BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
257
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M3 sedan
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

anyone spray painted muffler....

black matte finish to hide the ugly tin hanging in the rear....using heat resistant spray paint for exhaust/ mufflers...you can pick up the spray paint at Autozone .....dont have the car yet so cant try it myself but appreciate any feedback....want to leave the stock muffler but make it more less visible
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
pittsy
Captain
pittsy's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
860
Posts

 
Drives: Jerez...E92 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

There was a guy on here with a e90 from arizona i think, he painted his and it looked much better! It was a while ago
__________________
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
xballashakalax
Lieutenant
12
Rep
459
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LA

iTrader: (3)

imma be doing this soon with the magnaflow 14816 mufflers.....well get piks up
__________________
-------------------------------------------------
Interlogos blue 2008 e90 m3
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
262
Rep
17,021
Posts

 
Drives: BMW Duh
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Santa Clara

iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
I'd recommend having it powdercoated so it can withstand the heat. I'm not sure about the paint's ability to hold up to road debris and paint.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
R1alFast
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: 09' E92 ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

yea its alot better looking...i didnt doit yet onmy 09 but i didit on my e46....you can powder coat if you want, i sprayed it on a couple cans...= cheaper....
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #6
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
555
Rep
46,037
Posts

 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
yes. for sure! there's a vendor i know that offers it for free just coz he hates shiny mufflers
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
alpine335i
Captain
alpine335i's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
687
Posts

 
Drives: 08 e92 M3 6MT, 08 e90 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndoe View Post
black matte finish to hide the ugly tin hanging in the rear....using heat resistant spray paint for exhaust/ mufflers...you can pick up the spray paint at Autozone .....dont have the car yet so cant try it myself but appreciate any feedback....want to leave the stock muffler but make it more less visible
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ainted+muffler
__________________
2008 Alpine White E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 03:25 AM   #8
Rennbahnmeister
Private
Rennbahnmeister's Avatar
Canada
0
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: E90 SG M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I painted mine with high temp flat black paint and it turned out very good. I just painted the muffler and left the tips, just take your time on prep and it will come out fine.

I have driven through snow, salt, and rain and it still looks like the day I painted it. I used a product called Tremclad high heat enamel which is good up to 1200F. There are 2 versions a spray paint and one you can roll on. I used a high density mini foam roller with a small foam brush for the places the roller could not get too.

This method ensures no mess or overspray and it dries even. You could even wet sand it if you are picky but it comes out very smooth without this step, so no need. I did at least 5 coats, would post pics but I dont have any and it's too cold to run out and take them right now.
__________________
///M
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #9
Melo-T
Private First Class
Melo-T's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
132
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Oz

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennbahnmeister View Post
I painted mine with high temp flat black paint and it turned out very good. I just painted the muffler and left the tips, just take your time on prep and it will come out fine.

I have driven through snow, salt, and rain and it still looks like the day I painted it. I used a product called Tremclad high heat enamel which is good up to 1200F. There are 2 versions a spray paint and one you can roll on. I used a high density mini foam roller with a small foam brush for the places the roller could not get too.

This method ensures no mess or overspray and it dries even. You could even wet sand it if you are picky but it comes out very smooth without this step, so no need. I did at least 5 coats, would post pics but I dont have any and it's too cold to run out and take them right now.
This is exactly what I need..Roll on paint as I don't really want to remove the mufflers and Im scared of the overspray.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #10
Melo-T
Private First Class
Melo-T's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
132
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Oz

iTrader: (2)

Search is your friend
__________________
///M3 E92 SSII
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 11:16 PM   #11
ottoblotto
///M-Flight Bavaria
ottoblotto's Avatar
Germany
18
Rep
1,210
Posts

 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Im around

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3 E90  [5.00]
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo-T View Post
This is exactly what I need..Roll on paint as I don't really want to remove the mufflers and Im scared of the overspray.
1. Great Scott this is probably the most ancient bump of all time! Indiana Jones find this for you???

2. Dropping the muffler is super easy and it will make the task quite simple. I did mine when I got an ACM Modded muffler using a few coats of high temp BBQ grill paint. Been a few thousand miles and it still looks great.
__________________
"With great power comes great responsibility." -El-Superbeasto
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST