BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GT Haus

09-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
BMWsully
Enlisted Member

Drives: 370z

I've come to the conclusion....

...that no matter how OCD you are with your car, some kind of damage will always, ALWAYS happen. I covered my car in clear bra and stone chips found their way to an unprotected area. I use seat covers on my seats and still somehow put a scratch in the leather. I don't tailgate cars on the highway, and I still ended up with a nice chip on my windshield. Sorry for the vent, but I think it's time for me to stop caring so much, lol.
      09-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
djseto
Private

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

So I've had 8 cars in the last 7 years, all of which I bought new except my M3 (bought it last month) and somehow those chips don't bother me as much. My Infiniti SUV is a year old and it still drives me nuts when I see a chip or scratch. Even though the M is new to me, when I see a chip or scratch, I just say to myself "I saved $40k on the price of this car new. I'm ok."

It doesn't hurt to care, just don't obsess. Shit happens.
      09-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
NoM3ForMe
Major

Drives: '04 Quest, '07 Kia Sorrento

Send a message via MSN to NoM3ForMe
Quote:
Originally Posted by djseto View Post
So I've had 8 cars in the last 7 years, all of which I bought new except my M3 (bought it last month) and somehow those chips don't bother me as much. My Infiniti SUV is a year old and it still drives me nuts when I see a chip or scratch. Even though the M is new to me, when I see a chip or scratch, I just say to myself "I saved $40k on the price of this car new. I'm ok."

It doesn't hurt to care, just don't obsess. Shit happens.
Well said, sir. +1
      09-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
LarThaL
Colonel

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsully View Post
...that no matter how OCD you are with your car, some kind of damage will always, ALWAYS happen. I covered my car in clear bra and stone chips found their way to an unprotected area. I use seat covers on my seats and still somehow put a scratch in the leather. I don't tailgate cars on the highway, and I still ended up with a nice chip on my windshield. Sorry for the vent, but I think it's time for me to stop caring so much, lol.
Solution is to never drive your car and keep it garaged under a cover. Doesn't that sound appealing?

09-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
It's just a car so .... enjoy driving it .... that after all is what it's all about .... that should be your frame of mind.

As the years go by you can have the car detailed and start all over again ... driving her that is and enjoying the car.

PS. Being originally from Alberta ... stone ships in the window are normal ... we just get a new windshield (some even pay for windshield insurance).

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
      09-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
MMME30W
Riff Raff Refugee

Drives: Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
It's just a car so .... enjoy driving it .... that after all is what it's all about .... that should be your frame of mind.
Amen. I washed/waxed the car yesterday, I noticed a bunch of rock chips I'd never seen before on the snout and hood. Looks like I will get to put that touch up paint to good use. *sigh*.

Still, enjoy driving it every day.

Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
MMME30W is offline   Germany
      09-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist

Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe

It's inevitable. The best you can do is keep it in perspective.
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
///M Rakete is offline   United_States
      09-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Kwando
Captain

Drives: Yes

There's really nothing you can do. Accept it. No matter what you do the car will age, wear, and depreciate.

Do you really use seat covers? Pepboys or beaded?
      09-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
bga23
Dirty old man

Drives: 2011.99 E90 Alpine White

It just a car, drive it an enjoy it.

If these things bother you so much you can always get them repaired or just sell the car and let the next owner deal with them.
      09-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
positiveions
Lieutenant General

Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
i concur with you OP. I am getting to the point where I'm saying to myself " I don't care anymore."
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
      09-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
motortrend
Goldmember

Drives: EM Siree

It happens, it shows you drive it, just remembre all Of that can be fixed/repainted and if it is Well done it can look as good or better than OEM
      09-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
mdosu
Banned

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

it's a car, these things happen, even if you wrap it in a car condom and interior condoms, stuff will still penetrate it. Moral of the story, don't let it get in your head or it'll drive you nuts.

I just scratched underside of my front bumper today from a parking curb, i'm over it, unless you climb under the car, you won't see it, life goes on.

Last edited by mdosu; 09-29-2012 at 09:36 PM.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
      09-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #13
M3 Esq
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Fast

Garage List
I used to be super OCD about rock chips, scratches and such, then I started tracking. Now I have rubber marring that I still haven't cleaned since the last track day. I'm over it.
M3 Esq is online now   United_States
      09-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
ChrisK
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 M3

I am secretly working on a force field for my car! That is the only way.

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
ChrisK is offline   United_States
      09-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #15
Port Canaveral M3 driver
Enlisted Member

Drives: 13 E92 M3 & 05 BMW R1200GS

Garage List
No seat covers, ever! I'd rather have a scratch or two. I too hate paint chips from gravel trucks, dump trucks, feed trucks, what ever. I report them in to the Highway Patrol Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officers. I have that number programed into my IPhone ready to go. When they blow by, dumping gravel all over the road at 80mph, I report them. I try to never ever let one pass me! Their covers just don't work when they get over 70mph. I think they enjoy watching their gravel hit nice rides. If they cared, they would not let it happen. They can see it their rear view mirrors!
Port Canaveral M3 driver is offline   United_States
      09-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
X2Board
Late Apex

Drives: '11 X5 M

I swear that I find at least 1 new chip on my hood every week. I know them all, so when ever there is a new one it sticks out immediately. I get to drive it maybe once a week depending on my travel schedule, and it always seems to happen when my wife is driving the car.
X2Board is online now   United_States
      09-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #17
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant

Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsully View Post
Same, I always take care of my cars, boat, M/C, truck, etc. no matter how well I treat them, shit always happens.... Rock on windshield on freeway, door dings when you come out from shopping, wife curb checks rims, etc...

CCLSVTM3 is offline   United_States
      09-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #18
bnombe
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '12 E92M3 6MT/ZCP/JetBlkFoxRed

I hear ya OP. I have always been the laziest car guy amongst car nuts that I know when it comes to washing it frequently and keeping it shiny.

It's not like I abuse my car and run them through mud, salted roads without care. I just wash it when I get around to it after it has gotten dirty for a while (could be up to 3 weeks after getting dirty).

Like most have said, I also enjoy driving it as the key reason of owning this car. Of course, it gives me extra joy when I am driving around in it clean and shiny!!!
bnombe is offline   Canada
      09-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #19
FVM3
Major General

Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

its just a car, i never really care with the chip but trust me, i have much less chip and scratch then my friends who baby their cars . I park my car every where, no hand wash, wax once a year.
      09-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
Powerbeast
Major General

Drives: E90 M3 Dakar Yellow

Stop giving a shit and just enjoy the car man
Powerbeast is offline   United_States
      10-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #21
BMWsully
Enlisted Member

Drives: 370z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
Stop giving a shit and just enjoy the car man
LOL, yeah you're probably right.
      10-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #22
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72

Drives: Race car->

never heard of m3 with seat covers. ban. just kidding thats a little overkill and ghetto as well lose em. take it to the track and as another poster said you will cease to care. once lap times, tire temps, pad wear, threshold braking, camber adjustments, and perfect lines become a concern you have no time to think about the little stuff.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States