BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
noremaC
.
United_States
34
Rep
347
Posts

Drives: e92m
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (2)

While replacing coolant thermostat....

...Is there anything I should replace while I'm in there?

Plugs? Coolant connectors?

Thanks!
__________________
2008 Interlagos/Black e92 m3 - Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 & DCT Tune | BWS Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
84
Rep
1,769
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: So. Cal

iTrader: (10)

If plugs have more than 30,000 miles I'd just replace them since air box is already off.

Lube the throttle actuator linkages until no more squeaky sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 07:50 AM   #3
deansbimmer
Is knee deep in projects.
deansbimmer's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
1,128
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you lube the butterflies and springs to eliminate noise, remember to not put any lubes of any kind on the plastic ball clevises. Lubricants there will attract grit and debris which will introduce slop over time. One engine I serviced someone had lubed those and the eventual slop he caused created codes that made it seem like his actuators had started to fail.

Other than that, just replace the sensor. There's not much that needs to be serviced there preventatively unless you're miles are nearing 100k.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
noremaC
.
United_States
34
Rep
347
Posts

Drives: e92m
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
If you lube the butterflies and springs to eliminate noise, remember to not put any lubes of any kind on the plastic ball clevises. Lubricants there will attract grit and debris which will introduce slop over time. One engine I serviced someone had lubed those and the eventual slop he caused created codes that made it seem like his actuators had started to fail.

Other than that, just replace the sensor. There's not much that needs to be serviced there preventatively unless you're miles are nearing 100k.
Thanks.

I'm at 86k, currently.

And I just replaced both throttle body actuators 2k miles ago.
__________________
2008 Interlagos/Black e92 m3 - Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 & DCT Tune | BWS Coilovers

Last edited by noremaC; 01-14-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
JsL
Captain
United_States
118
Rep
614
Posts

Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP VF540
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
If you lube the butterflies and springs to eliminate noise, remember to not put any lubes of any kind on the plastic ball clevises. Lubricants there will attract grit and debris which will introduce slop over time. One engine I serviced someone had lubed those and the eventual slop he caused created codes that made it seem like his actuators had started to fail.

Other than that, just replace the sensor. There's not much that needs to be serviced there preventatively unless you're miles are nearing 100k.
What is the correct lube to use and is there a diy?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
JsL
Captain
United_States
118
Rep
614
Posts

Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP VF540
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremaC View Post
...Is there anything I should replace while I'm in there?

Plugs? Coolant connectors?

Thanks!
Here's the diy in case you missed it http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928400

There are 4 orings p/n 11537835497 that are $2.50 each that would be nice while you have it apart https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/11537835497/


The coolant temp sensor p/n 13621433076 while you're at it? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/13621433076/
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 04:15 PM   #7
TWiTCHY
Colonel
TWiTCHY's Avatar
United_States
145
Rep
2,331
Posts

Drives: '08 SSII E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bellevue, WA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Here's the diy in case you missed it http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928400

There are 4 orings p/n 11537835497 that are $2.50 each that would be nice while you have it apart https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/11537835497/


The coolant temp sensor p/n 13621433076 while you're at it? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/13621433076/
+1

I replaced the o-rings and temperature sensor as well. Careful when reseating those couplings with the o-rings. Somehow I managed to snag an o-ring while putting it back in and ended up destroying it. Didn't know until I leaked out all my coolant during a 15 minutes test drive. Either be prepared to re-use an old one or purchase a spare.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #8
deansbimmer
Is knee deep in projects.
deansbimmer's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
1,128
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
What is the correct lube to use and is there a diy?
I don't recommend lubricating anything up there and neither does BMW, so there is no 'correct' lube. It's not a sealed area so putting oils there can cause more bad than good as dirt builds up there. You can't hear them when the engine is running so it really shouldn't matter if they're a little noisy when it's off. I specifically wanted to post the hazard of oiling the plastic clevises but people can do what they want.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 12:15 AM   #9
monterey
Captain
monterey's Avatar
76
Rep
769
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Change the water pump too
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #10
VictorH
Captain
92
Rep
918
Posts

Drives: '09 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SC

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey View Post
Change the water pump too
Why? The water pumps have been reliable. I've done thermostat replacement and temp sensor replacement (preventative), but I don't see the utility for replacing a part that seems to be durable and hasn't given (maybe not many, haven't seen much if anything on the forums re the water pump) anyone any trouble.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:25 AM   #11
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
Locksmythe's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Here's the diy in case you missed it http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928400

There are 4 orings p/n 11537835497 that are $2.50 each that would be nice while you have it apart https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/11537835497/


The coolant temp sensor p/n 13621433076 while you're at it? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/13621433076/
The O-rings on the hoses at the front of the housing are different. I didn't buy these when I got my parts, so of course I am sure I nicked one of them. I wish I had run the engine before I reassembled the plenum and airbox. I have a leak in there somewhere now.

Is there a recommended technique for the reassembly? Or maybe a part number for the orings that fit inside the connectors at the front?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #12
doogee
Captain
doogee's Avatar
Canada
178
Rep
749
Posts

Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Why? The water pumps have been reliable. I've done thermostat replacement and temp sensor replacement (preventative), but I don't see the utility for replacing a part that seems to be durable and hasn't given (maybe not many, haven't seen much if anything on the forums re the water pump) anyone any trouble.
Because it's cheap, you're right there and why wait for it to fail and leave you stranded?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:31 AM   #13
Richbot
Brigadier General
377
Rep
3,371
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Because it's cheap, you're right there and why wait for it to fail and leave you stranded?
Because replacing a good part with a broken one is a real possibility anytime you install a new part "preventatively"? Because that thinking can snowball into why not replace the whole car while you're in there?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #14
doogee
Captain
doogee's Avatar
Canada
178
Rep
749
Posts

Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Because replacing a good part with a broken one is a real possibility anytime you install a new part "preventatively"? Because that thinking can snowball into why not replace the whole car while you're in there?
Okay easy now, preventative maintenance is important within reason. I'm not saying to change all the pullies and engine accessories too.

I dont like the risk of waiting for parts to fail. I could be sitting in traffic or at a track day and a waterpump failure is sure to ruin my day when I could of spent under $200 to not have to worry about it for years.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #15
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
Locksmythe's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Water pump is $500, so not trivial for an unnecessary repair.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #16
doogee
Captain
doogee's Avatar
Canada
178
Rep
749
Posts

Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksmythe View Post
Water pump is $500, so not trivial for an unnecessary repair.
Not sure where you're getting your prices but I paid $195 and I have to pay the Canada tax!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:45 PM   #17
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
Locksmythe's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Not sure where you're getting your prices but I paid $195 and I have to pay the Canada tax!
https://getbmwparts.com/parts/2009/B...&siteid=214672
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #18
doogee
Captain
doogee's Avatar
Canada
178
Rep
749
Posts

Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksmythe View Post
Look elsewhere, that is way overpriced.

http://www.autopartsway.com/partlist.../pagenum1/tabs

$150 while you're in there is a no brainer for me.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #19
JsL
Captain
United_States
118
Rep
614
Posts

Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP VF540
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksmythe View Post
The O-rings on the hoses at the front of the housing are different. I didn't buy these when I got my parts, so of course I am sure I nicked one of them. I wish I had run the engine before I reassembled the plenum and airbox. I have a leak in there somewhere now.

Is there a recommended technique for the reassembly? Or maybe a part number for the orings that fit inside the connectors at the front?

Thanks!
Crap, so I bought to wrong orings...

check out ECS's Thermostat replacement kit: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...11537836155kt/

FWIW, It shows 4 of the same Orings.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #20
deansbimmer
Is knee deep in projects.
deansbimmer's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
1,128
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you look on ebay there is a seller blowing out some new in box genuine BMW water pumps for $150. I picked up a couple...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #21
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
Locksmythe's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Crap, so I bought to wrong orings...

check out ECS's Thermostat replacement kit: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...11537836155kt/

FWIW, It shows 4 of the same Orings.
Where do the 4 Orings go? I only had 2 like this on the housing. Should they have been doubled up?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 08:26 PM   #22
deansbimmer
Is knee deep in projects.
deansbimmer's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
1,128
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksmythe View Post
Where do the 4 Orings go? I only had 2 like this on the housing. Should they have been doubled up?
Those two small tubes separate from the main thermostat housing and transfer pipe. There are two o-rings per pipe, 4 total.

Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST