BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

09-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
AsciiByter
Private
Rep

Drives: 01 M5

Opinion on buying a 10 e90 with 46k miles

How do the beasts hold up? Can't test drive car would be buying sight unseen price is good will cost me 42.8 to buy it and get it shipped to door not including taxes title tags.

It was taken to local bmw dealer (same one that maintained it) and all maintenance is up to date found no issues. Fully loaded dct model.

Miles concern me but basically I would need to spend 10-15k more to get similar with under 20k miles

From what I was told the previous owner would have never even used the launch control much less track it. Older gentleman that just wanted an "M" reasonable explanation provided for the miles.

Should I be concerned at all?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
gatorfast
Colonel
Rep

Drives: MR E90 M3

Bought mine with same mileage you are looking at. No concerns at all. I also picked up the powertrain plus extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
nuespeedgti
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

i will be in the minority with this but i would rather have a car that has some mileage on it versus a garage queen out of warranty. cars that sit don't age well, not to mention any problems would have already been sorted by 46k.

edit: i wouldn't by it sight unseen. have a ppi done and possibly have a forum member check it out before flying out to view the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuespeedgti View Post
i will be in the minority with this but i would rather have a car that has some mileage on it versus a garage queen out of warranty. cars that sit don't age well, not to mention any problems would have already been sorted by 46k.
Perhaps you have a point but I have not noticed any issues with my low mileage E46 or S2000 (both 2004 model year cars) that have 9-11k miles aside from just having to replace fluids and batteries due to age and not miles.

I don't mind well-maintained higher mileage cars. However, I found my S2000 for only a few thousand more than one than one with 50-60k on it. 7 years old with less than 7k when I bought it, I found that it was in significantly better shape than the higher mileage cars I saw when shopping. Buy the lowest miles you can assuming it's in good condition.
      09-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
AsciiByter
Private
Rep

Thats just it, is buying a 2011 that has 19k miles on it for 57k with the only other difference being that it has the competition package worth it? I guess there would be some difference in the electronics as well.

Thats a 14k swing for 26k less miles and lowered springs and nicer wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsciiByter View Post
Thats just it, is buying a 2011 that has 19k miles on it for 57k with the only other difference being that it has the competition package worth it? I guess there would be some difference in the electronics as well.

Thats a 14k swing for 26k less miles and lowered springs and nicer wheels.
I'd pay the difference if I weren't going to mod and could run 19s. streets too bad in SF Bay Area to use them
      09-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: .

Sounds exactly like the car I have right now, minus the fully loaded part lol. I wouldn't worry about the mileage much, but think it be worth flying out to see the car in person before deciding.

And if you don't need a sedan or all the options, I'd rather have a new m3 with minimal options for just a little more than that 59K price of a used one.

Last edited by sensi09; 10-02-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
AsciiByter
Private
Rep

Yes I need the doors...5 and 8 year old boys. I was actually contemplating a e60 M5 for more interior space but SMG and gas mileage scared me away.

Was considering a F30 335 but I'm still not sold on that front end.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
m3h
Dis Member
Canada
Rep

Drives: in the right lane

At 46K on the odometer, you've only got 4000 miles left on the warranty even though it's a 2010. Although with the price difference for a lower mileage car you could get an extended warranty?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
MMME30W
Riff Raff Refugee
Germany
Rep

Drives: Civic

I'd be ok, if the price, color and options were acceptable, providing:

- You had a good handle on the car's service history.

- and, you did a thorough pre-purchase inspection.

Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 05 Tundra, 11 M3, 08 Odyssey

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to spdy330 Send a message via Yahoo to spdy330
Don't count on the kids being in the back seat for long. Mine are 7 and 10 and since I am 6'3 it is already getting tight in the back seat for my 10 year old. I figure in another year or two my car will only be a two seater . The rear seat space is pretty small compared to other cars on the market.

I agree with flying out to see the car in person. If anything you will be out a few hundred dollars and have a get away at the same time. Heck you may even decide to drive it back yourself.

Good luck OP!

Quote:
Yes I need the doors...5 and 8 year old boys. I was actually contemplating a e60 M5 for more interior space but SMG and gas mileage scared me away.

If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!

Last edited by spdy330; 09-30-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
nuespeedgti
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Perhaps you have a point but I have not noticed any issues with my low mileage E46 or S2000 (both 2004 model year cars) that have 9-11k miles aside from just having to replace fluids and batteries due to age and not miles.

I don't mind well-maintained higher mileage cars. However, I found my S2000 for only a few thousand more than one than one with 50-60k on it. 7 years old with less than 7k when I bought it, I found that it was in significantly better shape than the higher mileage cars I saw when shopping. Buy the lowest miles you can assuming it's in good condition.
sounds like you have a different interest in your cars, the OP is looking to drive his. but hey if you can swing it more power to you. just don't forget to change out all the rubber like tires, seals, and hoses due to oxidation aka dry rot. in 20 years i am sure those cars with fetch top dollar, lord knows i want an e30 m3 bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
AsciiByter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdy330 View Post
Don't count on the kids being in the back seat for long. Mine are 7 and 10 and since I am 6'3 it is already getting tight in the back seat for my 10 year old. I figure in another year or two my car will only be a two seater . The rear seat space is pretty small compared to other cars on the market.
Good luck OP!
Yes the backseat worries me a bit not so much as them being cramped as the thought of getting my chair kicked.

From what I can tell it appears there is less space than my current 01 M5.....smart thing to do would be keep it and keep fixing it but I test drove a M3 with the DCT and I want one.......

I'm thinking that I will just get the high mileage one, it's nearly priced at what I can trade it in for. I did just see a M3 in Orlando area pop up for 60k with 5k miles but I can do alot of upgrades for 17k

Perhaps in 2-3 years I will trade it in for the new F30 M3 and do a European Delivery. Think I will wait one year though for them to work out engine issues though.

I did call the SA at the BMW dealership, he knew the car and the owner and states there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car and was 100% maintaned there. No knowledge of any paintwork and/or accidents. They are not selling the car so no real vested interest other than they probably wouldnt say anything negative anyway but he was very vocal that the car was maintened perfectly and just had a recent brake job.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
rjd598
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 10' M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Pick it up these cars are pretty solid IMO. Grab a warranty though for it better safe than sorry and it will most likely pay for itself
      09-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #15
robbiedawg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 ib e90 m3, 1995 acura nsx

Garage List
08 BMW M3  [0.00]
95 ACURA NSX-T  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes the backseat worries me a bit not so much as them being cramped as the thought of getting my chair kicked.

From what I can tell it appears there is less space than my current 01 M5.....smart thing to do would be keep it and keep fixing it but I test drove a M3 with the DCT and I want one.......

I'm thinking that I will just get the high mileage one, it's nearly priced at what I can trade it in for. I did just see a M3 in Orlando area pop up for 60k with 5k miles but I can do alot of upgrades for 17k

Perhaps in 2-3 years I will trade it in for the new F30 M3 and do a European Delivery. Think I will wait one year though for them to work out engine issues though.

I did call the SA at the BMW dealership, he knew the car and the owner and states there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car and was 100% maintaned there. No knowledge of any paintwork and/or accidents. They are not selling the car so no real vested interest other than they probably wouldnt say anything negative anyway but he was very vocal that the car was maintened perfectly and just had a recent brake job.
remember the bmw free maintenance is fairly minimal,especially the oil changes every 15k miles or so.proof of more frequent oil changes is always helpful.

~EVERYTHING IN MODERATION,INCLUDING MODERATION ~
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #16
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuespeedgti View Post
sounds like you have a different interest in your cars, the OP is looking to drive his. but hey if you can swing it more power to you. just don't forget to change out all the rubber like tires, seals, and hoses due to oxidation aka dry rot. in 20 years i am sure those cars with fetch top dollar, lord knows i want an e30 m3 bad.
Maybe... I'm California and they're stored nicely so no issues with seals yet.

I have other cars and a couple dedicated racing vehicles so the miles don't go up very quickly on the M3's. The S2000 gets driven a bit more.

I don't look at the low mileage cars as investments. I choose to keep pristine examples of cars that I enjoy and know will be hard to find in the future. It will be basically impossible to find an unmolested Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3 with no moonroof and 11,000 miles on it if I sell mine. People have tried to get me to sell for above market but given its rarity, I have to decline.

Last edited by smmmurf; 10-01-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #17
freeman727
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Don't give up so easily. I bought a 2010 e90 w/ 8K miles in June for $50K on the dot (before taxes) and it was nearly fully loaded (no sunroof, premium sound or heated seats).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #18
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '04 Quest, '07 Kia Sorrento

Send a message via MSN to NoM3ForMe
Quote:
Nor should you be; I am not a fan of it either. As to your original question, if it looks solid to you, go for it!