BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
2694
Rep
4,146
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Ask a Type 1 anything

Type 1, Juvenile, Insulin Dependent, they are all the same.

I've been such for 37 years. If you have a question, I will answer to the best of my ability.

There you go, Lups

From the parental viewpoint, kscarrol might be willing/able to answer some questions.
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
8392
Rep
17,255
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

An epic idea Wade (i first spelled your handle correctly, sorry!)!

Okay, here it goes!

1. What's the most stupid prejudice you've faced?
2. I gathered from my study session a while back (as i mentioned, my friend's kid has this and since the pup spends a lot of time with my family, i did the whole freaking out thing i always do!) greens are the way to feed a diabetic. I'm an avid baker but do you have some low sugar treat suggestions to share?

3. How long did it take you to start managing your disease?

4. We like taking long hikes with the dogs, what would you suggest for me to keep in hand for emergencies (diabetes related!)

5.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
The constant fight for power on both sides means we getting more and more extreme and it seems the common sense stuff or new ideas don't have a shot in hell of passing.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
2694
Rep
4,146
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

1. What's the most stupid prejudice you've faced?
I'll ASSume you mean as a diabetic - none. I get a sick kick out of taking my shot right there at the fancy dining table, and then making an exaggerated sigh afterwards.

2. I gathered from my study session a while back (as i mentioned, my friend's kid has this and since the pup spends a lot of time with my family, i did the whole freaking out thing i always do!) greens are the way to feed a diabetic. I'm an avid baker but do you have some low sugar treat suggestions to share?
COMPLEX carbs are the best. Whole grain flour, some of the alternative "sugar" sources like agave. I'm a freaking cookie monster, they can't be in the house or I smell them and eat the whole box. Then I take a bunch of insulin to counteract.

3. How long did it take you to start managing your disease?
About 3 days. I couldn't leave the hospital until I could give myself injections. One very brave nurse allowed me to inject her with saline solution. I was given an orange to practice on when she wasn't around. Back then, even the simple finger-prick blood tests didn't exist yet. We did the periodic urine test, but that only tells you if you are over about 250.

4. We like taking long hikes with the dogs, what would you suggest for me to keep in hand for emergencies (diabetes related!)
Here, there are the little tubes of glucose tablets. I have them stashed EVERYWHERE. Each vehicle has 1-2 tubes in the glove box. All my motorcycle jackets/vests have a tube in a pocket. Sports bags, backpacks all carry a tube as standard fare. The initial investment in the tubes is a little more, but now I buy the glucose tablets in bulk containers, and refill the little tubes as needed.
My go-to to help PREVENT issues while hiking is peanut butter and honey sammiches.
Appreciate 1
Lups8392

      06-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
F30lolz's Avatar
United_States
1483
Rep
1,184
Posts

Drives: 09 335i / 11 Caddy CTS Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Have you ever considered a Chevy Cavalier Type 10 in your lower case g days?
__________________
Current 09 335i/4/6MT M Performance body kit all around w/M Performance Exhaust, shifter & boot, Style 313's 19's and other mods?/11 Cadillac CTS Coupe
Past e28 87' 528e's/e34's 92' 525-535/e39's 01' 525 - 99' 528 - 01' M5
03' e46 325xi/13' e84 x1 xDrive 35i/13' Mustang/13' F30 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
8392
Rep
17,255
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
1. What's the most stupid prejudice you've faced?
I'll ASSume you mean as a diabetic - none. I get a sick kick out of taking my shot right there at the fancy dining table, and then making an exaggerated sigh afterwards.

2. I gathered from my study session a while back (as i mentioned, my friend's kid has this and since the pup spends a lot of time with my family, i did the whole freaking out thing i always do!) greens are the way to feed a diabetic. I'm an avid baker but do you have some low sugar treat suggestions to share?
COMPLEX carbs are the best. Whole grain flour, some of the alternative "sugar" sources like agave. I'm a freaking cookie monster, they can't be in the house or I smell them and eat the whole box. Then I take a bunch of insulin to counteract.

3. How long did it take you to start managing your disease?
About 3 days. I couldn't leave the hospital until I could give myself injections. One very brave nurse allowed me to inject her with saline solution. I was given an orange to practice on when she wasn't around. Back then, even the simple finger-prick blood tests didn't exist yet. We did the periodic urine test, but that only tells you if you are over about 250.

4. We like taking long hikes with the dogs, what would you suggest for me to keep in hand for emergencies (diabetes related!)
Here, there are the little tubes of glucose tablets. I have them stashed EVERYWHERE. Each vehicle has 1-2 tubes in the glove box. All my motorcycle jackets/vests have a tube in a pocket. Sports bags, backpacks all carry a tube as standard fare. The initial investment in the tubes is a little more, but now I buy the glucose tablets in bulk containers, and refill the little tubes as needed.
My go-to to help PREVENT issues while hiking is peanut butter and honey sammiches.
Epic!

With a kid i understood it's harder for a noobie to spot problems, but what would you say is the most easy to spot symptom of trouble, and how dtrict are you with your feeding time rhythm?

Lol it must seem like i come up with these stupid questions just to bother you, but it would feel wrong to exclude their kids from our day trips for this, and i try yo keep them safe (broken bones and sprained limbs don't count).

This is an epic idea for a thread though. A few basic tricks explained can be life savers.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
The constant fight for power on both sides means we getting more and more extreme and it seems the common sense stuff or new ideas don't have a shot in hell of passing.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
2694
Rep
4,146
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Have you ever considered a Chevy Cavalier Type 10 in your lower case g days?
Is this some sort of Kama sutra position I'm not familiar with? #whippersnappers.
Appreciate 1
Lups8392

      06-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
2694
Rep
4,146
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Epic!

With a kid i understood it's harder for a noobie to spot problems, but what would you say is the most easy to spot symptom of trouble, and how dtrict are you with your feeding time rhythm?

Lol it must seem like i come up with these stupid questions just to bother you, but it would feel wrong to exclude their kids from our day trips for this, and i try yo keep them safe (broken bones and sprained limbs don't count).

This is an epic idea for a thread though. A few basic tricks explained can be life savers.
The eyes. I have several friends who can just look at my eyes and know I'm not there, and they give me candy/soda/tell me to get something.

The other is you ask me a simple question like "what time is it?" and I answer "The bananas fell out of the tree." If in doubt, give some sugar. If I am high, and not functioning mentally, giving me a bit more sugar isn't going to hurt anything. If I'm low and you hold out, one of us is going to the hospital.

The third, and probably pretty easy during a hike, is lack of motor coordination. I stumble down the hallway in search of a snack, and bounce from wall to wall. Wife/sons head for the fridge to get me a drink.

Rhythm is EVERYTHING for me. The only thing that messes that up more is disruption of sleep. 7-12-6 is perfect timing for me. It drives me crazy, after 20+ years, that my wife still asks me if I want to eat something at 2:30 in the afternoon, or go to "breakfast" at 10. I can vary an hour or so either way, but any more than that leads to the bouncing from high to low.
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
1721
Rep
10,144
Posts

Drives: '97 332ti, '16 F82 M4
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (2)

What's your HbA1c currently and are you in any sort of community program or 1:1 outpatient care management program?

Do you you have an individualized care plan that you are assigned goals (along with your care team) to work towards, and interventions that address your goals?

Is anybody reminding you of regular eye and foot exams, as well as monitoring blood sugars? If so, how?
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
2694
Rep
4,146
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
What's your HbA1c currently and are you in any sort of community program or 1:1 outpatient care management program?

Do you you have an individualized care plan that you are assigned goals (along with your care team) to work towards, and interventions that address your goals?

Is anybody reminding you of regular eye and foot exams, as well as monitoring blood sugars? If so, how?
A1c is running 7.1 - 7.3. I "participate" pretty regularly with my endocrinologist's secondary, drug testing office in trials. During those, I have weekly reviews of my blood sugar diaries. The last few included meters that uploaded all tests to the cloud, where study Dr.s reviewed it for each monthly visit. I need to get back into another of those, since 90 day supply of insulin runs $300 WITH insurance.

Endocrinologist, ophthalmologist, optometrist , and insurance all remind me to get annual dialations. I've had one laser treatment about a dozen years ago to treat micro-aneurism in the right eye. I can still see after-image of those spots when I look at too-bright a light and then blink.

I do self-inspection of my feet. I know my skin heals poorly, so keep a close eye on any flesh wounds.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
1721
Rep
10,144
Posts

Drives: '97 332ti, '16 F82 M4
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
A1c is running 7.1 - 7.3. I "participate" pretty regularly with my endocrinologist's secondary, drug testing office in trials. During those, I have weekly reviews of my blood sugar diaries. The last few included meters that uploaded all tests to the cloud, where study Dr.s reviewed it for each monthly visit. I need to get back into another of those, since 90 day supply of insulin runs $300 WITH insurance.

Endocrinologist, ophthalmologist, optometrist , and insurance all remind me to get annual dialations. I've had one laser treatment about a dozen years ago to treat micro-aneurism in the right eye. I can still see after-image of those spots when I look at too-bright a light and then blink.

I do self-inspection of my feet. I know my skin heals poorly, so keep a close eye on any flesh wounds.
Thanks, and glad you appear to be managing! I know it is not easy.

Diabetes is a tough one to manage well. If left unmanaged, frequently leads to comorbidities, like hypertension, heart failure, depression, etc.

This thread might help others. Kudos for starting it!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #11
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
2694
Rep
4,146
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Thanks, and glad you appear to be managing! I know it is not easy.

Diabetes is a tough one to manage well. If left unmanaged, frequently leads to comorbidities, like hypertension, heart failure, depression, etc.

This thread might help others. Kudos for starting it!
Depression is real. Extreme frustration while sprawled out on the floor during hypo is bad too. Of all the "chronic" diseases out there, this would still be my first choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #12
infinitekid2002
Creepin while ya sleepin
infinitekid2002's Avatar
United_States
166
Rep
3,633
Posts

Drives: Like a Bat out of Hell
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: City of Angels

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.71]
How does this affect your beer and alchie drinking?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 03:46 PM   #13
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
2694
Rep
4,146
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
How does this affect your beer and alchie drinking?
Don't drink beer very often. Tend to drink alcohol neat, to reduce carb intake. Have developed a "Diabetic Cadillac" for margies: Tequila, Gran Marnier, Ice, Agave. Shaken, not stirred.

Dr keeps telling me that alcohol LOWERS blood sugar levels. I have not experienced such an effect during drinking binges. . .
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #14
kscarrol
Colonel
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
420
Rep
2,738
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Are you going to out grow the juvenile diabetes?






Can't tell you how of my friends ask this about my son who a type 1.
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 2
Lups8392

      06-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #15
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
2694
Rep
4,146
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Are you going to out grow the juvenile diabetes?






Can't tell you how of my friends ask this about my son who a type 1.
I don't want to grow up
I'm a type 1 kid


I remember my roommate in the hospital was about 25. He HATED being told he had juvenile diabetes

We would salivate together over Burger King ads thinking burgers were a thing of the past
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 07:38 PM   #16
kscarrol
Colonel
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
420
Rep
2,738
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Dr keeps telling me that alcohol LOWERS blood sugar levels. I have not experienced such an effect during drinking binges. . .
It does lower blood sugar levels and the worst part is it can make the glucagon (used in emergencies for diabetics) ineffective. Glucagon is the diabetic's equivalent of the epipen...
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 07:42 PM   #17
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
2694
Rep
4,146
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Dr keeps telling me that alcohol LOWERS blood sugar levels. I have not experienced such an effect during drinking binges. . .
It does lower blood sugar levels and the worst part is it can make the glucagon (used in emergencies for diabetics) ineffective. Glucagon is the diabetic's equivalent of the epipen...
Live fast die young. I haven't had a glucagon pen in about 20 years and even those rare times when paramedics visited me it was always oral

Damn I was supposed to be dead before I got THIS old
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 07:44 PM   #18
kscarrol
Colonel
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
420
Rep
2,738
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I don't want to grow up
I'm a type 1 kid


I remember my roommate in the hospital was about 25. He HATED being told he had juvenile diabetes

We would salivate together over Burger King ads thinking burgers were a thing of the past
I think most doctors would be appalled at my son's diet! But he is a 16 year-old kid. As we were told by our endocrinologist when he was first diagnosed, sometimes you have to let a kid be a kid! But we cook at home at least five days if not all seven.

Pizza is his splurge and thankfully he loves thin crust pizza! I can tell you based on his blood sugar levels, Domino's is the worst shit you can eat.
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #19
kscarrol
Colonel
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
420
Rep
2,738
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Live fast die young. I haven't had a glucagon pen in about 20 years and even those rare times when paramedics visited me it was always oral

Damn I was supposed to be dead before I got THIS old
Ha! Keep showing those old doctors how full of shit they were!!

We have a glucagon pen, almost never carry it. Sugar tablets, liquid glucose shots (not his favorite) and apple juice do the trick for my son. Been eleven years since he was diagnosed and we've never had an emergency situation (knock on wood)!
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #20
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
2694
Rep
4,146
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I don't want to grow up
I'm a type 1 kid


I remember my roommate in the hospital was about 25. He HATED being told he had juvenile diabetes

We would salivate together over Burger King ads thinking burgers were a thing of the past
I think most doctors would be appalled at my son's diet! But he is a 16 year-old kid. As we were told by our endocrinologist when he was first diagnosed, sometimes you have to let a kid be a kid! But we cook at home at least five days if not all seven.

Pizza is his splurge and thankfully he love thin crust pizza! I can tell you based on his blood sugar levels, Domino's is the worst shit you can eat.
All my friends wanted to go eat pizza those first couple years as a teen diabetic. I try not to eat it for DINNER. Any other time my post prandials are fine
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #21
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
ShopVac's Avatar
339
Rep
696
Posts

Drives: '08 335xi cpe - aero kit, 6MT
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
So...I have a fear of needles. So bad, I instantly pass out when I see one. Actually, doesn't even need to be me getting the needle, if I saw you doing this to yourself, I'd be lights out.

If I was diagnosed with type 1...how long do you think I'd live (obviously...not being able to inject myself)?
Appreciate 1
Lups8392

      06-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #22
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
2694
Rep
4,146
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
So...I have a fear of needles. So bad, I instantly pass out when I see one. Actually, doesn't even need to be me getting the needle, if I saw you doing this to yourself, I'd be lights out.

If I was diagnosed with type 1...how long do you think I'd live (obviously...not being able to inject myself)?
I nearly passed out the last time a dr DISCUSSED me and an interaction with a needle. Any time I'm asked about allergies I always tell them needles

When I saw my cousin dosing before my diagnosis I felt about like you. 37 years later I'm doing 4-5 a day

You'd probably be a pump person. 1 needle every 10 days or so
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST