BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

10-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
djseto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

How to know if EDC is working?

My "new to me" E92 is a month away from going out of warranty (I did get an extended though from the dealer (not BMWs extended)). I've been taking her in about every 2 weeks for little warranty fixes.

Anyways, since I've had the car, I've never noticed a real difference between the various EDC settings. Is there any concrete test to validate it's working right? The lights come on when I push the buttons, but my butt dyno just doesn't really feel much of a difference. Maybe I need to be pushing the car at track levels to notice? If it's very subtle, then maybe it's working, but if it's supposed to be night and day, I can't tell. I used to spend a lot of time on the track on a motorcycle so I'm pretty good when it comes to feeling out a suspension. Then again, I'd argue a motorcycle suspension is a lot easier to feel and notice (at speed and in corners) than a car. Any advice on how to test EDC would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
MStar
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

The EDC is very noticeable..go over some bumps in full stiff..then go over the same bumps in soft..you will notice..(if its working)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolkster View Post
The EDC is very noticeable..go over some bumps in full stiff..then go over the same bumps in soft..you will notice..(if its working)
I agree.........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolkster View Post
This.

EDC may be difficult to feel on a smooth road whilst driving straight. This is due to the fact that each setting is variable and can soften when driving straight on a smooth road. It only firms up when there are direction changes or changes in load. Quickest way to test is to go over a speed bump slowly in each setting. The difference is significant.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
djseto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
This.

EDC may be difficult to feel on a smooth road whilst driving straight. This is due to the fact that each setting is variable and can soften when driving straight on a smooth road. It only firms up when there are direction changes or changes in load. Quickest way to test is to go over a speed bump slowly in each setting. The difference is significant.
Ok. I'll go find a speed bump. I've been changing EDC on the highway and doing some minor in lane swerves and I don't notice much change in the body roll. I'll test and report back. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by djseto View Post
Ok. I'll go find a speed bump. I've been changing EDC on the highway and doing some minor in lane swerves and I don't notice much change in the body roll. I'll test and report back. Thanks guys.
Minor swerves won't load the dampers up enough to feel the difference. A rough road or a speed bump is the quickest way to tell.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

You can really notice the difference on concrete freeways that have a lot of seams.
      10-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's & Porsche's

Agree with all these folks, you should notice a difference between the settings. I would have them checked.
Appreciate 0