BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
lukester
Second Lieutenant
Germany
16
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Munich, Germany

iTrader: (0)

100% pure driving - Nuerburgring Nordschleife e92 M3 onboard video

Hi guys,

here's another one of last Monday.
Didn't even expect it but I could improve by 6sec from 7:42min to 7:36min.

Yeah ... now we're talking.

Basically it was a 7:36min long tightrope walk with some scary moments.
But hey! Isn't that basically what we're all looking for when driving on the track?
Yeah - always drive save but also push the bar a little bit.



Got a new idea: If it's possible in 7:36min it should be possible in 7 dot twentysomething, too

Enjoy!
here's the direct HD-Link which I recommend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Pk6F91UfM&hd=1


Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
44
Rep
3,884
Posts

Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC

iTrader: (5)

My God!!!



What tires are you running?
__________________
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
lukester
Second Lieutenant
Germany
16
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Munich, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
My God!!!



What tires are you running?
265/35-18 Michelin Pilot Cups all around on 9,5x18 stock BMW wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
44
Rep
3,884
Posts

Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC

iTrader: (5)

Nice, and nice save @ 7:40
__________________
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Kwando
Captain
Kwando's Avatar
13
Rep
999
Posts

Drives: Bianchi Super Pista
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Impressive.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,483
Posts

Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Awesome
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
ilya335
Private First Class
3
Rep
162
Posts

Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West L.A.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
Nice, and nice save @ 7:40
+1. Considering the limited amount of run off there, that was clutch!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
adc
Brigadier General
54
Rep
4,157
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (6)

Very impressive.

My laps at the Ring were nothing like this at all lol...

Not to encourage any extra bench racing because there's plenty already on the forum, but would you mind sharing some of the modifications you have? I guess I'm trying to understand the difference between the "official" 8:05 and the 7:36, with the last one beating GT3 times...
__________________

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
jml
Captain
jml's Avatar
17
Rep
988
Posts

Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

Wow! You should work for BMW, they can stop car development. I don't think the E9X even crested 8 minute in their hands.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #10
lukester
Second Lieutenant
Germany
16
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Munich, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Very impressive.

My laps at the Ring were nothing like this at all lol...

Not to encourage any extra bench racing because there's plenty already on the forum, but would you mind sharing some of the modifications you have? I guess I'm trying to understand the difference between the "official" 8:05 and the 7:36, with the last one beating GT3 times...
The "official" 8:05 is the time measured by Sport Auto.

Now it get's a little bit complicated. During normal public times we don't drive the full lap including the "Doettinger Hoehe" straight.
That's the long straight where I enter at the beginning of the video and finish the lap.
So we measure bridge to bridge as there's a bridge at the beginning and the end.

The full straight is about 24sec.

2nd thing is that Sport Auto doesn't measure the "T13" part of the track as during industrial testing on the track they use this part for entering and exit so there's a speed limit - that's why Sport Auto just completely leaves it away. This part is about 8sec long which I'm driving during public times.

So to get a rough comparison. 7:36 + 24sec @Doettinger Hoehe = 8:00 - 8sec for T13 = 7:53min "Sport Auto Time".

Horst did a 8:05 with a stock M3 but also with Michelin Pilot Cup tires.
So I did roughly ~12sec faster.

You can see his onboard run of his hot lap here:
http://www.sportauto.de/supertest/bm...d-1036129.html
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:28 AM   #11
Autobahn335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Autobahn335i's Avatar
Luxembourg
28
Rep
1,603
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Luxembourg

iTrader: (5)

Do you take people for a ride in your car? I'll be at the Ring this sunday
__________________
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Íhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Powerflex Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #12
lukester
Second Lieutenant
Germany
16
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Munich, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Do you take people for a ride in your car? I'll be at the Ring this sunday
Sorry, but I won't be there this sunday...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
Jaypod
Brigadier General
Jaypod's Avatar
No_Country
66
Rep
4,964
Posts

Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Nice!! Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #14
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
98
Rep
6,839
Posts

Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Finally got the chance to watch it!Very nice
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
Erhan
Colonel
Erhan's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
2,466
Posts

Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Awesome driving!
I'll be there on Aug 26th. I made reservations to rent a MINI for 6 laps in the morning. Hope I bump in to you, so you can give me some pointers
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #16
lukester
Second Lieutenant
Germany
16
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Munich, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
Awesome driving!
I'll be there on Aug 26th. I made reservations to rent a MINI for 6 laps in the morning. Hope I bump in to you, so you can give me some pointers
I'll be there on August 26th ....
Just look for a white M3 with blue wheels and come over.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #17
adc
Brigadier General
54
Rep
4,157
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukester View Post
The "official" 8:05 is the time measured by Sport Auto.

Now it get's a little bit complicated. During normal public times we don't drive the full lap including the "Doettinger Hoehe" straight.
That's the long straight where I enter at the beginning of the video and finish the lap.
So we measure bridge to bridge as there's a bridge at the beginning and the end.

The full straight is about 24sec.

2nd thing is that Sport Auto doesn't measure the "T13" part of the track as during industrial testing on the track they use this part for entering and exit so there's a speed limit - that's why Sport Auto just completely leaves it away. This part is about 8sec long which I'm driving during public times.

So to get a rough comparison. 7:36 + 24sec @Doettinger Hoehe = 8:00 - 8sec for T13 = 7:53min "Sport Auto Time".

Horst did a 8:05 with a stock M3 but also with Michelin Pilot Cup tires.
So I did roughly ~12sec faster.

You can see his onboard run of his hot lap here:
http://www.sportauto.de/supertest/bm...d-1036129.html
This is the first explanation i've seen that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up. Now I'll be able to compare, roughly, times seen on public lapping days with times seen on industrial/private days.

And again, nice driving.

Maybe I'll ping you on my next Euro Delivery if you don't mind...
__________________

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
Erhan
Colonel
Erhan's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
2,466
Posts

Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukester View Post
I'll be there on August 26th ....
Just look for a white M3 with blue wheels and come over.
Oh wow, that's cool! I will see you soon!
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
paradocs98
Major
paradocs98's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
1,347
Posts

Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

You are livin' the dream, my friend!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #20
paradocs98
Major
paradocs98's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
1,347
Posts

Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
Nice, and nice save @ 7:40
Woo-hoo! I puckered when I saw that slide popping out of the Karussel. Quick hands!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #21
klammer
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,245
Posts

Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
You are livin' the dream, my friend!
Awesome
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #22
benjammin
Private
1
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: Jetta 1.8T, '12 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: metro Detroit

iTrader: (0)

Impressive driving! That must be one happy M3
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST