BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

PYSPEED

11-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #23
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep

Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98

Thanks for the comments. The smell at stoplights--is it so bad that you sit there hoping the light will turn green so you can get away from it? My installer warns me that when he has M3s in his shop with the midpipe, he can't let them idle at all or it makes his "eyes water"...
Nah it's not that bad. It's easily tolerable, even in high doses. I Rarely complain at stoplights. And i mean rarely. I hardly notice as it is. Some people are more sensitive than others.
      11-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #24
In Extremis
Jordan C
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 MR E92 M3, 65 GTO

Nothing like the smell of my car with race fuel in the summer time, love it! I always liked then Dinan xpipe for the same reason I didn't buy it. It's beautiful quality and a single piece, but that means you don't have the option of ever going with a hfc. I actually have hfcs for my xpipe as well and it makes passing smog a breeze.
Melbourne Red E92 M3 DCT Sparco CF/Alcantara DTM Seats.KW3 Coilovers.Apex Wheels.OEM Performance Spoiler with CRT Theme & Splitters.Turner Subframe Mounts.Vorshlag Camber Plates.RD Sway Bars.AD08s 265/295.15 lb. Braille Battery.Catless Gintani Race.ESS Tune.Dinan Pulley.MS2 Intake.100 Octane Mix.Schroth Harnesses.Challenge Harness Bar in MR.Challenge Toe Link.Krics R40.Turner Studs/Pedals.SS Lines.Rear Seat Delete & more I can't remember
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
lenzm3edan
First Pride
Rep

Drives: E90, Mercedes C300, subi

No regrets, love the sound and added power, the only issue I'll hate is having to put my cat back on and reflash to pass emissions. I sill have the secondary cats in so the smell is not bad at all and there is no gain in deleting the secondary.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #26
kaiv
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Get the Macht Schnell test pipes: Awesome gains and absolutely 0 smell! No regrets; actually one of the best mods I've done to the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #27
aus
Major General
Rep

Drives: Odysse

For you guys who say you get more power, have you seen any dyno's show consistent increased power going catless vs. 200cpi cats?
The ONLY thread I've seen was by Evolve and they BARELY got any extra power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Get the Macht Schnell test pipes: Awesome gains and absolutely 0 smell! No regrets; actually one of the best mods I've done to the car.
Are they better than the Turner ones in any way? Because they cost a good bit more.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #28
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
How much improvement will one get running catless vs.200cpi int he secondary position?
Evolve said hardly any improvement.

+1

Any gains from deleting secondaries?? If yes, how much?
      11-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #29
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep

Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssM3

+1

I did a dyno comparing my AA HFC with the catless version and I saw MAYBE a 3 rwhp/tq increase. It's minimal at best. This is also with 200 CPI in the primary position, not secondary.
      11-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #30
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 DCT

200cpi each bank or total??
      11-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #31
Super Sic
Private
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssM3 View Post
200cpi each bank or total??
Each bank
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #32
M3sicko
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 10' E92 M3 6MT to 13' E92 DCT

no regret here, definitely worth doing it IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #33
gatorfast
Colonel
Rep

Drives: MR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssM3 View Post
+1

I got rid of my secondaries and replaced with straight pipes. Butt dyno says no difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #34
knolow
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
The Dinan x-pipe is one if my favorite mods. Do it. The smell will bother you for the first hour, but that will pass quickly when you hear the sound, and feel the nice power gain.
I completely agree. I went with the Dinan mid pipes and never looked back. It sounds tremendous with the Dinan Muff pipes. And the smell is only prominent when in a garage; otherwise I don't smell it in the car or when the window is open at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #35
knolow
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Also not sure if its in my mind but after I super charged the ///M it sounds even meaner.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #36
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post

Do you think this option will yield the same sound as getting a sport X-pipe with HFCs (Like the Challenge Sport)?

If so I'm just going to do test pipes and a tune and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #37
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Drives: 08 E92 M3

I have the turner test pipes on order (should be shipped this week or next, according to them) and I have created a custom X pipe from the primary cats back (No secondary cats, Magnaflow x pipe, different connecting pipes). I used to have a 350z Nismo that was full catless but the smell wasn't that bad, at all. I got used to it.

I think this time around I will put 100 CPI catalytic converters in the place where I had my secondary cats. This shouldn't affect output much at all, will it?
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #38
M-Maika
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Drives: M3 E92 AW

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [5.00]
Not me. Happy with catless.
      11-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #39
paradocs98
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S

Followup:

Went ahead with the Dinan midpipe and software to pair with my Dinan mufflers. Sound is great. Similar to the acoustics/tone of just the Dinan mufflers alone at idle and low rpms, but scaled up a bit. When you start to climb the revband, though, and get up to about 5500+, it's loud, angry, aggressive. Perfect.

It is smelly when you park and get out of the car, and if you get a whiff of the smell you can taste it a bit, too. You get a sense that at low speeds a funk cloud is surrounding and following you, kind of like Pig Pen from Peanuts. But man does the car feel good.

Thanks everyone for the input.
      11-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #40
aus
Major General
Rep

Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
I have the turner test pipes on order (should be shipped this week or next, according to them) and I have created a custom X pipe from the primary cats back (No secondary cats, Magnaflow x pipe, different connecting pipes). I used to have a 350z Nismo that was full catless but the smell wasn't that bad, at all. I got used to it.

I think this time around I will put 100 CPI catalytic converters in the place where I had my secondary cats. This shouldn't affect output much at all, will it?
Might as well do 200cpi cats. My Akra Evo still has enough smell that I worry when a cop is behind me.
The Turner test pipes are the best bang for the buck at $400.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #41
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Followup:

Went ahead with the Dinan midpipe and software to pair with my Dinan mufflers. Sound is great. Similar to the acoustics/tone of just the Dinan mufflers alone at idle and low rpms, but scaled up a bit. When you start to climb the revband, though, and get up to about 5500+, it's loud, angry, aggressive. Perfect.

It is smelly when you park and get out of the car, and if you get a whiff of the smell you can taste it a bit, too. You get a sense that at low speeds a funk cloud is surrounding and following you, kind of like Pig Pen from Peanuts. But man does the car feel good.

Congrats and thx for providing insight on what it really smell..uh...tastes like . I've been thinking about a Fabspeed HFC + X Pipe set-up myself, might have to pull that trigger before track season is upon us.
      11-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #42
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 Dinan ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Followup:

Welcome to the dark side..............Phil
2011.5 E92 Dinan///M3: SSII DCT- Comp, Prem 2, and Conv Pkg, Heated Seats, Enhanced Prem Sound, Edition Grills/Gills, M Performance Steering Wheel, Carbon Fiber Performance Spoiler, BMW Pedals, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan X-Pipe, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Software Tune, Dinan DCT Tune, Dinan Pulley Kit, Dinan CH-R Wheels, Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Arkym Lip, IND M5 Mirror Caps, Carbon Reflectors, Lux H8 V3, Brembo 365mm BBK
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #43
MikeM5
Philippines
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, BRZ, X5 4.8is

No regrets here. Actually wish I did it sooner!
      11-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #44
NotQuiteRight
Winning
Rep

Drives: E90 M3 Space grey

I love it!

Did the primary cat delete with Turner's kit, but left the secondary cats intact. I also have the OEM muffler mod done.

There is no smell that I can tell except at start up in the garage. I will say though that the sound is very LOUD esp after 4K at WOT compared to just the OEM muffler mod.

2009 M3 E90 DCT All options
2002 F350 Lariat 8" lift 38's
2012 500hp LS3 RockCrawler
Appreciate 0