 1.8 60ft time, while the M3 managed a 2.0.

The Evo has a simple grip advantage off the line but in all honesty is much slower even than an E46 M3 once rolling
__________________
Onurleft is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
E92_SID
Brigadier General
 
E92_SID's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO. USA

Posts: 3,022
iTrader: (2)

Their EVO are all stock with the exception of exhaust.
__________________
2011/E92/M3/MR/BB/ZCV/ZP2/EDC/2MT
E92_SID is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

^you'll roll them. If you want a lopsided win, you should offer to do a 30mph rolling pull.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
NYC 135i
Second Lieutenant
 
NYC 135i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BSM 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Staten Island, NY

Posts: 257
iTrader: (2)

i used to have an evo 9 modded they will definitely give an m3 a run for its money..mine had ~400WHP and i pulled on an m3 from a roll...i still would take an e92 m3 any day over an evo. As for stock vs. stock the dig will still be fairly close with the m3 pulling about halfway through the race and winning. The roll stock vs stock the m3 will win but if the evo driver knows the right gear to be in and knows how to drive it wont be a lopsided win.

PS: be careful with evo guys they all say they just have an exhaust meanwhile they have exhaust intake and tune which will be right around 340-350WHP.(they might even have more mods, i used to be one of them!)
NYC 135i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
JonnyM3
Lieutenant
 
JonnyM3's Avatar
 
Drives: Moderately Quick
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 503
iTrader: (1)

Seriously? 350whp in a stage 2 Evo? Get me the dyno for that cause that's over 440hp to the crank which is crazy numbers. My Stage 2 STi would have been raped by any e90 M3 especially dct. Run them from any rolling speed and you'll most definitely win unless they have some crazy mods (meth injection, upgraded turbo etc). Even if they are stage 2 you'll win.
JonnyM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #9
BMWAutoXer
No Cones
 
Drives: 08 335i Coupe ZSP Space/Saddle
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Birmingham, MI

Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onurleft View Post
Evo's have a pretty horrible drag at speed. Even if modified they need lots of power to run in the triple digits. However, with simple bolt on's and methanol they can go 350-400awhp.

To give you an idea of stock for stock ...

after 1520 ft my buddies E92 M went 111mph and my friends stock Evo 9 SE went 100mph
The Evo achieved a 1.8 60ft time, while the M3 managed a 2.0.

The Evo has a simple grip advantage off the line but in all honesty is much slower even than an E46 M3 once rolling
Your friend should practice at drag racing his Evo, if he is pulling 60' times over 1.5s in an AWD launch with that kind of power he's not launching right. Great drivers pull 1.0-1.2 consistently. 1.5 is average. It doesn't seem like much but that early in the race its huge and its where AWD cars get their speed. Sounds like he's doing the usual jump and bog that plagues AWD launches
BMWAutoXer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 e92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area, California

Posts: 1,507
iTrader: (0)

You should be aware if your co-workers are saying that they just have an exhaust. They might have a test pipe and headers together with the exhaust as well. I have a friend of mine has an evo IX with a test pipe, headers, exhaust, and tune. He pretty much eats the 4.6 mustangs for breakfast in the freeways.

When it boils down to racing from a dig, the M3 will win towards the end. Launching an AWD vehicle (like an EVO) from a dig and dumping it's clutch is VERY harmful for the drivetrain. That is the reason why the GTR has LC (launch control) to minimize drivetrain damage.

Also if you want to win, take them from a roll. Around a 115+ MPH, the EVO will start turning into a brick and the M3 will start travelling at lightspeed...
e92_m3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Peteypab2133
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 GT500 on order / E90 325
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Highland Heights KY

Posts: 194
iTrader: (2)

I am an evo owner, and maybe a soon to be m owner but I will at least add some insight.

The evo is far more difficult to launch than any RWD or FWD car. Although you have AWD, doesnt mean that its a simple 4wd hole shot. there is generally no room for error. You either bog it, or roast the tires.

On the other hand, the 100 mph in the 1/4 seems slow to me considering I took mine to the track with 1700 miles on it (100% stock) and almost ran a 12 second 1/4 mile at 105 mph.


With about $900.00 invested I ran an 11.79 @ 116.

Here are two videos.

stock



$900.00 invested.




just enjoy what you got, i find that easier than arguing lol
__________________


2013 GT500 + 2006 E90
Peteypab2133 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #12
Zero7
First Lieutenant
 
Zero7's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 Dakar Edition
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK

Posts: 366
iTrader: (0)

Who care, it's a tin pot washing machine... They are sterile and pretty boring to drive....
Zero7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #13
MrHarris
yodog
 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

Posts: 5,037
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Modded evo will for sure win most of the time. I'd say the M3 has a chance if the race is starting at 80 (in 3rd gear) or like 110mph (4th gear) but no one really does that.
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
1cleanm3
Brigadier General
 
1cleanm3's Avatar
 
Drives: ///E92M3*RR Sport*Prius
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the 818

Posts: 3,604
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Modded evo will for sure win most of the time. I'd say the M3 has a chance if the race is starting at 80 (in 3rd gear) or like 110mph (4th gear) but no one really does that.
Yup evos shouldnt be taken lightly thats for sure.

However i think its stupid comparing these two cars, they are nothing alike.
__________________
HRE + CHALLENGE + KW V3 + GINTANI + ARKYM + YOKOHAMA AD08
1cleanm3 is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #15
Peteypab2133
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 GT500 on order / E90 325
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Highland Heights KY

Posts: 194
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero7 View Post
Who care, it's a tin pot washing machine... They are sterile and pretty boring to drive....
Your absolutely correct, what else do you call a car that weighs 3200 pounds and has an AWD system installed? The car is a proven rally machine. Has a motor that can take upwards of 800 hp/liter, beefed up brakes, suspension, and aluminum body panels to take the weight off of it.

So what we see here is that the car was intended to be fast not comfortable. You can say all the rude comments about it if you want, but show me facts that its a better car?
__________________


2013 GT500 + 2006 E90
Peteypab2133 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero7 View Post
Who care, it's a tin pot washing machine... They are sterile and pretty boring to drive....
idiot.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2010, 04:12 AM   #17
Zero7
First Lieutenant
 
Zero7's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 Dakar Edition
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK

Posts: 366
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteypab2133 View Post
Your absolutely correct, what else do you call a car that weighs 3200 pounds and has an AWD system installed? The car is a proven rally machine. Has a motor that can take upwards of 800 hp/liter, beefed up brakes, suspension, and aluminum body panels to take the weight off of it.

So what we see here is that the car was intended to be fast not comfortable. You can say all the rude comments about it if you want, but show me facts that its a better car?
Urm, I owned an EVO6 and 9GT (arguably the best EVO ever made) and found them great for anyone to drive fast around bends, required no real driver skills and to get any real joy of out challenging you as a driver you would have to be doing ridiculous speeds on the road and risking other road users, on track it's another story.

Preferred my Subaru Spec-C toshi Arai as it 'involved' the driver more and had a little more RWD bias.
Zero7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #18
Peteypab2133
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 GT500 on order / E90 325
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Highland Heights KY

Posts: 194
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero7 View Post
Urm, I owned an EVO6 and 9GT (arguably the best EVO ever made) and found them great for anyone to drive fast around bends, required no real driver skills and to get any real joy of out challenging you as a driver you would have to be doing ridiculous speeds on the road and risking other road users, on track it's another story.

Preferred my Subaru Spec-C toshi Arai as it 'involved' the driver more and had a little more RWD bias.

Well being from the UK you have the opportunities to drive some cars that I do not. Although I can still say from my shop dwelling experiences that the STI is a great daily driver, but a horrible toy to play with. The older evo's were even lighter, and had even more noise to deal with.. although I will say the 6 is the best evo possibly to date.
__________________


2013 GT500 + 2006 E90
Peteypab2133 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #19
Kyoshi71
Colonel
 
Kyoshi71's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York

Posts: 2,528
iTrader: (0)

First of all, you'll kill them in every rergard so I wouldnt sweat any of it. Secondly, and almost as important, if you're over the age of 22 and driving one, you look like a complete fast & furious wannabe jerkoff.
Bottom line: You win on all fronts.
__________________
"But resist we much; we must; and we will much; about that be committed."
~Rev. Al Sharpton


2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Kyoshi71 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #20
Zero7
First Lieutenant
 
Zero7's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 Dakar Edition
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK

Posts: 366
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteypab2133 View Post
Well being from the UK you have the opportunities to drive some cars that I do not. Although I can still say from my shop dwelling experiences that the STI is a great daily driver, but a horrible toy to play with. The older evo's were even lighter, and had even more noise to deal with.. although I will say the 6 is the best evo possibly to date.
Yes, quite lucky being able to drive a lot of these cars much easier in the UK, I had the first generation Subaru Sti's (version 1) which blew my mind, nothing compared to it.. The EVO6 was a blast but the AYC was horrid, I had 5k worth of warranty work done in the first year, anyway, I digress.

I hated the AYC as 'I' wanted to control and drive the car rather than the electrics.

The 9GT was modded, around 400/440 and i took it around Milbrook on a drivers day and it was stunning, stuck to the road like glue but not that involving.

http://www.driven-ltd.co.uk/millbroo...pine-route.htm

I prefer NA cars and being able to balance them on the throttle, plus RWD means you can't just 'point and squirt' - I find the EVO's and to some degree the Subaru's a little one dimensional (and very good at that single dimension) whereas the M3 is a multi-layered beast with a stunning engine and chassis to match.

The Subaru Spec-c is a very well sorted car and more 'entertaining' than the EVO's IMO of course.
Zero7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #21
JonnyM3
Lieutenant
 
JonnyM3's Avatar
 
Drives: Moderately Quick
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 503
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteypab2133 View Post
I am an evo owner, and maybe a soon to be m owner but I will at least add some insight.

The evo is far more difficult to launch than any RWD or FWD car. Although you have AWD, doesnt mean that its a simple 4wd hole shot. there is generally no room for error. You either bog it, or roast the tires.

On the other hand, the 100 mph in the 1/4 seems slow to me considering I took mine to the track with 1700 miles on it (100% stock) and almost ran a 12 second 1/4 mile at 105 mph.


With about $900.00 invested I ran an 11.79 @ 116.

Here are two videos.

stock



$900.00 invested.




just enjoy what you got, i find that easier than arguing lol
Sweet car, but you're a bit misleading there. Unless you own a shop, got a business discount on parts and did all the work and tuning yourself, there is no way that is only $900 in mods. Even if you did have all the above, the average person will be paying more to run an Evo that quickly so thats not really a fair price to say. Back on topic, your Evo has at least $2.5k worth of mods. Pulley, tuned, and filtered M3 should run a slower time by a tad, but with a higher trap speed. Sick car nonetheless, but not $900 in go fast mods, sorry. My STI's parts- Turboback was $1,500, Perrin Short Ram $170, and tune was $900.
JonnyM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #22
Peteypab2133
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 GT500 on order / E90 325
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Highland Heights KY

Posts: 194
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
First of all, you'll kill them in every rergard so I wouldnt sweat any of it. Secondly, and almost as important, if you're over the age of 22 and driving one, you look like a complete fast & furious wannabe jerkoff.
Bottom line: You win on all fronts.
great advice!

I tell you want, bring your car to Kentucky in may when the 1/4 mile opens as well as the local track. Bring your title, your mouth, your video camera, I want everyone to see me take that cute little M off your hands.


Dont give advice that your car cannot back up.

With just a tune and mbc stock turbo evos run mid 11's. Youtube it.

Better hope the guys he work with are not telling fibs, because if my car didnt have a 3.5" exhaust it would sound stock but run like a monster.
__________________


2013 GT500 + 2006 E90
Peteypab2133 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST