BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

House Motorsports

01-10-2015, 12:21 AM   #1
myBailey07
Live Hard. Live Fast. Live Fearless. Be Kind
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

BPM Stage 1, DCT, Coding thoughts.

I finally made the jump and did the BPM Stage 1 + DCT + Coding

After going back and forth for months and waiting for my warranty to expire I finally made the jump and did the BPM stage 1 tune, DCT tune and coding for euro MDM and some other goodies.

After reading endless tuning threads I came to the conclusion that for stage 1 tuning any HP gains will probably be similar between the major tunes and that it will be so small (maybe 10-15hp top end?) that I will likely not feel a major difference. The three big ones I looked at, BPM/ESS/Evolve, also seemed pretty safe as none of the vendors seemed to be doing crazy tuning things.

So, my key considerations ended up being ease-of-implementation, in other words, can I order online, install it it myself, and responsiveness and customer service in case I screw it up. As a result, I ended up choosing BPM.

As many folks have posted, the response time and getting cable and software was super easy and fast. I am very computer literate which helped and the self install of the Tune and DCT software was super easy and took me about 5-10 minutes each. I ended up not needing any customer support on these. I was disappointed that I had to order a separate coding cable just to get the Euro MDM and was not able to do this myself. Needles, Mike did this and some other smaller coding things for me remotely and painlessly without any problems within 20 minutes one evening.

I kept reading that Mike is such a “cool guy” and most likely he is; however, as a customer I truly don’t care whether vendors are seen as “cool guys”, but customer service is a top priority for me (I know many “cool guys” that sucks as far as being reliable ;-). I have to give BPM FULL credit in living up to my expectations and the key motivation why I went with them - making it easy on me.

Results:

Tune: Honestly, as far as the tune itself I cannot say that I feel a major performance difference, but then again, I did not expect a stage 1 tune to make the earth move either. I have a hard time believing someone can feel a 10 lb/ft torque improvement on a 300 lb/ft car and it’s most likely a placebo effect, BUT, the car definitely feels smoother across the board. The best I describe it is that feeling right after you get your car back from an oil/plug change and you just washed it and it’s nice and shiny and it just feels better :-) I do love the lowered rev limit protecting the engine when cold and removed cold start routine. Again, helps with overall smoothness.

Improvement? Yes. Earth moving increase in performance? Nope.

DCT Upgrade: I would say that after the BBK that replaced the stock brakes that made me poop my pants going into Turn 1 at TWS, the DCT tune is probably the best mod I have done. It completely transforms the DCT. I love my DCT, but the dang thing was just so clunky and rough and sometimes bucking at low speeds to the point that my wife refused to drive the car, that it frustrated me. I hated the fact it would not start in D and not remember the S setting. And that delay going into Reverse was just stupid. Anyway, all that is so much improved, it is transformative. I always loved the DCT on the track, but now it is just as enjoyable for daily driving. And at the higher settings the changes is swift, smooth and so blindingly fast that I can just shake my head in disbelief. With this software I think it gives PDK a run for it’s money.

Worth it? Hell Yeah!

Coding: I hated the regular MDM on the track and the way it is interfering and mostly drives with my DSC off. I though that maybe the euro MDM can give me less intrusion with still some safety net. Once Mike got up in my ///M he told me that Euro MDM was already activated. Hmmmm…seemed like the first owner did some coding :-/ Anyway, If I already had Euro MDM I think it too sucks on the track, but it is probably useful on the street.

Worth it? Given the fact that I had to order an additional cable, could not do this myself and my assessment of euro MDM which I apparently already had, I would say, for me, this part was probably not worth the money.

Overall, I am very happy I did it and would absolutely recommend it. I do really regret not doing the DCT tune much sooner.

If I was pressed for money, I would still do the DCT tune, but the others are probably more discretionary.

Cheers!

Last edited by myBailey07; 01-10-2015 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 01:08 AM   #2
From5ToM24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3

Nice honest review my friend. It really helps out someone like me who is on the edge about pulling the trigger on what tunes I want to do with my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 04:34 AM   #3
Bavarian Beast
Too many wagons on the bahn.....
Rep
Drives: LMB 2011 BMW e93

Thanks for the review. I have been thinking about whether to tune or go test pipes and tune. Seems like the latter would be the way to go for me given that I want a bit more Hp. I think the DCT tune would also be great and didn't know if it was really worth looking at so now it is a serious consideration. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0