BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GetBMWParts

10-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
Siciliano611
Captain

Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe/2015 M4 on order

Exhaust tips get black/sooty so quick after cleaning...normal?

I bought my 09' m3 in January and the previous owner had a Magnaflow axleback exhaust installed, which i like the design and sound, but what I notice is I can clean the inside of the tips with grime reaper (chemical guys) and steel wool, and it will look amazing and shiny on the inside, but just 3-4 days later they are black on the inside again...Does the m3 engine run very rich and hence all the soot already on/in the exhaust tips? It is annoying cleaning the tips as often as it seems I have to
      10-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
MikeE92M3
Captain

Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano611 View Post
I bought my 09' m3 in January and the previous owner had a Magnaflow axleback exhaust installed, which i like the design and sound, but what I notice is I can clean the inside of the tips with grime reaper (chemical guys) and steel wool, and it will look amazing and shiny on the inside, but just 3-4 days later they are black on the inside again...Does the m3 engine run very rich and hence all the soot already on/in the exhaust tips? It is annoying cleaning the tips as often as it seems I have to
I've found it to be normal. I have a dark blue M3 so I am thankful I don't notice anything on the bumper. But I have done the same thing with cleaning it extensively like you.

I think it is just the nature of the beast.

Mike
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
      10-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

Completely normal, mine is catless and they get very nasty quick
      10-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Ilia@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: F10 M5

The S65 actually does not run particularly rich from an AFR standpoint, but the tips do get quite dirty during normal operation.
      10-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano611 View Post
I have carefully followed this problem up inside the exhaust-tips !
Here in Belgium with 98 ron/octane.........
1- with Shell - V power 98 ron inside the tips verry quick black.
2- with Esso - 98 ron up to 6-7 days clean inside the tips !
So...i think.... it is the brand of fuel !
///M Power-Belgium is offline   Belgium