BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Racewerkz Engineering

07-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
Tobizach
Female Car Enthusiast

Drives: By the seat of her pants.

Carbon fiber roof + Keyed

Just curious as to the type of repairs, costs etc.. on repairs to the CF roof if some jerk keyed (deep) it. Anyone know? Sand and clearcoat mabey? I know some people with painted cf parts, but not clear like this, but im thinking its the same repair/paint wise.

Too lazy to look but is there an option to have the cf roof painted?
Tobizach is offline   United_States
      07-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
chicagobimmerboy
First Lieutenant

Drives: Un esotico Italiano ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobizach View Post
Just curious as to the type of repairs, costs etc.. on repairs to the CF roof if some jerk keyed (deep) it. Anyone know? Sand and clearcoat mabey? I know some people with painted cf parts, but not clear like this, but im thinking its the same repair/paint wise.

Too lazy to look but is there an option to have the cf roof painted?
I used to work at a BMW dealer and delt with similar situations with roofs of M6's, if the cut is deep enough it can damage the carbon weave which merits a new roof, cost? near $3000 on an M6 I dont imagine the M3 being any cheaper, its expensive because the composite lab must make a new one, they dont stock them.
chicagobimmerboy is offline   Italy
      07-29-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
Tobizach
Female Car Enthusiast

Thanks CB I kinda thought that would be the case if damage to roof is serious enough.
      07-30-2007, 04:34 AM   #4
esquire
Colonel

Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe

there are a couple of threads that address the issue of painting the CF roof. it can be done. the CF just needs to be sanded and appropriately primed.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
esquire is offline   United_States
      07-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
mkoesel

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobimmerboy View Post
I used to work at a BMW dealer and delt with similar situations with roofs of M6's, if the cut is deep enough it can damage the carbon weave which merits a new roof, cost? near $3000 on an M6 I dont imagine the M3 being any cheaper, its expensive because the composite lab must make a new one, they dont stock them.
$3k seems "cheap" actually. I would have figured upwards of $9k - $10k.
      07-30-2007, 11:10 AM   #6
Tobizach
Female Car Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
there are a couple of threads that address the issue of painting the CF roof. it can be done. the CF just needs to be sanded and appropriately primed.
Yes that I know thx... I meant an option from the factory when ordering, sorry should have been more clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
$3k seems "cheap" actually. I would have figured upwards of $9k - $10k.
Well whatever the cost, its the down/repair time that would suck.

Last edited by Tobizach; 07-30-2007 at 11:27 AM.
      07-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
E90330iS
Major General

Drives: E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to E90330iS Send a message via MSN to E90330iS Send a message via Skype™ to E90330iS
People must suck big time to key your roof.
E90330iS is offline   Germany
      08-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #8
Big Windy
Major General

Drives: audi s4

Garage List
9-10,000? the whole car only costs 60,000. you think that 1/6 of the price is the roof? you could also probably opt to have a standard color roof installed.
Big Windy is offline   United_States
      08-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
mkoesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
9-10,000? the whole car only costs 60,000. you think that 1/6 of the price is the roof?
You don't honestly believe that you can just add up the cost of all the parts and come up with the final price of the car do you?

Also, I was talking about the M6, not the M3.
      08-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
mkoesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt View Post
Closer to $1k tops would be my guess.
Right but there is little relationship between how much it costs BMW and how much they charge the customer.
      08-03-2007, 09:15 PM   #11
Big Windy
Major General

Drives: audi s4

Garage List
also very true, but i dont think that 9k for a roof on a 60k or whatever it is going to cost car makes any sense. bmw loves raping customers on maintenance and repair, but it is not that outrageous.
Big Windy is offline   United_States
      08-04-2007, 01:32 AM   #12
swamp2
Lieutenant General

Drives: E92 M3

Not correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt View Post
Closer to $1k tops would be my guess.

Ref: http://www.bond-laminates.de/en/index.php?nav=8.11

The carbon roofs are a thermoplastic/carbon matrix . Total cycle time to manufacture a roof would be approx 3 minutes.

http://www.bond-laminates.de/en/index.php?nav=3.02
That is not the right material. The roof of the M3 is carbon fiber, what you posted is closer to simple fiberglass. Also since the CF roof is formed by resin injection it is going to take a heck of a lot longer than 3 minutes to inject. CF parts are expensive for a variety of reason; 1 raw materials are very expensive, resin and CF (mostly the latter), 2 they take a lot of design and engineering work, 3 they take longer to manufacture.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
      08-04-2007, 01:47 AM   #13
Tobizach
Female Car Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant Win !!! View Post
Tobizach!!!! No offense. but you got some crazy shiznit going down if your worried about a car being keyed that you havent even bought yet. Sounds like you need a bodygaurd more than u need a new car...
Nah not worried just curious, thats why we pay insurance But hey it happens tho...

Oh and no need for a bodyguard, thats where my CCW and my glock come in
      08-04-2007, 05:00 AM   #14
kite

Drives: ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobimmerboy View Post

$3000 is cheap

look at this
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/02/i...ender-benders/

"(IIHS) just released a new report on the amount of monetary damages suffered by some luxury and near-luxury vehicles in low-speed impacts - parking lot mishaps and fender benders at 3 to 6 miles per hour"

"for instance, the IIHS found the Infiniti G35 had the highest repair bill. It totaled a whopping $14,000, which is quite a bit when the whole car retails for just $31,450"

14000/31450~0.44
      08-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
Caravello
Private

Drives: 2004 M3

Well, if a replacement key costs like $175 I can't imagine a repacement CF roof will be anywhere near $1,000. If this roof is as special as people seem to be saying, then the $3K sounds right to me. But I bet it runs higher by the time the M3 is out. $3K is what minor body damage repairs cost.
      08-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #16
Garrett
Banned

Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravello View Post
Well, if a replacement key costs like $175 I can't imagine a repacement CF roof will be anywhere near $1,000. If this roof is as special as people seem to be saying, then the $3K sounds right to me. But I bet it runs higher by the time the M3 is out. $3K is what minor body damage repairs cost.

This whole thread is pointless. How many people have had their roofs keyed..?

The coating on the CF roof is no less durable than a steel roof. You don't have to repaint or even buff out a CF roof IF it gets keys, because there is no steel to rust.

The intergrity of the roof is not in question, you can just reseal it if, somehow a mountain lion ends up on the roof of your car and start digging in. Hell, my hockey stick is CF and I beat the hell out of it, never have I gone threw the coating to the CF resin under it.

Do people sit at home all day and think of pointless scenarios.....

-Garrett
      08-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
Tobizach
Female Car Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
This whole thread is pointless. How many people have had their roofs keyed..?

The coating on the CF roof is no less durable than a steel roof. You don't have to repaint or even buff out a CF roof IF it gets keys, because there is no steel to rust.

The intergrity of the roof is not in question, you can just reseal it if, somehow a mountain lion ends up on the roof of your car and start digging in. Hell, my hockey stick is CF and I beat the hell out of it, never have I gone threw the coating to the CF resin under it.

Do people sit at home all day and think of pointless scenarios.....

-Garrett
Home?? LOL mabey for you. No we sit at work all day and think up this stuff

Good grief "The intergrity of the roof is not in question"

Well after looking at some of your posts I see you luv giving wiseass "im a genius and everyone else is a moron" remarks to other peoples questions or views. What is your problem? Cant a person ask a question just out of pure curiosity? This is a public forum, the questions on topic. And yes Professor everyone knows that if someone keys this roof it its not going to rust and or fail (you think your the only one who knows these things?)

But it is going to leave a wicked cut or mark (ive seen cf hoods that were damaged buy keys and a boxcutter) and I bet you'll see it more than swirls on a black car Then again mabey you dont care what your ride looks like... I dont know..

And lastly whats so pointless about damage repairs (never had a car hated on I guess) or asking if there is a painted roof option? Not any more pointless that arguing about rival cars, gearing ratios and engine compression.

"Pointless" you should really take another look at that term before you use it again.