BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
41
Rep
1,114
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

How can I make my exhaust louder ?

E92 M3 with CNT Racing exhaust. I like the sound of the exhaust especially for the price. But in my opinion this exhaust is not very loud. When downshifting the exhaust sounds pretty mean. But in higher revs I feel there's not a ton of sound. What can be done to get a louder exhaust note throughout the entire rev range? I also want to pass emissions in PA which is a bit strict. Any suggestions?
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
520
Rep
5,360
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
E92 M3 with CNT Racing exhaust. I like the sound of the exhaust especially for the price. But in my opinion this exhaust is not very loud. When downshifting the exhaust sounds pretty mean. But in higher revs I feel there's not a ton of sound. What can be done to get a louder exhaust note throughout the entire rev range? I also want to pass emissions in PA which is a bit strict. Any suggestions?
Just add test pipes .
Here is how it sounds..CNT + Test pipes ....

__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
Weyne Masters
Private First Class
3
Rep
118
Posts

Drives: 328 F30
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brazil

iTrader: (0)

remove the muffler, use direct.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
520
Rep
5,360
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyne Masters View Post
remove the muffler, use direct.
Crazy drone !
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #5
squartus
Lieutenant
United_States
28
Rep
473
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [5.00]
Yep just delete the primary cats/midpipes. Give a fair ammount more sound as well as some decent HP gains for 300 bucks or so.
__________________


ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft.. etc
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
41
Rep
1,114
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squartus View Post
Yep just delete the primary cats/midpipes. Give a fair ammount more sound as well as some decent HP gains for 300 bucks or so.
Is this method your recommending using the test pipes? Would the car still pass emissions and have no engine lights on? I apologize for the stupid questions. I just had nothing but issues with my last car which was a 335i today catless. It was horrible trying to find someone to pass me for inspection. So your recommending replacing the primary cats/midpipes with test pipes?
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #7
Dave07997S
Colonel
62
Rep
2,777
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: El Segundo, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Is this method your recommending using the test pipes? Would the car still pass emissions and have no engine lights on? I apologize for the stupid questions. I just had nothing but issues with my last car which was a 335i today catless. It was horrible trying to find someone to pass me for inspection. So your recommending replacing the primary cats/midpipes with test pipes?

You need to do a search, this has been covered ad-nausea. If you don't want to do the testpipes (which will cause a SES light to illuminate) just remove the rear cats.

If you do end up doing the test pipes, you will either live with the SES light or get a tune. Just buy a used OEM xpipe that you can cut to put the test pipes on, and replace when its time for inspection.

Also, I found the CNT mufflers to be quite tame. Go with a Borla ATAK or something more aggressive. There will be no horsepower increase but you will get more volume.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow VMRV810 19x10&19X11 275/295 Mich PSS.
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
fastmike
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

No one has recommended the OEM exhaust mod? Sounds great and still passes visual and emissions. Low investment too $300
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #9
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
41
Rep
1,114
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmike View Post
No one has recommended the OEM exhaust mod? Sounds great and still passes visual and emissions. Low investment too $300
What is the OEM exhaust mod? I already have the CNT Racing rear exhaust. So I'm just trying to see if there's anything I can do to make it louder.
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #10
webninja
Second Lieutenant
United_States
7
Rep
264
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: LA

iTrader: (2)

If you already have an aftermarket exhaust, the OEM exhaust mod is not for you. Plus it's not very loud, which is why I had it done.

If you have to pass emissions, you might just want to get a louder rear section, and not mess with test pipes.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #11
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
520
Rep
5,360
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
What is the OEM exhaust mod? I already have the CNT Racing rear exhaust. So I'm just trying to see if there's anything I can do to make it louder.
Here is the DIY of my Oem. exhaust mod.with pics and video => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #12
beyondM
Private First Class
1
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: 08 AW E92 M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (2)

Sounds like you should just sell your current exhaust and get something louder. Test pipe is an option but then you'll need a tune to pass inspection. Easily 900+ for a tune. Do some research on youtube to hear different exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #13
dparm
Lieutenant Colonel
dparm's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,517
Posts

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
E92 M3 with CNT Racing exhaust. I like the sound of the exhaust especially for the price. But in my opinion this exhaust is not very loud. When downshifting the exhaust sounds pretty mean. But in higher revs I feel there's not a ton of sound. What can be done to get a louder exhaust note throughout the entire rev range? I also want to pass emissions in PA which is a bit strict. Any suggestions?

At high RPM the motor is really screaming. Short of removing the resonators and/or muffler, it's going to be mostly engine noise at WOT near redline.

Don't you want to hear the S65 sing?
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 06:18 AM   #14
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
41
Rep
1,114
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
At high RPM the motor is really screaming. Short of removing the resonators and/or muffler, it's going to be mostly engine noise at WOT near redline.

Don't you want to hear the S65 sing?
Actually I love the sound of the S65. I feel I hear that over the exhaust. I just love the sound of the E92 M3 with exhaust. Im also happy with the CNT Racing exhaust especially for $380 shipped. But Id just like a bit more grunt and volume. With the cost of all other axle back exhausts I really don't have the budget to sell this one and buy a new rear section. So I was just looking for other options. But I guess most options cost a decent amount of money or will cause emissions issues which I don't want..
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:12 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST