BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Cosmetic Parts (External and Internal) & Lighting

Racewerkz Engineering
Closed Thread

09-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Massdrop
Private

Drives: BMW M5

Lightbulb Massdrop | GROUP BUY - BMW E9x M3 Carbon Fiber Splitter ($112)

Group Buy is: ACTIVE

Hey - we've gotten a lot of requests to run a group buy for an M3 Carbon Fiber Splitter. Usually these sell for $450+, but we're running a group buy on these that can bring the price down to $112 if enough people get in.

Product Description:

This is a group buy for a BMW E9x M3 Carbon Fiber Splitter. Give yourself the edge on appearance with these M3 Carbon Fiber Front Splitters. Present a more aggressive appearance with aerodynamics to match. These splitters increase downward airflow aiding the already impressive engineering that goes into every BMW.

Product url: BMW E92 M3 Carbon Fiber Splitter- Massdrop

Pricing:
  • 20-49 Sold: $135 each
  • 50-99 Sold: $125 each
  • 100+ Sold: $112 each

About Massdrop:

Massdrop is a service that helps forums run group buys. Group buys happen on forums all the time, but some of the time they can be messy, risky, and dragged out. What we do is make it easy for you guys to take advantage of your group buying power and save yourselves money. Just email us at info@massdrop.com letting us know what you want and we'll make it happen. We can also work with other vendors to help make your lives easier.

Terms of the Group Buy:
  • Group buy will run from August 28, 2012 through September 6, 2012.
  • To join the group buy, you will have to pay here. You'll be charged the current price now, but once the group buy is over you will automatically be refunded the savings. This is so that when the price drops, you will only be charged the final amount. If, for whatever reason, not enough people join, you'll automatically be refunded 100% of your money when the group buy ends.
  • There are no geographical restrictions on this group buy. Anybody can sign up through the website and shipping is to anywhere in the world (additional costs apply).
  • If you are in the United States, total shipping cost will be $18. If you are outside of the United States, you will pay higher shipping plus any customs that your country requires.

Please click here to join now.

Pictures

Last edited by Massdrop; 09-01-2012 at 11:42 PM.
      09-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
BMW Fanatic
Banned

Drives: slow

You still never told me who makes them? Can't be OEM.
BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
      09-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
tibra1
Banned

Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
+1..
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
      09-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Massdrop
Private

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
+1..
Hey. No, they're not OEM. These are aftermarket splitters made to be OEM style - sourced straight from the factory. They're real CF and the fitment on these are great - basically perfect. I'll be posting some pictures of how they fit in a bit.

Last edited by Massdrop; 09-01-2012 at 06:26 PM.
      09-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Ohh_5H1T
Captain

Drives: Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massdrop View Post
Hey. No, they're not OEM. These are aftermarket splitters made to be OEM style - sourced straight from the factory. They're real CF and the fitment on these are great - basically perfect. I'll be posting some pictures of how they fit in a minute.
Pics would be great!!! I already added myself to the group buy this morning! Hoping it all goes through and that they fit great!
      09-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Massdrop
Private

Here are some pics of the actual splitter:

09-02-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
sjuang
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011 e92 M3 Jet Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Added to the list, let's get more people on the group buy!
      09-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
Keik E92 M3
Banned

Drives: BMW M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW  [4.50]
2011 BMW 335i  [3.40]
Great price.
Keik E92 M3 is offline   United_States
      09-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Massdrop
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuang View Post
Added to the list, let's get more people on the group buy!
Awesome! We need 20 to make sure this one goes through.
      09-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
Jaypod
Brigadier General

Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Where are these made?
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
      09-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
Legion5
Major

Drives: e92

Quote:
Here are some pics of the actual splitter:

The quality of these honestly is low end. Maybe I'm a nitpicker but right away I'm noticing that each and every single strand of carbon isn't laid correctly. There are ripples and runs literally everywhere.

Regarding the fitment it's a little dodgy. You can see the edges aren't straight even in these small photos the waviness is apparent and there is a gap between the splitter and the air intake where you can see a line of paint due to poor fitment.

Personally I'm a fan of the cheaper carbon peices made in Taiwan over something like these. The quality of the Taiwanese carbon fiber manufacturing is extremely high as they have a flourishing industry that makes OEM parts. The replicas I've gotten from Taiwan consistently have a very good appearance and fitment. The cheap Taiwanese stuff is almost perfect and the expensive Taiwanese stuff looks like it was made by a robot.

These peices look like they're the Chinese made splitters which are done by lightly trained low wage factory laborers, with a setup where a group of workers will make these in the thousands and then switch to a different product next week.

I'd personally spend twice as much to get a low end Taiwanese replica:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E90-E92-...9b8fd4&vxp=mtr

Unfortunately there isn't a high end Taiwanese replica of the OEM splitters unless you count the ones JL Motoring sells but those are a 1x1 weave and not a 2x2 weave like OEM.

OEM sells for $600 of course.

The price of these Chinese made replicas runs around $155 though so the sale is legit. A ton of people actually had these exact rep splitters at the last big BMW show I went to.

Last edited by Legion5; 09-02-2012 at 10:34 PM.
      09-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
Ohh_5H1T
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
The quality of these honestly is low end. Maybe I'm a nitpicker but right away I'm noticing that each and every single strand of carbon isn't laid correctly. There are ripples and runs literally everywhere. The quality level is what you get with a first time carbon layer who's taking his time or a lightly trained mass production worker who's not taking his time.

Regarding the fitment it's a little dodgy. You can see the edges aren't straight even in these small photos the waviness is apparent and there is a gap between the splitter and the air intake where you can see a line of paint due to poor fitment.

Personally I'm a fan of the cheaper carbon peices made in Taiwan over something like these. The quality of the Taiwanese carbon fiber manufacturing is extremely high as they have a flourishing industry that makes OEM parts. The replicas I've gotten from Taiwan consistently have a very good appearance and fitment. The cheap Taiwanese stuff is almost perfect and the expensive Taiwanese stuff looks like it was made by a robot.

These peices look like they're the Chinese made splitters which are done by lightly trained low wage factory laborers, with a setup similar to how many inexpensive chinese products are made.

Unfortunately there isn't a high end Taiwanese replica of the OEM splitters unless you count the ones JL Motoring sells but those are a 1x1 weave and not a 2x2 weave like OEM.

The price of these Chinese made replicas runs around $155 though so the sale is legit. A lot of people had these exact splitters at the last big BMW show I went to.
That last photo is very badly photoshopped.... I'm a highly skilled photographer and there are havy signs of clone tool usage on that photo. That is the main reason why the splitter looks so crappy in that particular photo.

OP im not sure where you got that image from but if you got it from the supplier, i would question this. And if you took it yourself... I'm not even sure what to say...

I'd personally like to see a quick video highlighting the fit/look of the actual splitter on a car.

Im personally not too concerned of the carbon fiber being 1x1 because i may paint mine matte black to go with the rest of my car. But this last pic really just brought me some concerns, considering I was probably the first to add myself to the group buy... Wouldn't want a pair of splitters that fit like crap.

OP we deserve a very good explanation here.
      09-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
Ohh_5H1T
Captain

Quote:
The quality of these honestly is low end. Maybe I'm a nitpicker but right away I'm noticing that each and every single strand of carbon isn't laid correctly. There are ripples and runs literally everywhere.

These peices look like they're the Chinese made splitters which are done by lightly trained low wage factory laborers, with a setup where a group of workers will make these in the thousands and then switch to a different product next week.

The price of these Chinese made replicas runs around $155 though so the sale is legit. A ton of people actually had these exact rep splitters at the last big BMW show I went to.
BTW do you know first hand that the Taiwanese replica's fit right?
      09-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
Legion5
Major

Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh_5H1T View Post
That last photo is very badly photoshopped.... I'm a highly skilled photographer and there are havy signs of clone tool usage on that photo. That is the main reason why the splitter looks so crappy in that particular photo.

OP im not sure where you got that image from but if you got it from the supplier, i would question this. And if you took it yourself... I'm not even sure what to say...

I'd personally like to see a quick video highlighting the fit/look of the actual splitter on a car.

Im personally not too concerned of the carbon fiber being 1x1 because i may paint mine matte black to go with the rest of my car. But this last pic really just brought me some concerns, considering I was probably the first to add myself to the group buy... Wouldn't want a pair of splitters that fit like crap.

Now that I look at the photo under magnification, it's clearly photoshopped. Which isn't suprising. My guess is that the company never had access to an M3 to show off their product so they simply photoshopped it instead. This is very common with chinese accessory manufacturers, they will make an accessory for a product they have never seen and then will just photoshop it onto the product.

Quote:
BTW do you know first hand that the Taiwanese replica's fit right?
No.

I've seen the Chinese splitters which we can be 99% certain these are and the fitment can have issues, for example:

The chinese splitters the OP is selling actually have a different shape than the OEM splitters. The part that goes on the outside most portion of the bumper (shown right above) is actually a little wider than what BMW has and it doesn't lay like a flat sheet of paper but has a raised edge like a lip.

This also proves that the OP's photo is a photoshop because in the photo the outside edge of the splitter lays flat like a sheet of paper in his installed image but in the other pictures of just the parts the splitters have a lip like the part seen above. These cannot be the same part if the photos are genuine.

The JL Motoring $400 "high end" taiwanese replicas fit very well based on photos though:

The JL motoring splitters fit almost as well as the OEM splitters, and are 99% there.

I haven't seen anyone in person with the low end taiwanese replicas but based on my other experiences with other parts they should be pretty good. At the least they are going to be between the chinese reps and the high end taiwanese reps, that's guaranteed. Here are photos of what you can expect from a low end taiwanese replica (painted):

The fitment is very good all around, but they got the inside front edge just slightly off.

Here is another example of the low end Taiwanese splitters installed except these aren't centered and are installed too far outward unlike the first example which is "fitted" better, the gap between the bumper and the splitter should not run down the whole splitter. But anyways you can see how the front inner edge of the splitter deviates from the lines of the car and the gap between the bumper and the splitter gets wider towards the front here. You will have a little bit sticking out and it will look like the picture above.

Besides the tiny half inch long gap on the front inside edge though the low end $250 taiwanese splitters fit very well and 99% of people wouldn't complain.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Legion5; 09-02-2012 at 11:52 PM.
      09-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #15
Ohh_5H1T
Captain

Quote:
Now that I look at the photo under magnification, it's clearly photoshopped. Which isn't suprising. My guess is that the company never had access to an M3 to show off their product so they simply photoshopped it instead. This is very common with chinese accessory manufacturers, they will make an accessory for a product they have never seen and then will just photoshop it onto the product.

No.

I've seen the Chinese splitters which we can be 99% certain these are and the fitment can have issues, for example:

The chinese splitters the OP is selling actually have a different shape than the OEM splitters. The part that goes on the outside most portion of the bumper (shown right above) is actually a little wider than what BMW has and it doesn't lay like a flat sheet of paper but has a raised edge like a lip.

This also proves that the OP's photo is a photoshop because in the photo the outside edge of the splitter lays flat like a sheet of paper in his installed image but in the other pictures of just the parts the splitters have a lip like the part seen above. These cannot be the same part.

The JL Motoring $400 "high end" taiwanese replicas fit very well based on photos though:

The JL motoring splitters fit almost as well as the OEM splitters, and are 99% there.

I haven't seen anyone in person with the low end taiwanese replicas but based on my other experiences with other parts they should be pretty good. At the least they are going to be between the chinese reps and the high end taiwanese reps, that's guaranteed. Here are photos of what you can expect from a low end taiwanese replica (painted):

The fitment is very good all around, but they got the inside front edge just slightly off.

Here is another example of the low end Taiwanese splitters installed except these aren't centered and are installed too far outward unlike the first example. You can see how the front inner edge of the splitter deviates from the lines of the car and is a tiny bit off here though.

Besides the tiny half inch long gap on the front inside edge though the low end $250 taiwanese splitters fit very well.

Hope that helps.
Great help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!

OP????
      09-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #16
Massdrop
Private

Quote:

Hey Ohh_5H1T - so we got these pictures from our supplier. We've already contacted them and told them about what you said and they're looking into it. After looking at it closely, it does look photoshopped and we should have caught it. I'll be sure to give you an update once we get a solid response from them. At the bottom of this post, I've included a picture that we took ourselves of the sample unit.

In the meantime, I have a suggestion. Since you're already in on the group buy and have paid, we can send you your unit in advance. Then you can inspect it, install it, take (lots) of pictures, and post them back here. If it's good, then fantastic and hopefully enough people will join so that we can reach a better group buy price (we'll refund you the difference in price drops).

If, for whatever reason, the fitment or product is something you're not happy with, just let us know and we'll refund you your money right away and cancel the group buy. No questions asked. This way you'll only get the products that you'll be happy with.

Let me know what you guys think.

Also thanks a ton Legion5 for your feedback. If you have any suggestions for a better vendor, just let us know and we can work to set up a group buy through them.

Pic of our sample unit:

09-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #17
mrkhanna16
Captain

Drives: E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red ZCP DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
what a great vendor^.....everyone should be taking notes here

E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red, DCT, ZCP
past rides-IS350, E92 335i
mrkhanna16 is online now   United_States
      09-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #18
BMW Fanatic
Banned

Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkhanna16 View Post
+1, turned my opinion of them right around.
BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
      09-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #19
ottoblotto
///M-Flight Bavaria

Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011.75 BMW M3 E90  [5.00]
Quote:
If, for whatever reason, the fitment or product is something you're not happy with, just let us know and we'll refund you your money right away and cancel the group buy. No questions asked. This way you'll only get the products that you'll be happy with.
to massdrop. I like their idea.
      09-03-2012, 02:42 AM   #20
sjuang
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011 e92 M3 Jet Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Awesome idea. That's cust service!
      09-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #21
Ohh_5H1T
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
to massdrop. I like their idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuang View Post
Awesome idea. That's cust service!
Quote:
+1, turned my opinion of them right around.
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Ohh_5H1T - so we got these pictures from our supplier. We've already contacted them and told them about what you said and they're looking into it. After looking at it closely, it does look photoshopped and we should have caught it. I'll be sure to give you an update once we get a solid response from them. At the bottom of this post, I've included a picture that we took ourselves of the sample unit.

In the meantime, I have a suggestion. Since you're already in on the group buy and have paid, we can send you your unit in advance. Then you can inspect it, install it, take (lots) of pictures, and post them back here. If it's good, then fantastic and hopefully enough people will join so that we can reach a better group buy price (we'll refund you the difference in price drops).

Let me know what you guys think.

Also thanks a ton Legion5 for your feedback. If you have any suggestions for a better vendor, just let us know and we can work to set up a group buy through them.

Pic of our sample unit:

Just quoting everyone who has replied so ya'll know i'll be more than happy to do this. That sounds good. I believe you have my mailing info from me joining the group buy. Send me tracking details and as soon as i receive them i'll have them installed and will take ample photos with my pro camera and will post high-res files on here for everyone's reference. Hopefully it turns out well! Thank you so much OP... Totally saved the day with this.
      09-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #22
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

Quote:
Im in if the fitment is good after I see install pics
Closed Thread