BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
DKM3
Bimmerpost Special Prosecutor II
DKM3's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
259
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (2)

-=review: MIKE BENVO TUNE - And I thought my NA M3 was fast before=-

After getting a full blown CiC Retrofit (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695241) from Mike I made the decision to go all out and tune my car with some added toys.

My setup consisted of:
-AFE scoops
-AFE stage 2 intake
-RPI X-Pipe test pipes (Thank you Trinity Motorsports! Shout out)
-Agency Power Cat Back (The agency guys create a beautiful exhaust and offer amazing support).

-Euro DCT (Benvo added)
-Euro MDM (Benvo added)

BENVO TUNED:

After consulting Mike about what type of changes we should make I took the plunge.

Wow! I finally found that lowend torque I've been looking for in my M3 for a long time. 2500-4500 pulls hard and it doesn't stop. It was lacking so much there before. I had the following changes in my tune so far

NOTE: some of the changes may be a bit over my head to talk about confidently / proprietary to Mike's tune. From what I understand my test pipes allow for more timing and cylinder fill.

-No cold start (now I don't wake up the neighborhood)
-Advanced tuning of my VANOS timing, cam adjustments, higher resolution of maps at the high end
-Emissions fault cleared/off
-Remapped Sport, and Sport+
-Raised redline and optimized top end maps

RESULT: wow, omg, holy sh*t! This is how an M3 is supposed to feel. The tune was so noticeable it literally changed the sound of my car from a nasty v8 to a more refined and exotic racing engine. The thing is a beast! I literally feel like I'm 5 years old again. The car just begs to be floored.

Mike literally tuned my file by hand, byte by byte. He wanted my input to tailor the car to what I wanted and how I drove (well how I would drive with the M button on ). I felt like I was being fitted for a fine Italian suit and the service was unbelievable. Mike's quality of service is unbelievable. He does what only a few brands can do - He makes you feel special and as if your the only client and purpose he has. This attention to detail and service are second to none.

If you're the type of guy who dreams of having, has custom tailored suits, or just like that professional attention Mike is for you. With Mike you're a client not a customer.

Thank you again Mr. Benvo!


UPDATE 2 - May - Sept (4-5 months) AFTER
--------------------------------------------------
No errors thrown! The tune is perfect. Looking forward to the newest tunes with my end user cable.

UPDATE 1 - TRIP UP TO SF
----------------------------
So after the tune I had to drive up to SF for the startup that I'm advising on over the summer. I decided to take PCH up to the 101 then the 1. For the first leg I decided to drop by the BMW engine development center.

After the 101 came the amazing 1. Everyone on the forum who loves driving should at least do it once in they're life. I'm almost surprised that top gear haven't made something out of it because the drive literally transports you to the isle of man.

On the drive the car was a beast. It was SO easy to control. Euro MDM gave me that little extra comfort I needed but to tell you the truth I just cruised because what's the point to being reckless? The tune Mike did gave me the torque in the ranges I needed to just lay back with windows down, listening to my exhaust, and enjoying the beauty that is the 1. Anyone second guessing a tune by Benvo should take comfort in the fact that the car was comfortable yet powerful when needed and most importantly: reliable. Mike is a custom tuner and though my tune may be catered to me and my driving style the same techniques are employed in his other tunes. His tunes truly = Power + Emotion which I believe is hard to find.

Last edited by DKM3; 09-25-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
I'm excited to get my tune from him as well.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Stealth ///M
Banned
3
Rep
283
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

I want to know more! I just had him update my oem software to 231E version. If i had known about this, I would had done it!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
Raptor251's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
870
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I'm excited to get my tune from him as well.
In for reviews! I know we can always trust you for your honest opinion so hurry up already!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
In for reviews! I know we can always trust you for your honest opinion so hurry up already!
HAHA!! You know it!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Cal@Sonic MS
Cal@Sonic MS's Avatar
United_States
194
Rep
4,653
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: earth

iTrader: (2)

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Trevor .:R
Captain
United_States
14
Rep
672
Posts

 
Drives: 11 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Thousand Oaks/Camarillo/Westlake

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
11 M3  [5.00]
Dark! I love the car and review ! Please try the Rpi induction kid! I bet more power. The BMC filter and the Rpi scoops! Agency is ok i was told but id do RPI's full system!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Porschefile
Major
Porschefile's Avatar
16
Rep
1,233
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (6)

Nice review, I may get Mike to tune/code mine in the near future too I've heard nothing but good things and I'd like to get some stuff coded that the other tuners don't offer (to my knowledge anyway).
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor .:R View Post
Please try the Rpi induction kid! I bet more power. The BMC filter and the Rpi scoops! Agency is ok i was told but id do RPI's full system!
Are you serious?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
CanAutM3
Brigadier General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
72
Rep
4,374
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [4.75]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3 View Post
After getting a full blown CiC Retrofit (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695241) from Mike I made the decision to go all out and tune my car with some added toys.

My setup consisted of:
-AFE scoops
-AFE stage 2 intake
-RPI X-Pipe test pipes (Thank you Trinity Motorsports! Shout out)
-Agency Power Cat Back (The agency guys create a beautiful exhaust and offer amazing support).

-Euro DCT (Benvo added)
-Euro MDM (Benvo added)

BENVO TUNED:

After consulting Mike about what type of changes we should make I took the plunge.

Wow! I finally found that lowend torque I've been looking for in my M3 for a long time. 2500-4500 pulls hard and it doesn't stop. It was lacking so much there before. I had the following changes in my tune so far

NOTE: some of the changes may be a bit over my head to talk about confidently / proprietary to Mike's tune. From what I understand my test pipes allow for more timing and cylinder fill.

-No cold start (now I don't wake up the neighborhood)
-Advanced tuning of my VANOS timing, cam adjustments, higher resolution of maps at the high end
-Emissions fault cleared/off
-Remapped Sport, and Sport+
-Raised redline and optimized top end maps

RESULT: wow, omg, holy sh*t! This is how an M3 is supposed to feel. The tune was so noticeable it literally changed the sound of my car from a nasty v8 to a more refined and exotic racing engine. The thing is a beast! I literally feel like I'm 5 years old again. The car just begs to be floored.

Mike literally tuned my file by hand, byte by byte. He wanted my input to tailor the car to what I wanted and how I drove (well how I would drive with the M button on ). I felt like I was being fitted for a fine Italian suit and the service was unbelievable. Mike's quality of service is unbelievable. He does what only a few brands can do - He makes you feel special and as if your the only client and purpose he has. This attention to detail and service are second to none.

If you're the type of guy who dreams of having, has custom tailored suits, or just like that professional attention Mike is for you. With Mike you're a client not a customer.

Thank you again Mr. Benvo!
Can you elaborate on Euro DCT? I believe the car defaults to D2 (instead of S3) at start-up on the Euro version, but are there other differences?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
M3 Montreal
Colonel
30
Rep
2,188
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal , Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3 View Post
After getting a full blown CiC Retrofit (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695241) from Mike I made the decision to go all out and tune my car with some added toys.

My setup consisted of:
-AFE scoops
-AFE stage 2 intake
-RPI X-Pipe test pipes (Thank you Trinity Motorsports! Shout out)
-Agency Power Cat Back (The agency guys create a beautiful exhaust and offer amazing support).

-Euro DCT (Benvo added)
-Euro MDM (Benvo added)

BENVO TUNED:

After consulting Mike about what type of changes we should make I took the plunge.

Wow! I finally found that lowend torque I've been looking for in my M3 for a long time. 2500-4500 pulls hard and it doesn't stop. It was lacking so much there before. I had the following changes in my tune so far

NOTE: some of the changes may be a bit over my head to talk about confidently / proprietary to Mike's tune. From what I understand my test pipes allow for more timing and cylinder fill.

-No cold start (now I don't wake up the neighborhood)
-Advanced tuning of my VANOS timing, cam adjustments, higher resolution of maps at the high end
-Emissions fault cleared/off
-Remapped Sport, and Sport+
-Raised redline and optimized top end maps

RESULT: wow, omg, holy sh*t! This is how an M3 is supposed to feel. The tune was so noticeable it literally changed the sound of my car from a nasty v8 to a more refined and exotic racing engine. The thing is a beast! I literally feel like I'm 5 years old again. The car just begs to be floored.

Mike literally tuned my file by hand, byte by byte. He wanted my input to tailor the car to what I wanted and how I drove (well how I would drive with the M button on ). I felt like I was being fitted for a fine Italian suit and the service was unbelievable. Mike's quality of service is unbelievable. He does what only a few brands can do - He makes you feel special and as if your the only client and purpose he has. This attention to detail and service are second to none.

If you're the type of guy who dreams of having, has custom tailored suits, or just like that professional attention Mike is for you. With Mike you're a client not a customer.

Thank you again Mr. Benvo!
Can you elaborate on Euro DCT? I believe the car defaults to D2 (instead of S3) at start-up on the Euro version, but are there other differences?
Plus 1... What's euro DCT?

I've heard of euro MDM but not euro DCT.
__________________
2012 E92-M3 Space Grey on Fox Red, DCT

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
stefan
Colonel
stefan's Avatar
Canada
29
Rep
2,145
Posts

 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor .:R View Post
The BMC filter and the Rpi scoops!

So strange the scoops are so prevalent on this forum.. you wouldn't think...

Also the tune is mainly for the test pipes, correct?
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #13
kotik
Captain
kotik's Avatar
19
Rep
630
Posts

 
Drives: F80 aw 6spd
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Monterey, CA

iTrader: (0)

what's euro mdm?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
hotbrick
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
13
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Interlagos E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ft Lauderdale

iTrader: (0)

Nice review, but what did he charge you for the tune?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbrick View Post
Nice review, but what did he charge you for the tune?
He got a lot more done than a tune. Just PM Mike for a price.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,092
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Do we have an answer on what Euro DCT is, besides defaulting to D2 instead of S3 at startup?
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
PhoenixM3
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
31
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Napoli, Italia

iTrader: (0)

Mike, I want to be a customer.....

But Dude, you have to respond to my email.


Jeff
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixM3 View Post
But Dude, you have to respond to my email.


Jeff
Since his recent excursion to the East Coast, he's been a bit behind on the emails. He is planning to be current by the end of the week. Keep hope alive!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,092
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Do we have an answer on what Euro DCT is, besides defaulting to D2 instead of S3 at startup?
Bump.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
329
Rep
10,632
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Do we have an answer on what Euro DCT is, besides defaulting to D2 instead of S3 at startup?
I've been running EU DCT since December, and regularly see track/street use.

With the EU flash, the transmission will default in S5 in manual mode (or S3, whichever you left it at). Otherwise, there is no improvement in shifting firmness/speed compared to US file. We've programmed a couple of local M3s with it and monitored over the months - it's not enough to label this as "performance".

IMHO, it's more of a convenience decision than performance-based. Hope this helps.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #21
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I've been running EU DCT since December, and regularly see track/street use.

With the EU flash, the transmission will default in S5 in manual mode (or S3, whichever you left it at). Otherwise, there is no improvement in shifting firmness/speed compared to US file. We've programmed a couple of local M3s with it and monitored over the months - it's not enough to label this as "performance".

IMHO, it's more of a convenience decision than performance-based. Hope this helps.
Nice. I for one am tired of pushing the right side of the button twice (S3 to S5) each time I start the engine.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #22
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,092
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Nice. I for one am tired of pushing the right side of the button twice (S3 to S5) each time I start the engine.
Then push the "M" button once instead

Thanks for clarifying, Tom.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST