BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-16-2015, 06:53 AM   #1
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
53
Rep
1,147
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Cleaning buffing pads?

I just bought a used porter cable that came with a bunch of 6.5 inch pads. But they look pretty dirty. How could I clean these pads instead of replacing them?
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
flynscot
Private
United_States
15
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: E-90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Chemical guys has a pad cleaner that works well for removing the polish from the pads. Spray it on, then let it soak in warm water for about 10 minutes. Works great.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
XxMerlinxX
Private First Class
XxMerlinxX's Avatar
9
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Greenville, S.C.

iTrader: (0)

Dawn Power Dissolver and hot water.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
152
Rep
2,942
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX View Post
Dawn Power Dissolver and hot water.
+1

Works great. Spray on power dissolver and then rub and rinse.

I used to buy it from Walmart off the shelf but it looks like it's not available anymore. It looks like you can buy it from Amazon labeled as a professional product.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
32
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

I have had good luck with Chemical Guys pad cleaner.
__________________
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
rjd598
Major General
rjd598's Avatar
United_States
307
Rep
5,926
Posts

Drives: E90 M3/ F30 328i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX View Post
Dawn Power Dissolver and hot water.
this is a good method. spray some undiluted apc if you have some on it and let it sit in hot water mixed in with the dawn as well. don't worry about staining
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
53
Rep
1,147
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX View Post
Dawn Power Dissolver and hot water.
Is this anything similar to dawn dish detergent? Reason I ask is because I plan on washing the pads so I can buff the car this weekend but if I order online I most likely won't receive the cleaner in time...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
152
Rep
2,942
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Is this anything similar to dawn dish detergent? Reason I ask is because I plan on washing the pads so I can buff the car this weekend but if I order online I most likely won't receive the cleaner in time...
Power Disolver is not dish washing detergent. It is a spray that you spray on and then the polish just dissolves as you rinse out the pad. It is pretty powerful stuff. I guess that is why they don't sell it off the shelf anymore in retail stores.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #9
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
53
Rep
1,147
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Power Disolver is not dish washing detergent. It is a spray that you spray on and then the polish just dissolves as you rinse out the pad. It is pretty powerful stuff. I guess that is why they don't sell it off the shelf anymore in retail stores.
Thank you for the input Also do you have any idea if buffing pads can be purchased at any kind of local store such as pepboys or can they only be ordered online?
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #10
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
152
Rep
2,942
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Thank you for the input Also do you have any idea if buffing pads can be purchased at any kind of local store such as pepboys or can they only be ordered online?
Most polishers enthusiasts or detailers use have a velcro back plate that hooks up to the pad that way. You will not find anything like that at local stores.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #11
XxMerlinxX
Private First Class
XxMerlinxX's Avatar
9
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Greenville, S.C.

iTrader: (0)

Advance Auto has Griot's Garage 6.5" polishing pads.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #12
XxMerlinxX
Private First Class
XxMerlinxX's Avatar
9
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Greenville, S.C.

iTrader: (0)

Just checked Walmart's website, evidently Power Dissolver has been discontinued and is only sold as a "professional" cleaner now through online retailers. I've heard Greased Lightning works on pads also, I'll pick up a bottle today and give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #13
mills84
Private
6
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: York, PA

iTrader: (0)

I use the lake country snappy clean powder from detailed image. I divide 1 pack up and it gets me 2-3 cleanings. I've never tried anything else.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 05:20 AM   #14
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
53
Rep
1,147
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX View Post
Advance Auto has Griot's Garage 6.5" polishing pads.
Thank you for the info. Ill check them out.
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 05:23 AM   #15
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
53
Rep
1,147
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills84 View Post
I use the lake country snappy clean powder from detailed image. I divide 1 pack up and it gets me 2-3 cleanings. I've never tried anything else.
Thats what I was recommended by Detailed Image. I think Im going to get the snappy clean powder. Seems like an affordable product. By the way this is going to be the first time for me using a porter cable or any kind of power buffer so Im pretty nervous. How do you buff the small areas on the car such as the paint just above the door between the roof and door? Or just any small area?
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #16
Beemdog
Woof!
Beemdog's Avatar
United_States
175
Rep
1,245
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sonoma Cownty, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Thats what I was recommended by Detailed Image. I think Im going to get the snappy clean powder. Seems like an affordable product. By the way this is going to be the first time for me using a porter cable or any kind of power buffer so Im pretty nervous. How do you buff the small areas on the car such as the paint just above the door between the roof and door? Or just any small area?
You can use the edge of the polishing pad on small surfaces. In general, avoid ridge lines and edges with any fast cut compound as you can burn through the clear coat. There are also small pad versions of orbital polishers such as the one sold by Griot's Garage.

When new to machine polishing, best to use a fine/finishing polish to get the hang of it, nothing too aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 06:24 PM   #17
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
53
Rep
1,147
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
You can use the edge of the polishing pad on small surfaces. In general, avoid ridge lines and edges with any fast cut compound as you can burn through the clear coat. There are also small pad versions of orbital polishers such as the one sold by Griot's Garage.

When new to machine polishing, best to use a fine/finishing polish to get the hang of it, nothing too aggressive.
Thank you for the advice. When I bought the porter cable used it came with pinnacle fine swirl remover 2, ultra fine swirl remover 1, carnauba finishing glaze, and s
Xmt 180 high gloss carnauba wax. Also a variety of lake country 6.5" pads of which are kinda beat up. So I've ordered some new 5.5" pads from detailed image being my pads are beat up and 6.5" which seems a bit big for a 5" backing plate. I just did the trunk lid only using the swirl remover 2 with an orange pad, swirl remover 1 with gray pad(because I don't have white pad yet), and finishing glaze with a blue pad. 6.5" was too big for the 5" backing plate. But the trunk lid looks better except for where it meets the little trunk lip. Not sure if those scratches were there, or if I caused them? Could I have caused those scratches?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #18
Beemdog
Woof!
Beemdog's Avatar
United_States
175
Rep
1,245
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sonoma Cownty, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
If the car was pretty clean and free of any grit when you started, it is unlikely you caused the scratches. The area immediately in front of the rear lip does trap bits of junk and can accumulate scratches as people wipe off the car over the years (especially dry wiping it). Scratches from a polisher would generally be semi-circular in shape, rather than linear. Also, as you bring up the surface gloss of a vehicle, some imperfections that were not visible or obvious can show up that were previously masked by a dull finish.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #19
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
53
Rep
1,147
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
If the car was pretty clean and free of any grit when you started, it is unlikely you caused the scratches. The area immediately in front of the rear lip does trap bits of junk and can accumulate scratches as people wipe off the car over the years (especially dry wiping it). Scratches from a polisher would generally be semi-circular in shape, rather than linear. Also, as you bring up the surface gloss of a vehicle, some imperfections that were not visible or obvious can show up that were previously masked by a dull finish.
Thank you again for the help. The scratches were actually linear so at this point Im assuming they were already there. I think using the Porter Cable is going to take some getting used to. Especially until I receive the correct size pads. 6.5" pads on a 5" backing plate just arent working for a novice like myself. So I have some 5.5" on order. Hopefully I make out a bit better tomorrow. Being I washed the car today and plan on using the porter cable a bit more tomorrow would you suggest just dusting the car off? Another wash is not necessary is it?
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:14 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST