BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Alpine HID
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
robbiedawg
Lieutenant
 
robbiedawg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 ib e90 m3, 1995 acura nsx
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: chapel hill, nc

Posts: 453
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 ACURA NSX-T  [0.00]
Bilstein Heavy Duty Shocks, No Edc,anyone Tried Them?

i searched,didn't see anything.here is a link to what i'm talking about-
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...08-wo-edc.aspx

the hd's are the shocks that work with stock springs,which i want to keep.the sport shocks work with lowering springs.

my car is street-driven,sometimes aggressively,37k miles,stock suspension with oem 19's and michelin pss.i'm looking for a bit better handling and control,close to oem ride quality.usually at 50k or so,stock shocks start to show signs of wear.i'm thinking of upgrading before too long to get the benefit.

the bmw tech who works on my car said the oem shocks are pretty close to these.
__________________
~ TRAFFIC LAWYER IN CENTRAL NC ~
2OO8 E90 M3 /// INTERLAGOS BLUE w/BAMBOO BEIGE, CARBON LEATHER / 6MT / 19" 220M FORGED WHEELS / PREMIUM / MOONROOF / IPOD / BSW SPEAKERS


~EVERYTHING IN MODERATION,INCLUDING MODERATION ~
robbiedawg is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,419
iTrader: (2)

I know you're looking for feedback/info on the Bilstein HD dampers but I have no experience with them on the e9x M3 (did have a set on an e30 a long time ago)...however, have you considered the TCK/Koni SA dampers? There are a few advantages of the TCK SA damper over the Bilstein HD: (1) rebound adjustable from the top so you can control ride quality with a quick turn of the knob (increase damping for "aggressive" driving; decrease damping for a great DD street ride), (2) custom TCK damping and bumpstops on the Koni "yellows", (3) able to run at stock ride height or even a mild/large drop, depending on what you want, and finally (4) these dampers have been around for quite awhile so they are pretty much "bulletproof" - install and forget about them!

Sorry for no input on, or help with, the Bistein HDs...
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I know you're looking for feedback/info on the Bilstein HD dampers but I have no experience with them on the e9x M3 (did have a set on an e30 a long time ago)...however, have you considered the TCK/Koni SA dampers? There are a few advantages of the TCK SA damper over the Bilstein HD: (1) rebound adjustable from the top so you can control ride quality with a quick turn of the knob (increase damping for "aggressive" driving; decrease damping for a great DD street ride), (2) custom TCK damping and bumpstops on the Koni "yellows", (3) able to run at stock ride height or even a mild/large drop, depending on what you want, and finally (4) these dampers have been around for quite awhile so they are pretty much "bulletproof" - install and forget about them!

Sorry for no input on, or help with, the Bistein HDs...
Which TCK SA damper works on the E92 M3s? I looked at there website and the TCK SA yellow koni dampers are for all 1 and 3 series, they dont state that they are for M3's.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Wendall is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,419
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Which TCK SA damper works on the E92 M3s? I looked at there website and the TCK SA yellow koni dampers are for all 1 and 3 series, they dont state that they are for M3's.
Here you go...
http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs.../Details15.cfm

BTW, the F dampers are painted white; the R dampers yellow.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Here you go...
http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs.../Details15.cfm

BTW, the F dampers are painted white; the R dampers yellow.
Great thanks! Has anyone tried this kit? I wonder how the performance is vs. KW V3s.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Wendall is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,419
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Great thanks! Has anyone tried this kit? I wonder how the performance is vs. KW V3s.
I've used this kit with 400/600 and 400/672 lbf/in spring rates. PM me if you want a review - don't want to upset KW owners
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
robbiedawg
Lieutenant
 
robbiedawg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 ib e90 m3, 1995 acura nsx
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: chapel hill, nc

Posts: 453
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 ACURA NSX-T  [0.00]
thanks for mentioning an alternative.i'm looking to just replace shocks,no new springs which the setup you mentioned appears to have.

anyone just replace the shocks?
__________________
~ TRAFFIC LAWYER IN CENTRAL NC ~
2OO8 E90 M3 /// INTERLAGOS BLUE w/BAMBOO BEIGE, CARBON LEATHER / 6MT / 19" 220M FORGED WHEELS / PREMIUM / MOONROOF / IPOD / BSW SPEAKERS


~EVERYTHING IN MODERATION,INCLUDING MODERATION ~
robbiedawg is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
robbiedawg
Lieutenant
 
robbiedawg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 ib e90 m3, 1995 acura nsx
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: chapel hill, nc

Posts: 453
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 ACURA NSX-T  [0.00]
bumping my old thread to see if anyone has used these to replace oem shocks on stock suspension,wondering how they handle and if the ride is harsher.
__________________
~ TRAFFIC LAWYER IN CENTRAL NC ~
2OO8 E90 M3 /// INTERLAGOS BLUE w/BAMBOO BEIGE, CARBON LEATHER / 6MT / 19" 220M FORGED WHEELS / PREMIUM / MOONROOF / IPOD / BSW SPEAKERS


~EVERYTHING IN MODERATION,INCLUDING MODERATION ~
robbiedawg is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST