BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
e92m3_f15x5
mmmmmm
Canada
9

 
Drives: Ducati 848 EVO + E92 AW M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto


Posts: 139
iTrader: (1)

2014 991 Tt



WOW. My next car for sure. Not going to put any money in my M.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Gins
I can't find my pants.
No_Country
54

 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo


Posts: 2,507
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Turbo S. I am guessing we'll see it get close to $200k US, if GT-Rs are going for $110k.

I love the active aero though!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
Belgium
88

 
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium


Posts: 3,811
iTrader: (0)

Need to pre order one...but first i need to check my bank account
THX for sharing this nice video
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
F1Venom
Captain
23

 
Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA


Posts: 860
iTrader: (0)

Great car, but it will only be PDK like the GT3.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Majin Buu
Banned
7

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada


Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

anyone willing to bet it will still be slower than the GT-R?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Kensta335
Brigadier General
63

 
Kensta335's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal 626


Posts: 3,634
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
anyone willing to bet it will still be slower than the GT-R?
I'll take that bet. The current turbo S is fast than the GT-R.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
RingMeister01
Croatian
United_States
67

 
RingMeister01's Avatar
 
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Island, NY


Posts: 2,490
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Saw this earlier today. So much badass, so much tech.
__________________
F82 M4 Individual / F87 M2 (on the list) / E36 M3 (track) / E21 320i (S52 + Getrag 420G Swap) / Fiat 500 (daily)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
F1Venom
Captain
23

 
Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA


Posts: 860
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu
anyone willing to bet it will still be slower than the GT-R?
This car will rape the GTR. I think 0-60 for the Turbo S will be less than 2.5 sec.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
TTG
...
United_States
44

 
TTG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA


Posts: 2,879
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
It should of been your current car.....(the 997 version that is) if you are into 911's.
__________________
Retired: 2011 E92 M3 AW w/ Silver Novillo ZCP, ZTP, ZPP, 494, 6FL, 507, 302 & 415.....ED April 29th, 2010
Retired: 2007 E92 335i -Space Gray, Black Leatherette + Alum, Nav, ZCW, ZSP, PDC, CA & Sunshade.....ED Oct 19th, 2006
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
SROC5
Addicted to Track
United_States
55

 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON


Posts: 1,605
iTrader: (3)

meh, I'd get a 991 GT3 before getting this car. Seems overweight. Active aero pretty cool though, let's place a bet that's a $$$$ option.
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
truths2k05
Banned
United_States
1

 
Drives: 11 M3 6 SPD, 12 135i PPK DCT
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Palm Trees And Sun


Posts: 184
iTrader: (0)

Nicest, cleanest looking 911 ever. Wow!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
15

 
turbolag's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: .


Posts: 1,124
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
meh, I'd get a 991 GT3 before getting this car. Seems overweight. Active aero pretty cool though, let's place a bet that's a $$$$ option.
Did you just call a 911 overweight?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
Majin Buu
Banned
7

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada


Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
Did you just call a 911 overweight?
Lol, yeah. I don't think an M3 owner has any business accusing a 911 of being overweight.

Still though, I doubt it's gonna be faster than a GT-R. And to clarify, I'm talking about lap times on a road course, not straight line speed. In a straight line, the 997 Turbo S is faster than the GT-R I admit, but only by a thin margin, and not "rape" like someone said. On a track it's different. The GT-R lapped the Nurburgring in about 7:24. The only Porsche with equivalent lap time is the GT2RS. The GTR on average is faster around a track than any iteration of the 911 Turbo, and I doubt the 991 will change that. And let's not forget the R36 GT-R is probably due in the near future and will likely be even faster than the R35.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
SROC5
Addicted to Track
United_States
55

 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON


Posts: 1,605
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
Did you just call a 911 overweight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
Lol, yeah. I don't think an M3 owner has any business accusing a 911 of being overweight.

Still though, I doubt it's gonna be faster than a GT-R. And to clarify, I'm talking about lap times on a road course, not straight line speed. In a straight line, the 997 Turbo S is faster than the GT-R I admit, but only by a thin margin, and not "rape" like someone said. On a track it's different. The GT-R lapped the Nurburgring in about 7:24. The only Porsche with equivalent lap time is the GT2RS. The GTR on average is faster around a track than any iteration of the 911 Turbo, and I doubt the 991 will change that. And let's not forget the R36 GT-R is probably due in the near future and will likely be even faster than the R35.
Not in comparison to a M3, nor did I make that comparison. lolz.

Do I have to own a specific car to call another car overweight?!? what crazy logic is that?

I'm saying for the plain fact the current 911 is up to 3700 pounds. That's heavy in my book and especially vs. a GT3. That's the comparison I'm making as I did point that out as a car I'd rather get.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...turbo-s-review
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #15
RingMeister01
Croatian
United_States
67

 
RingMeister01's Avatar
 
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Island, NY


Posts: 2,490
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
Did you just call a 911 overweight?
Lol, yeah. I don't think an M3 owner has any business accusing a 911 of being overweight.

Still though, I doubt it's gonna be faster than a GT-R. And to clarify, I'm talking about lap times on a road course, not straight line speed. In a straight line, the 997 Turbo S is faster than the GT-R I admit, but only by a thin margin, and not "rape" like someone said. On a track it's different. The GT-R lapped the Nurburgring in about 7:24. The only Porsche with equivalent lap time is the GT2RS. The GTR on average is faster around a track than any iteration of the 911 Turbo, and I doubt the 991 will change that. And let's not forget the R36 GT-R is probably due in the near future and will likely be even faster than the R35.
No one cares.
__________________
F82 M4 Individual / F87 M2 (on the list) / E36 M3 (track) / E21 320i (S52 + Getrag 420G Swap) / Fiat 500 (daily)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
Majin Buu
Banned
7

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada


Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
No one cares.
Porsche does. since 2008 they've been doing everything in their power to discredit the GTR. They even went as far as buying one and driving it on the nurburgring to "prove" that it's slower than a 911 turbo. And they accused Nissan of cheating. When all that failed, and independent results showed that the GTR is still the faster car in general on most tracks, Porsche pushed forward with developing the Turbo and adding more power and more handling and better technology. They succeeded in improving the car significantly, but Nissan always managed to stay 1 step ahead, much to the chagrin of Porschephiles around the world.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
17

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-State


Posts: 557
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
No one cares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
Porsche does. since 2008 they've been doing everything in their power to discredit the GTR. They even went as far as buying one and driving it on the nurburgring to "prove" that it's slower than a 911 turbo. And they accused Nissan of cheating. When all that failed, and independent results showed that the GTR is still the faster car in general on most tracks, Porsche pushed forward with developing the Turbo and adding more power and more handling and better technology. They succeeded in improving the car significantly, but Nissan always managed to stay 1 step ahead, much to the chagrin of Porschephiles around the world.
Maj, I think you read it wrong. No one cares what YOU have to say about it.

Here we go again, another GT-R fanboi hahaha.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #18
Majin Buu
Banned
7

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada


Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Not in comparison to a M3, nor did I make that comparison. lolz.

Do I have to own a specific car to call another car overweight?!? what crazy logic is that?

I'm saying for the plain fact the current 911 is up to 3700 pounds. That's heavy in my book and especially vs. a GT3. That's the comparison I'm making as I did point that out as a car I'd rather get.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...turbo-s-review
I think the 911 Turbo curb weight is more like 3500 lb which is really not that heavy for an AWD car. The Turbo, compared to a RWD 911, has an extra differential, transfer case, drive shaft, and 2 drive axles. All that will add weight, relative to a stripped down GT3. The 911 Turo still manages to be one of the lightest AWD cars on the market.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #19
SROC5
Addicted to Track
United_States
55

 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON


Posts: 1,605
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
I think the 911 Turbo curb weight is more like 3500 lb which is really not that heavy for an AWD car. The Turbo, compared to a RWD 911, has an extra differential, transfer case, drive shaft, and 2 drive axles. All that will add weight, relative to a stripped down GT3. The 911 Turo still manages to be one of the lightest AWD cars on the market.
Spec says 3550 - 3700 from C/D, and with moderate options, you're looking closer to 3600 lbs., and that's being generous. Also, my point wasn't about AWDs but a comparison made to the GT3. I could care less if the Turbo is lightest AWD car on the planet.
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #20
lenzm3edan
First Pride
34

 
lenzm3edan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90, Mercedes C300, subi
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut..


Posts: 1,403
iTrader: (6)

one day!!!
__________________
ESS VT-2 595 silverstone E90 /// M3 - 6spd - AD08 - Spacers - H&R - AA exhaust - Primary cat delete - Custom test pipes - ESS tune - Lighted ZHP.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #21
jeff2015
Private First Class
United_States
4

 
Drives: 2015 GTR Gun Metal Gray Pr Edi
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Loudoun County


Posts: 165
iTrader: (0)

If I owned the 2014 911 Turbo S, I could care less about a 2014 Nissan GTR. It's a Porshe 911 Turbo!
__________________
Jeff
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #22
mosborn78108
Enlisted Member
Germany
0

 
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kaiserslautern, Germany


Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)

As a former owner of a 997.2 (had to "exchange" it for a Cayenne Hybrid to come to Germany as the family didn't fit in the 911--darn-it!) and soon to be M3 the discussion of GT-R, 911 and M3 is kind of like the discussion on what is the better phone.

All are great cars, can I beat a GT-R on the Nurburgring or any course--for a base 911 w/PDK no but I'll have just as big of a grin as the GT-R owner. I bought the 911 for it's handling and pure driving enjoyment.

At the 'Ring, there are many GT-R owners and not a single one has done the "mine's better than yours" childish crap to any of the Porsche owners. They have even complemented the Cayenne.

All 3 are great cars and when I get the M3 (June :-( ), it will be on the track shortly.

To the discussion about Porsche trying to discredit the GT-R for it's track time, the bottom line is the car IS faster than a 911. The advantage to all of us, is this forced Porsche and other manufacturers to better their cars. Heck a Cayman R with the 911 engine (or TPMS turbo) can better the 911, something Porsche doesn't advertise as people wont buy a 911--their flagship and their former cash cow. The new cash cow is the Cayenne--IMHO, a truck! But it has its purpose as the X3/X5M also do.

I like the discussion here and all make valid points. When I get back to the states in 3 years, CINQHOUSE said I can buy a new 911 but I like the 997.2, the 991 hasnt called to me (or the bank account). That said I will keep the M3 as I enjoy both.

Mike
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST